9008/H13 Morimoto Elite install on 2005 Ford SuperDuty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9008/H13 Morimoto Elite install on 2005 Ford SuperDuty

My order #100192158 was placed 11/2017 and was delayed 4 weeks due to backorders, so I ended up missing my only window to install due to my work load. I finally had a weekend without interruption to start and complete the install. It was actually much easier than I anticipated and all went well... but I have several questions after all items have been installed (MM Elite system, XB 5000K bulbs, LED840, LED872 & LED873)

1. When I turn on the low beams my factory driving lights will work. But when I turn on the high beams the driving light do not work. Also if the lows are on with the driving lights and I flash the high beams the driving lights go off and then come back on after releasing the high beam lever.
    2. Switching between low & high beams shows a change in the bulb illumination... but not very much. In fact it almost looks like the high beam shows a broader area including more lower illumination.
    3. Flashers and/or turn signals blink very rapid, I would guess twice a fast as with stock bulbs. It acts like the stock system when it has a malfunction or when you have a bulb out. . All are working... just blink at a very fast interval.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need a bi-xenon/motocontrol or whatever, since it sounds like you low beam turns off when hit the highs.
    You also need LED flasher relay or resistors on your indicators to stop the hyper flashing.

I'm not familiar with your vehicle so someone else can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
      You need a bi-xenon/motocontrol or whatever, since it sounds like you low beam turns off when hit the highs.
      You also need LED flasher relay or resistors on your indicators to stop the hyper flashing.

I'm not familiar with your vehicle so someone else can chime in.
      niZmO_Man - thanks for the reply. Below is what I have found so far...

Q1 - this is a non issue as I found out that the driving/fog lights do not work when the high beams are on! Factory thing with Ford setup.

Q2 - Still a bit unsure as to what or if there is anything wrong. Just not a lot a difference in what I see... but I am in the city with all the street lights. Will be able to verify when we head to the mountains in a couple weeks. The Morimoto Elite system came with the bi-xenon/motocontrol, harness, ballasts & igniters and the bulbs are definitely moving forward and back when the high/low is switched as there is only the single element in the XB bulbs.

Q3 - thanks niZmO_Man > hyper flash of the turn signals was corrected with an LED compatible flasher (Notiva EP27)

Comment

One thing I missed: HID kit in halogen reflectors = big no-no

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
          One thing I missed: HID kit in halogen reflectors = big no-no
          Can you explain the "big no-no"? This is the recommended option by TRS for my vehicle (2005 Ford F350 Super Duty) with no other accessories recommended. I adjusted the vertical placement of each bulb at 3" below bulb centerline, used known vertical wall at 25 ft on a known flat & level distance away. I have not had any vehicle signal (high flash) that the bulbs were set to high. The reason for switching was due to our travels through the mountains of eastern AZ where elk are ever present at the side of the roadways, the stock lamps are just terrible and cause "white knuckle" driving.

Any further recommendations (from anyone) would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Whether or not an oncoming vehicle flashes you is not an indication that you’re doing anything wrong or not. The fact that you installed an HID kit into your halogen reflectors that were built and intended for a halogen bulb is where the “no-no” comes into play. Just because TRS says that’s recommended for your truck doesn’t mean that’s what you should do. They just know that what they suggested will work with your vehicle’s wiring and bulb type. What needs happen is a projector retrofit if you’re going to run a type of HID setup.

Comment

TRS exists to make money, otherwise it would stop existing. But if you're not worried about glare and lots of foreground, that's up to you.
              I'd go for a pair of diode dynamic stage 6" light bars in wide configuration (and go back to halogen bulbs and save up for a retrofit).

Comment

Fun reading: https://www.slideshare.net/MattConte...ing-whitepaper

Comment

A retrofit is pretty easy on these headlights. You can see the retrofit I did here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...f350-superduty

I used morimoto d2s 4.0. Which required a bit of enlarging of the bulbs socket hole. I personally rather run OEMs D2S bulbs which is why I went that route

Super easy retrofit would be the morimoto mini h7. They would bolt right through the bulb hole. No modification necessary.

If you want to be able to see to the sides of the road or even just better in general you'll be much happier with a true retrofit. And everyone else on the road will thank you.

Comment

We've all been there, trying to find a good plug n play. Once you retrofit, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

Comment

Working...
                    X