New XB 9012 bulbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XB 9012 bulbs

I was so happy when I found 9012 bulbs as a default size on TRS! Gone were the days of shaving off tabs on the 9006 to fit newer projector housings. Unfortunately, though, it looks like a fair amount of Chrysler built vehicles place the return wire on the top of the bulb, distorting and creating an ugly amount of shadow, boo. But I'm getting ahead of myself, first some positive:

Ballasts were cycling off-on randomly on the highway, VERY quickly, like barely a flicker off and then back on. I had enough and finally had my ballasts warrantied, Jamielle was helpful as always and helped me RMA those right quick and I had installed them. Quick enough service for how slammed they constantly are. I am currently working to get my relay harness replaced... there is a wire loose on the passenger side that I think might have broken internally, since I can wiggle it and it goes on and out again relay harnesses are a pain in the ass to replace so I was hoping not to but alas, I hope they work with me on this one as well as I expect them to.

Anyhow, as far as products go, there needs to be a 9012 variant for vehicles with return wire on the top, which does seem to be a fair number of products. Since it is just a base rotation I can't imagine it would be too difficult to pop a few of those off the factory line. I wonder if the car manufacturers did this to discourage P&P kits, since if it is halogen it shouldn't matter which way is up but many of them do have the HID return wire on the top. Just leaving some feedback that there is a market for this and I would be first in line to buy a bulb I don't need to use a basin wrench on to fit securely in the socket (don't ask)!

Originally posted by robotzor View Post
    I was so happy when I found 9012 bulbs as a default size on TRS! Gone were the days of shaving off tabs on the 9006 to fit newer projector housings. Unfortunately, though, it looks like a fair amount of Chrysler built vehicles place the return wire on the top of the bulb, distorting and creating an ugly amount of shadow, boo. But I'm getting ahead of myself, first some positive: Ballasts were cycling off-on randomly on the highway, VERY quickly, like barely a flicker off and then back on. I had enough and finally had my ballasts warrantied, Jamielle was helpful as always and helped me RMA those right quick and I had installed them. Quick enough service for how slammed they constantly are. I am currently working to get my relay harness replaced... there is a wire loose on the passenger side that I think might have broken internally, since I can wiggle it and it goes on and out again relay harnesses are a pain in the ass to replace so I was hoping not to but alas, I hope they work with me on this one as well as I expect them to. Anyhow, as far as products go, there needs to be a 9012 variant for vehicles with return wire on the top, which does seem to be a fair number of products. Since it is just a base rotation I can't imagine it would be too difficult to pop a few of those off the factory line. I wonder if the car manufacturers did this to discourage P&P kits, since if it is halogen it shouldn't matter which way is up but many of them do have the HID return wire on the top. Just leaving some feedback that there is a market for this and I would be first in line to buy a bulb I don't need to use a basin wrench on to fit securely in the socket (don't ask)!
    Hm, I'm not sure what problem you're having with them. I had issues putting 9006 HID into my 2013+ ram sport projectors that called for a 9012. So much so I took them out and waited for the 9012 XB's to come in. They fixed the problem right up, no more shadows, perfect cutoff. I was so impressed with them I now tell people to bin their DDM 9006's and put in the 9012XB's for their RAM projectors.

Comment

The 200 and the 300 and some Hondas have upside-down projectors (the bulb holder leaves the wire at 12AM when locked into place) since halogen isn't designed to care which way is up. They told me the issue isn't widespread enough for them to cost effectively make "a few pairs" of 9012b type bulbs, but considering the hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of these vehicles that have been made (these are very popular cars) I can imagine this type of bulb being very useful... I mean, they make a MOPAR spec harness, might as well come out with a base rotation to match.

I mean,http://i.imgur.com/ZS719kt.jpg holy ground shadow, Batman!

Guess I should put my 9006 modified image up for comparison http://i.imgur.com/viO37hg.png. Note how the pattern on the 9012 isn't nearly as "obviously conical" as the 9006...but that shadow...
      Last edited by robotzor; February 28th, 2016, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X