2015+ Morimoto Elite HID 9006 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015+ Morimoto Elite HID 9006 problems

So, I purchased the 2015+ Morimoto Elite HID kit for my 2015 Dodge Durango Limited to swap over from my halogens. Install was fairly easy, but once I got everything installed, the headlights wouldn’t come on. When I turn them on, the DRL’s stay on (which should shut off) but fog lights come on like they should. I’ve double checked everything, but can’t seem to find an issue. I’ve got power running at least up to the fuse on the relay harness, but when I disconnect the relay harness from the ballast and check for power at that connection, I’ve got none. Possible bad relay harness? Has anyone ran into this issue before? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Some Diagnostics:
    - Make sure +/- aren't reversed
    - Try without relay harness
    - Try with separate 12V source or directly to the battery

Depending on what you find with the diagnostics, it can lead you to the fix. It could also be the CAN-Bus not seeing the Halogen bulb and giving issue. May need separate module to compensate. I think TRS sells one.
    www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
    Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
    Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

So, checked all connections for polarity issues and they were all correct.
      Tried 2 different power sources with same results.
      Can’t bypass relay harness due to it being one assembly running power to my ballasts. Relays do have power going into them. Checked with a multimeter after cracking them open.

it’s almost as if the vehicle doesn’t know to kill the DRL’s and supply power to the headlights? Kit has built in Canbis, resistors going to OEM headlight connections, and. Capacitor inline with the main relay side (passenger side in my case since that’s the side closest to the power source). I’ll upload a picture of the kit here shortly. Any other things I can check?

Comment

Figured it out!
        Traced back the lines with my multimeter all the way back to the headlight assembly. Had voltage coming from the factory harness, but nothing from the harness connecting to it. Without that voltage signal, no power is running back to the capacitor, the resistors, or the ballast. So, after investigating the connections for the 20th time, finally found a bent pin in the connector that runs to the factory bulb connector in the headlight assembly. That one bent pin kept the whole system from turning on. Hope this helps someone down the road that has similar issues!

Comment

Things like this are often a hidden damaged or incorrect connection. Glad to hear you found it.
          www.fadingarrow.com

2001 Black Firebird Formula 5.7L V8 --- 75th Anniversary Package
          Headlights: Sinolyn 3" D2H Projectors with 35 watt HID

2013 Blue Mustang GT 5.0 V8 Premium
          Headlights: Stock D3S Bi-Xenon

Comment

Working...
          X