Some of my work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    I'm a bit confused, I've never seen anything like that. Huge tanker trucks driving on ice? The GPS is telling you to go that way? Is that a road?
    yup, were hauling diesel into the Diamond mines in northern Canada on the ice, 85% of the 600km long road is on frozen laakes, almost up to full load weights, loading 43,000 Litres right now. first trip was 10,000 L hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin7898 View Post
      yup, were hauling diesel into the Diamond mines in northern Canada on the ice, 85% of the 600km long road is on frozen laakes, almost up to full load weights, loading 43,000 Litres right now. first trip was 10,000 L hahaha
      That reminds me; iirc there was a program in Discovery Channel about trucks on some snow/ice route.

It's really only the first 6 inches that's cracked. I believe we're up to about 3 feet of ice so far
      I hope/assume someone takes regular enough measurements to make sure the surface is safe enough?
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

That's so cool! haha

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

That reminds me; iirc there was a program in Discovery Channel about trucks on some snow/ice route.

I hope/assume someone takes regular enough measurements to make sure the surface is safe enough?

Yup, they use ground penetrating radar to profile the ice along with traditional hole and measuing tape methods

DSC02009 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr

DSC02200 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr

Comment

Yup, they use ground penetrating radar to profile the ice along with traditional hole and measuing tape methods
            I see. That makes me feel a little better now

Comment

some more, fresh lane opened up with the moon providing lots of light. IMG_20200309_224003_811 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr Normal cracking of the ice IMG_20200309_210904 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr DSC07014-1 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr DSC07020-1 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr Watering the road to patch Large cracks and pot holes LRM_EXPORT_778323200371840_20200309_014009784 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr LRM_EXPORT_868374124907853_20200310_024618513 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr LRM_EXPORT_868271796012215_20200310_024436184 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr DSC05259 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr about as big as the trees get up here, tree line is to the south. DSC05278 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr looking out over a lake DSC05270 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr Yes that 11.5 hour time to arrival is unfortunately accurate... 25km/h on the ice. DSC03867 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr Flooding the road to build it up thicker. spraying the water in the air cools it down and makes for a more even covering, also it freezes harder than coventional flooding DSC03807 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr Mr. Plow DSC03016 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr

Comment

Normal cracking of the ice
                Thanks for sharing the pictures.

The juxtaposition of a dark sky in one edge, sun in another, and the aurora borealis is quite something. Some people pay a lot of money to get the chance to witness such a thing.

Comment

I'm really loving these pics! It's so cool how they use water to fix the "road" like that. Just goes to show how different things can be in other parts of the world. I had no idea stuff like this existed. And as a road designer myself, this is right up my interest.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  The juxtaposition of a dark sky in one edge, sun in another, and the aurora borealis is quite something. Some people pay a lot of money to get the chance to witness such a thing.
                  That is actually the moon. IMO, the Aurora Borealis is very overratted. I went to see it in Iceland, and it's so faint and dim, very hard to see. All of the pictures you see of it are incredible over exposed. That's the only way it looks good lol. Still cool though, especially how it dances around

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    I'm really loving these pics! It's so cool how they use water to fix the "road" like that. Just goes to show how different things can be in other parts of the world. I had no idea stuff like this existed. And as a road designer myself, this is right up my interest.

That is actually the moon. IMO, the Aurora Borealis is very overratted. I went to see it in Iceland, and it's so faint and dim, very hard to see. All of the pictures you see of it are incredible over exposed. That's the only way it looks good lol. Still cool though, especially how it dances around
                    That's a big ol negative, all has to do with the sun. I've seen plenty where they literally light up the snow. No camera trickery required. All has to do with the sun and how active it is. Couple this winter with purples and everything in them. Sicks you got unlucky on your trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin7898 View Post

That's a big ol negative, all has to do with the sun. I've seen plenty where they literally light up the snow. No camera trickery required. All has to do with the sun and how active it is. Couple this winter with purples and everything in them. Sicks you got unlucky on your trip.
                      Cool nice to know! Yeah seems like all the pics I see of it are overexposed anyway, so my experience with it IRL matched that. Then again, I don't see many pics of it. It's still really cool though!

Comment

• Navigation by Northern Light
                        30 second single exposure at 14mm
                        LRM_EXPORT_1085255858528453_20200312_215311193 by Kevin Stuparyk, on Flickr

Comment

• Beautiful! Thank you for sharing
                          Last edited by gold94corolla; March 24th, 2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• oh man, some nice pictures
                            Write Something....../

Comment

• Well, the season is over. Time to pitter patter back to Edmonton and take the summer off work. And maybe get around to going through all of the photos i took over the last two months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin7898 View Post
                                Well, the season is over. Time to pitter patter back to Edmonton and take the summer off work. And maybe get around to going through all of the photos i took over the last two months.
                                And a retrofit project or two?

Comment

Working...
                                X