Morimoto HID Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morimoto HID Troubleshooting

OK, So I got my kit middle of the week before last, over the weekend last weekend I got it all installed and fired up and after double checking connections it fired up several times in a row so I left the car parked until Monday (it's my work vehicle), I get in the car on Monday Night after work and the driver-side bulb doesn't illuminate, I cycle the switch half a dozen times to no avail, Out of time to deal with it at the office I drive home with one headlight, but I decide to stop in town and pop the hood, I reposition the relays and toggle the headlights off then on again and the light starts working (Note I had to cycle the switch), it continued to work fine that night for the next cycle or 2 it was run after eating dinner, next night no problems, following night a repeat on Monday, jostle around relays and cycle the headlight switch and it works again, just back and forth never know if it's gonna fire but easy to make it fire if it doesn't. FINALLY tonight when pulling the car up onto ramps to do an oil change in the morning the light doesn't fire, so I pull the power cord from the ballast (the one coming from the relay harness), hoping to confirm a faulty relay or something in the relay harness, I slap my multimeter on it and I have sufficient voltage (11.92v with the car turned off), I proceed to plug the harness back to the ballast and this time it fires up (this is the first time I didn't play with the relays or toggle the headlight switch). My ballasts are mounted with double sided 3M tape so moving them isn't easy to try to determine if it's an intermittent ballast issue, but i just feel like it's a relay or harness issue because otherwise why would all those other times require I cycle the headlights off then on again to get it to work, to me that just sounds like a relay not switching properly, but I just can't prove it definitively.

This shouldn't be a canbus issue as the car doesn't have Canbus.
    Last edited by Daniel644; September 29th, 2019, 03:18 AM. Reason: addiotional info

Originally posted by Daniel644 View Post
    OK, So I got my kit middle of the week before last, over the weekend last weekend I got it all installed and fired up and after double checking connections it fired up several times in a row so I left the car parked until Monday (it's my work vehicle), I get in the car on Monday Night after work and the driver-side bulb doesn't illuminate, I cycle the switch half a dozen times to no avail, Out of time to deal with it at the office I drive home with one headlight, but I decide to stop in town and pop the hood, I reposition the relays and toggle the headlights off then on again and the light starts working (Note I had to cycle the switch), it continued to work fine that night for the next cycle or 2 it was run after eating dinner, next night no problems, following night a repeat on Monday, jostle around relays and cycle the headlight switch and it works again, just back and forth never know if it's gonna fire but easy to make it fire if it doesn't. FINALLY tonight when pulling the car up onto ramps to do an oil change in the morning the light doesn't fire, so I pull the power cord from the ballast (the one coming from the relay harness), hoping to confirm a faulty relay or something in the relay harness, I slap my multimeter on it and I have sufficient voltage (11.92v with the car turned off), I proceed to plug the harness back to the ballast and this time it fires up (this is the first time I didn't play with the relays or toggle the headlight switch). My ballasts are mounted with double sided 3M tape so moving them isn't easy to try to determine if it's an intermittent ballast issue, but i just feel like it's a relay or harness issue because otherwise why would all those other times require I cycle the headlights off then on again to get it to work, to me that just sounds like a relay not switching properly, but I just can't prove it definitively.

This shouldn't be a canbus issue as the car doesn't have Canbus.
    I'm thinking this is actually the connector isn't making good contact with the pins on the ballast. I'm having a similar issue on a customers car. If you have a spare female9006 pigtail, cut off your old one and solder in a new one.

Comment

Now i'm having trouble with this site, it says I have a reply by another user but I can't see it, and also the background of this text box I'm typing in is the sites background so I can't see the words I'm even typing.

Comment

Originally posted by kelaog1 View Post

I'm thinking this is actually the connector isn't making good contact with the pins on the ballast. I'm having a similar issue on a customers car. If you have a spare female9006 pigtail, cut off your old one and solder in a new one.

Here's the post

Comment

Originally posted by kelaog1 View Post

Alright, I can see your post now, not sure why it wouldn't load earlier. I don't think it's the connector because since I posted this I have had 2 times where neither side fired and a time where the passenger side one didn't fire. Honestly it feels like a bad ground in the relay harness but i'm grounded to the chassis ground of the battery so I don't see how that could be possible. But typically random weird electrical like this would indicate a bad ground. I'm tempted to just yank it and send it back and get the LED drop in's which don't use relay harness's.

Edit: So I decided to jump up there and relocate the ground directly to the battery the same way I had the positive directly on the battery, on first attempt it was another NOTHING firing off, had to unplug and reseat the connection between the stock plug and the adapter harness (but to be fair I put some tension on that connection when relocating the ground wire.
          Last edited by Daniel644; October 9th, 2019, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X