Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Hyundai Tucson w/ H7 TRS Morimoto Pro elite and HD relay - Flicker/low beam indicator issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Hyundai Tucson w/ H7 TRS Morimoto Pro elite and HD relay - Flicker/low beam indicator issue

Hey HID Planet!

I am new(ish) to the scene of HIDs. I purchased a cheap set a LONG time ago for my Honda and it lasted forever. More recently I purchased a 2018 Tucson and wanted to install a higher quality HID system. I went with the H7 Morimoto Elite 5500k w/HD relay. I completed the install yesterday (correctly I believe?) and it seemed to be fine post install when I ran a few tests in the garage. No flickering or strobing. The only "issue" I was facing is that my car now warns me to check my low beams. I am assuming switching from HD relay to CANBUS will fix that issue but wanted other's input before making the swap.

The other issue with flickering I noticed today when my headlights came on (they're currently set to auto). I noticed the left bulb started flickering then proceeded to strobe. This lasted about 30ish seconds before it seemed to be stable. I shortly turned my car off after this because I was needing to get to work.

Anyone have similar issues even with using an HD relay?

Here is my wiring setup:

HD relay ballast connector -> both ballasts
    HD relay ground -> factory ground
    HD relay positive -> Battery positive
    HD relay OEM -> OEM connector passenger side (farther from battery. Had to do it this way due to limitations with mounting everything.)

Try adding resistors between the HD relay OEM to OEM connector. Not sure what size of resistors the Tucson will accept but there should be some links to this somewhere..

I had to do this on my Ram to ensure a clean "loaded" signal from the OEM connector.

Comment

Try the canbus adapters. That's what I had to do in my 05 mini for the same reason

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

@Staple: Will the resistors help with the flicker/strobe or the low beam indicator?
        @r34king: Will the canbus fix the flicker/strobe or low beam indicator?

Comment

I believe both, reason I say that is it will load the signal from the vehicle (meaning you will have a strong signal) to allow the lights to function correctly and the vehicle will think their is a bulb connected so the low beam indicator will go out.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...i=desktop&th=1

Here is what I used for the plug and play option. Mine were H13s

Comment

Originally posted by Staple_STI View Post
            I believe both, reason I say that is it will load the signal from the vehicle (meaning you will have a strong signal) to allow the lights to function correctly and the vehicle will think their is a bulb connected so the low beam indicator will go out.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...i=desktop&th=1

Here is what I used for the plug and play option. Mine were H13s
            Are you currently using an HD relay with a single OEM hookup? My "concern" is the low beam indicator is alerting because only 1 OEM connector is connected up. One other thing I noticed is that the low beam flicker/strobe occurs when the foglights are on. Haven't fully tested this theory but something I briefly noticed when turning off my car today.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianosaurus View Post

Are you currently using an HD relay with a single OEM hookup? My "concern" is the low beam indicator is alerting because only 1 OEM connector is connected up. One other thing I noticed is that the low beam flicker/strobe occurs when the foglights are on. Haven't fully tested this theory but something I briefly noticed when turning off my car today.
              I am using a HD relay with only one single OEM hookup as well. On the other side you can install the resistors as well, as the kit comes with two full sets (4 resistors total) and leave the plug enpty after the resistors. This way the hookup side is sending signal to the HIDs and the "empty" side is loading resistors that are providing similar feedback to the car as if there was a bulb in it.

Comment

UPDATE:
                I called Theretrofitsource and worked with their customer service to get an order for CANBUS relays. I must say the support their is phenomenal. Super friendly and helpful. If you guys haven't worked with them yet I would 100% recommend them.

Comment

Which item did they sell you exactly? Can you please share the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Staple_STI View Post
                    Which item did they sell you exactly? Can you please share the link.
                    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ca...reselect=47697

Comment

Should work perfect. It is exactly what I mentioned. Resistors inline with the vehicle input and the capacitor provides the storage to have good power to the ballasts at all time. Decent price as well.

Comment

They work flawlessly. Loving the new HIDs.

Comment

Working...
                        X