Morimoto XB35 & XB55 Ballasts - Design / Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morimoto XB35 & XB55 Ballasts - Design / Development

For those of you who don't follow us on Facebook where we posted some pictures over the weekend, thought I would share an update on this project here.

We're in the final phases of development and assuming all goes as planned, should be putting the ballasts into production within 4-5 weeks from now for availability sometime in Mid-late November.

If you recall, we did a ballast design contest earlier in the year and Nuvolari won, now his design will be used on the XB ballasts which should be in production for the next few years at least.

Like most OEM ballasts these days, the new XB ballasts will feature external igniters that can separated from the ballast computer, giving them a handful of benefits over fully integrated designs. The ballast itself is much smaller, though admittedly there is a bit more bulk to the wiring where the igniters are now placed. An industry first for an aftermarket ballast, the igniter is actually integrated into the D2S connector - just like a Matsushita ballast.

Looking at the pictures here, there's still a few more things that will change, including:

1) die castings will be adjusted for counter-sunk hex screws
    2) tech-flex mesh will be the orange/black version that's currently used
    3) Logos & their placement will be adjusted
    4) D2S Igniter has a stainless steel shell (like Matsushita) that's not shown here
    5) Length of outputs will be adjusted (any votes?) we plan to do away with the "Long Cord" version and make a one-size-fits-all for the D2S.
    6) D2S housing cap seals will be integrated on the D2S version

Cheers guys!

Concept Drawings from Nuvolari:
    Concept1.jpgConcept2.jpg

Initial Digital Renderings:
    Igniter1.png D2S1.png

Production Parts:
    Pro3.jpgPro1.jpgPro2.jpg

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
    * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Computer Light Control just sounds cheap and like something one would see on an eBay ad, but that's just my personal opinion. Other than that, it all sounds and looks good.

How are these looking as far as price point goes?

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Awesome for you guys! Will these come in black?
      Originally posted by nine44
      350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

This is so awesome. Thank u for the mention, Matt. I personally like the longer cords. So I vote long. As for the logo, I'd vote to have it off-center, in a corner. Maybe upper L or lower R

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
          Computer Light Control just sounds cheap and like something one would see on an eBay ad, but that's just my personal opinion. Other than that, it all sounds and looks good.

How are these looking as far as price point goes?
          I can agree, it's definitely one of those terms that just seems over complicated. However, I know at least the Denso ballasts actually have this one the casing as well. So I guess if it seems cheesy, at least it's cheesy in good company.

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
            +1

How about a mention that it is AC or some other relevant specs description instead?
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              +1

How about a mention that it is AC or some other relevant specs description instead?
              I thought if DENSOs had it that it wouldn't be bad. How about something like:
              AC Light Control Unit, or
              AC Light Control System or
              MotoControl AC Light Unit/System/Ballast

Something that mentions AC and that the light is controlled, something relevant like u said.

Comment

AC output control?

Comment

MissionControl!

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Koito ballasts also say "Computer Light Control" so I'd just leave it alone unless you plan on going with "Magic Light Box"

Comment

Origin of Witchcraft

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

we can switch up the text on the side really easily, I agree - putting some relevant specs would make more sense. Will do!

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
                        * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

Computer light control sounds way better to me. Most eBay ballast have something about AC on them so I vote no on using those terms. Plus Denso uses Computer light Control too so....

Anyway looking good. Wish they were adjustable though
                          Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Another vote for computer light control
                            Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Comment

Computer Light Control +1

The only concern - or maybe that detail was missed by us- is on the external igniters on the AMP version. What's the weight on that little box? What if someone doesn't mount it, plugs in their AMP bulb to it and it dangles/bounces around- could that cause premature wear on the AMP bulb wires leading into the bulb itself ?

Overall a great design though - congrats guys. Looking forward to stocking these

Pro1a.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X