TL-R Projector Conversions - First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL-R Projector Conversions - First Impressions

We wanted to post up and share some of our experiences with the new TL-R conversion setups from TRS. These are a brilliant idea for anyone looking to retrofit the Acura TL projectors - but really can't stand the thought of trying to work with the huge stock solenoids they come with (both in fitment & aesthetic cover up).

We are lucky enough as well to have a customer be patient with his build and wait for the converted setup (thanks Aaron). He has a 2008 F450 Superduty we're fitting these projectors into next week.

Initial impressions are good - just with a solid amount of work (at least more than we expected) and most likely much more than the "average first time retrofitter" might expect. Bending the TL-R plates to replicate the factory bent TL center plates isn't ideal as it would bind up the MH1 shield. We ended up spacing the body of the projectors and lenses (probably a solid 4-5mm) and then tweaked shields until things were acceptable.

The output is strong for sure. We have a couple comparison shots with TWO Mini D2S projectors on vs just the one TL-R that was on. The TL-R performance great.

There's a bit of flare above the cutoff - we didn't have the dedicated time for tuning that out (on this set). The color seems good as well.

These are just some of the first results we've had with the new TL-R conversion setup. We hope to have more time on the next set for further adjustments & cutoff tweaking.

Osram SVS Bulbs at 35watts. Please contact us with any questions or feedback.

Thanks for getting these pics up!

the flares are definitely ugly but output does look good

Comment

Nice
      How come there's that notch artifact similar to an EvoX-R? (to the right of the vertical drain pipe on the wall)
      The TL-R thread seems to suggest the shield moves down the way Mini D2S & Mini H1 does, instead of the way EvoX-R does.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by twista View Post
        Thanks for getting these pics up!

the flares are definitely ugly but output does look good
        The flares aren't as bad in person - and this output was at around 35-45 feet - the pics make them a bit more exaggerated then they are. They might be a tad over-exposed as well.
        Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Nice
        How come there's that notch artifact similar to an EvoX-R? (to the right of the vertical drain pipe on the wall)
        The TL-R thread seems to suggest the shield moves down the way Mini D2S & Mini H1 does, instead of the way EvoX-R does.
        That's due to the TL bodies putting out such a wide pattern - smaller MH1 shields can't cover it all - so you end up with slight "non-uniform" bumps or dips at the very edges - this will be minimal on the road as it is definitely dimmer farther & farther from the center step/main focus.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! It looks like the foreground limiters have been eliminated as well... a plus for some people I'm sure.

Comment

Well thanks for these! Saving me a ton of money in new light and parts. I'll stick to my normal tls and clear lenses
            Originally posted by nine44
            350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

I do kind of wish they were able to keep the TL cutoff shield intact but oh well. Does the performance seem like it's degraded much at all using the Mini shield besides the few niggles you've noticed?

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Very nice, I like the output but the flare is ugly I have to agree.

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
                Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
                Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
                Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
                Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                  Thanks for sharing! It looks like the foreground limiters have been eliminated as well... a plus for some people I'm sure.
                  The TRS page for these shows a foreground limiter http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=56529

I hope there's still one. With a little less spacing and some tweaking of the shield, I think I'll love these. I'll post up my pictures when I get them, ans one comparing them to an FX-R and MH1 6.0 that I have, as well as a stock TL
                  ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

Well those output shots definitely don't have that classic TL fg limiter

Comment

We didn't modify the TL-R plates from TRS at all - They still had the foreground limiter in these pics Lot's of light from these!

Comment

OMG that hotspot is so wide. What a great projector.

I'm surprised they didn't use the MH1 shield. Isn't that one curved from the get go?

Also are those the same bulbs/watts? The MD2S is absolutely TERRIBLE lmao. 3.0s can't come soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post

I'm surprised they didn't use the MH1 shield. Isn't that one curved from the get go?

Also are those the same bulbs/watts? The MD2S is absolutely TERRIBLE lmao. 3.0s can't come soon enough.
                          I thought the TL-R was using the MH1 6.0 shield.

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post

Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
                            I thought the TL-R was using the MH1 6.0 shield.
                            The Mini D2S projectors have their place. But yes these ARE using the MH1 shields

Comment

Looks like they were tuned to have too much color that's why they've got flares. Pretty cool though.

Comment

Working...
                              X