Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Morimoto's 3000K color suppose to look like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Morimoto's 3000K color suppose to look like??

I got Morimoto 3000K H11 hid kit - bulbs, ballasts, harness.
    One of 3000K bulbs was yellow and other turned out to be green.

I contacted TRS, they've send me a new 3000K replacement bulb.
    Installed it right away and to my surprise it was also green.
    So now I have 1 yellow bulb and 2 green bulbs. WTF??

Tried changing bulbs around to make sure it is not the housing or the ballast - nope, both green stayed green and yellow stayed yellow.
    Even switched ballasts around just for the hell of it - same thing.

Here's some pics with now second green bulb (one that was send to me as a replacement)

And here's perfectly matched green bulbs lol. Not what I had in mind when getting 3000K.
    To be fair I gatta say these pictures make them look greener then they appear in person especially at certain angles but still they are green in person and not yellow. To my eyes at least.

Someone please tell me what the hell Mori 3000K is really supposed to look like!
    From what I've seen on his forum they are as "full/intense" yellow as yellow gets but in my case I def do not see the "beauty of yellow" I see green.
    I spoke to TRS earlier today and they told me to send 3 bulbs back to them so they do evaluate the color and see what's up.
    Can someone confirm I'm not colorblind here??

Nope, you're not colorblind. If TRS wants them back, I'd send them there way. Otherwise I'd run them for a couple weeks, let the bulbs break in, and see what happens.

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

i got a set of mori 3five 3000K H3Cs and they were a nice clean golden yellow when i first got em they were more of a green tint they got more golden yellow after a while of use
      my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
      04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
      2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
      07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

I'd say try switching sides. It may be the ballast.

2007 e90 335i
        //OEM

Comment

A few of us were just discussing this issue. Pics on page 2 and 3

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...foglight/page2

1990 Honda Accord CB7-JDM CB3 Housings-Morimoto-Mini D2S 2.0-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-Phillips 85122+
          BMW E30 325i-DEPO Euro Smiley H1 Projector Housings-Morimoto 3Five Ballasts-H1 Morimoto 3Five 4.3k
          BMW E36 318i-OEM ZKW Projector Housings-Morimoto Mini H1 6.1-Aharon 35w 4.3k HID kit

Comment

Luckily mine are perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by luvlexus101 View Post
              I'd say try switching sides. It may be the ballast.
              reading the first post they alredy swapped bulbs and ballasts and got new bulbs
              my vehicles

2013 subaru impreza WRX STi new body style (some mods)
              04 subaru impreza WRX STi (project car)
              2013 ford F550 platnum dually (extreem mods CAT engine swap)

my wifes car

2012 subaru impreza limited sport (some mods)
              07 hyundai accent GLS (extreem mods)

Comment

i have a set of 3000k h1 from trs a few months back, green as heck in color, they told me it was normal, if they offered me a new set, i would have jumped at it. mine look like sh*t and they said it was normal.

fyi, its probably a known problem, but they are treating it as if it is abnormal for you to get green bulbs.
                Last edited by rayofsi; September 11th, 2012, 12:43 AM.
                No Signature

Comment

Mine are a lime green when they are turned on but withing less than a minute turn to golden yellow. Mine are behind yellow lenses though.
                  2014 Ford Focus SE HB
                  2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 on 33/12.50r15 km2s (SOLD)

Comment

This is pretty interesting.. So far the last set of 3k h11 i bought from TRS.. both of them were yellow which is good but its not 100% matched...one bulb seems to be darker yellow while the other seems to be lighter yellow.. not sure if i might have not installed the bulbs incorrectly..

Comment

I keep saying the 3000k bulbs are a crapshoot... I never got mine to match, at least yours do now. They are all "yellow", but seems the definition of yellow is as vague as the definition of "white". Greener or more golden, it's all yellow. Although your pictures don't look yellow or green to me, they look more like halogen (which I would recommend instead, less glare and better color).

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        I keep saying the 3000k bulbs are a crapshoot... I never got mine to match, at least yours do now. They are all "yellow", but seems the definition of yellow is as vague as the definition of "white". Greener or more golden, it's all yellow. Although your pictures don't look yellow or green to me, they look more like halogen (which I would recommend instead, less glare and better color).
                        Yes, when it comes to "$50 Ebay special" kit you are right - some are more yellow some are more green. Same as with white - some are more blue some are more yellow-ish.
                        That's why people on this forum go with either OEM bulbs (when exactly did you see brand new Philips or Osram to be "off" color?) or with $150 kit that has
                        "The best ballasts. The best bulbs. The best harness"
                        And about bulbs specifically:
                        The ‘Moto 3Five bulbs feature: Ceramic bases for precise alignment giving you a clean beam pattern. Quartz glass tubes to minimize UV output and maximizing luminosity. Their Praxair (US) metal halide salts produce very accurate color temperatures (3K/43K/5K/6K)
                        I can even understand (not that I'd be happy but I'd understand) the same green-ish color within all 3000K bulbs made by one manufacturer but as this thread shows (not just my post) a lot of people received different colored/shades/hues of 3000K Morimoto bulbs. From "halogen" to "lime green" and everything in between. There goes "very accurate color temperatures".

Not trying to be a dick at all but in reality if instead of 1 $150 Mori kit I went with 3 $50 Ebay kits and got either DDM or Xentc I'm sure at least 4 of them would actually match and be yellow as well as outlast 2 of Mori's.

Comment

Originally posted by Vital View Post
                          Yes, when it comes to "$50 Ebay special" kit you are right - some are more yellow some are more green. Same as with white - some are more blue some are more yellow-ish.
                          That's why people on this forum go with either OEM bulbs (when exactly did you see brand new Philips or Osram to be "off" color?) or with $150 kit that has

And about bulbs specifically:

I can even understand (not that I'd be happy but I'd understand) the same green-ish color within all 3000K bulbs made by one manufacturer but as this thread shows (not just my post) a lot of people received different colored/shades/hues of 3000K Morimoto bulbs. From "halogen" to "lime green" and everything in between. There goes "very accurate color temperatures".

Not trying to be a dick at all but in reality if instead of 1 $150 Mori kit I went with 3 $50 Ebay kits and got either DDM or Xentc I'm sure at least 4 of them would actually match and be yellow as well as outlast 2 of Mori's.
                          Well it would be nice of TRS offered as an optional or extra service that if you wanted to be absolutely sure your bulbs colors would match, they could test them in-house before shipping.
                          RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

IMO, it should be part of selling the bulbs, that they match.

But with HID bulbs, it's impossible to tell. If you've ever fired up on (especially 3000k) or seen a pic of a naked 3000k on the ground, you'll see it has all sorts of color streaks, even some blue in there. So, I always recommend a pure white bulb with a yellow lens.

Comment

Or a nice selective yellow halogen bulb.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Working...
                              X