Morimoto H1 Kit not turning on occasionally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morimoto H1 Kit not turning on occasionally

I have the Morimoto H1 kit from TRS installed since 2015, I've never had any issues with it besides normal replacement of bulbs as they wore out.

Here's what came in my kit:
    - 2x projectors
    - 2x shroud
    - 2x morimoto XB35 (35W) ballasts
    - 2x morimoto XB Igniter (AMP)
    - 2x H1 bulbs
    - 1x wire harness
    - 1x headlight sealant

3 Months ago, for the first time I turned on my headlights and my HIDs did not turn on. I didn't think much of it at the time as it was winter and I thought it had something to do with the cold. After about 15 minutes of the car running, I turned the lights off and back on and this time I had light.

Over the next 3 months, I would run into this issue where sometimes I turn my headlights on and I get no light. Then, 15-30 minutes on the road, I try again and the lights work. I started to notice that this issue is not consistent, which is why I assume it's not an issue with my battery. I went about 2 weeks without running into the issue during this time.

One night I came home after driving through a pretty bad snowstorm and the next morning the lights didn't turn on. I started to think I may have a leak somewhere in the wiring. However, what's throwing this guess off is that I've also driven through heavy snow/rain on other occasions after and the lights work fine the next day. The lights have also not turned on after not having driven through snow/rain.

It's always both lights that don't turn on. They don't flicker or turn off once they are lit. Once they're lit they have no problem turning back on if I turn them off and on. I only run into the issue of them not turning back on after the car has been parked for a while.

I tried turning the lights on in accessory mode, I do hear some clicking sounds coming from the engine bay so there is power getting somewhere, but I'm not sure which component may need to be replaced.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it to determine what needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HID Planet! What wire harness are you running, a standard single beam one or a Motocontrol H4 or H13?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Check the OEM plug on your harness. I recently bought an H11 harness which now I am in total amazement it worked the first time and the lights did not turn off on me on the road! Turns out the plastic gasket that "converts" the universal 9006 male on the harness to H11 does not fit into the female side. The pins got all bent and I think it was just barely touching the female contacts. I had to remove the plastic piece inside the male connector on the harness and make a custom pigtail with a 9006 plug and a junkyard-sourced OEM plug for my vehicle to get it to connect securely.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
        Welcome to HID Planet! What wire harness are you running, a standard single beam one or a Motocontrol H4 or H13?
        Originally posted by EuroDriver View Post
        Check the OEM plug on your harness. I recently bought an H11 harness which now I am in total amazement it worked the first time and the lights did not turn off on me on the road! Turns out the plastic gasket that "converts" the universal 9006 male on the harness to H11 does not fit into the female side. The pins got all bent and I think it was just barely touching the female contacts. I had to remove the plastic piece inside the male connector on the harness and make a custom pigtail with a 9006 plug and a junkyard-sourced OEM plug for my vehicle to get it to connect securely.
        Thanks for sharing, I'll give that a look. I have been running this setup unchanged for 5 years though so I don't think I have a fitment issue. Probably just seals wearing out over time.

Comment

Ah so it started out of nowhere. Yeah check all connections, specifically the fuse for corrosion and the single input (having just one fuse and input isn't really the greatest idea on Morimoto's part).

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably check the fuse first on the harness first. I'll post back here if i figure it out in case someone runs into the same issue someday

Comment

Working...
            X