Projector arrived with shattered bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector arrived with shattered bowl

I ordered two pairs of G37 sedan projectors on the Black Friday sale. Three of the projectors had some minor cracks here and there, but are otherwise in decent working condition given some epoxy. The fourth, however, was shattered, and no amount of epoxy can save it.

I realize that it's a closeout item, but still I feel I need to let you know about this.

Pics:

Opened wrapping after hearing clunky noises:

Whoopsie...

Another piece wedged inside the shield mechanism:

The rest of the items in the box were undamaged, thankfully. Perhaps even closeout projectors should get separate boxes for shipping?

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

That's unfortunate. On a side note, I didn't realize the G37's bowl isn't cast metal. That's a very clean cut though, as if it was a brittle failure from a single wedge impact.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Yeah, all the cuts are relationship relatively clean, but I'm not sure I will be able to glue them back together. I'll give it a go, though.

Ideally I'd prefer a new bowl as the front half works fine, so I'm hoping TRS finds it in their goodness of their hearts to send me one.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

+1
        Having a break like that may not be a good idea, even with glue.
        Is the break such that only one side of the beam is affected? If that's the case, then you may have yourself a compact secondary projector to help with the side illumination, but has a narrower physical dimension that can fit snugly next to a main pair of projectors. The projector lenses (of 1 regular projector and 1 chipped bowl projector) may be able to sit close enough to each other to look like avalon projectors from the outside.

Comment

Looks like shipping damage - the plastic bowls on these shatter REALLY easily and the box was likely kicked/dropped/smashed in just the "wrong way" causing it to break - TRS wouldn't pack an item up like that and ship it.

We have one here that was cracked very similarly - we epoxied it all back together and it works just fine. We likely won't use it on a build - but it's still a good "tester" unit.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFlameCustoms View Post
            Looks like shipping damage - the plastic bowls on these shatter REALLY easily and the box was likely kicked/dropped/smashed in just the "wrong way" causing it to break - TRS wouldn't pack an item up like that and ship it.

We have one here that was cracked very similarly - we epoxied it all back together and it works just fine. We likely won't use it on a build - but it's still a good "tester" unit.
            I kinda need it for a build, so I'll have to make a few decisions here, as the customer specifically asked for the G37 units after having seen the output from the Audi build I did earlier this year. I may be able to sway him to another projector instead.

I've emailed Matt about this, so we'll see how it turns out.

My retrofits

Comment

I still vote for making a twin hybrid out of one undamaged bowl and the shattered one; two lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                +1
                Having a break like that may not be a good idea, even with glue.
                Is the break such that only one side of the beam is affected? If that's the case, then you may have yourself a compact secondary projector to help with the side illumination, but has a narrower physical dimension that can fit snugly next to a main pair of projectors. The projector lenses (of 1 regular projector and 1 chipped bowl projector) may be able to sit close enough to each other to look like avalon projectors from the outside.
                Most of the right side is broken off, as well as the lower front left part, along with both mounts to the front half.

I have barely looked at it since I opened the package as I haven't had time, and I won't have time to look at it again until after Christmas... just too much else going on.

Wrt the dual lens option, I'm not sure that would work wither, though undeniably cool

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                  Wrt the dual lens option, I'm not sure that would work wither, though undeniably cool
                  I bet it'll work much better than PnP LEDs in a projector.

Comment

Doesn't take much to beat that benchmark

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                      Doesn't take much to beat that benchmark
                      Tell that to the general modder. You'll get a different reaction.

Comment

Working...
                      X