Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the ultimate led fog light projector showdown!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ultimate led fog light projector showdown!!

welcome one and all to the show! where 3 fog lights enter, and only 1 ever leaves the parts bench!

the rules are simple! there are no rules! bwahaha!! winner gets to shove it in the faces of the losers, losers get shoved into a dark corner of the shop to be forgotten!

the fighters:

in corner 1, weighing in at a low low $160, we have the morimoto led fog!
    with quality companies backing it, a lightweight aluminum/plastic carrier assembly with plastic lens, and 3 phillips lumiled's pumping out 1200 raw lumens, it's apparent this one is just here as a formality!
    IMG_9620 by soundman98, on Flickr
    IMG_9618 by soundman98, on Flickr

in corner 2, weighing in at a heavy $350, we have the nolden/rostra led fog!
    with limited info and very few companies backing it, the only thing holding this one up in the ring is it's solid cast aluminum case, glass lens, and 5-chip osram o-star led pumping out 1800 raw lumens max, it's bound to give a good fight all the way to the finish!
    IMG_9619 by soundman98, on Flickr
    IMG_9621 by soundman98, on Flickr

and in corner 3, weighing in at a questionable $60, we have the bmw x5 oem led fog lights!
    with it's plastic housing and plastic lens, it is not only the bulkiest, but also the lightest! and with dual osram oslon black chips making a combined estimated total of 800 raw lumens max, it stands to do the most with the least!!
    IMG_9616 by soundman98, on Flickr
    IMG_9622 by soundman98, on Flickr

now that we've introduced today's competitors, lets get familiarized with the setup!

the setup:
    IMG_9576 by soundman98, on Flickr

the tripod is up against the wall with a full view of the entire garage door, all projectors were put on a sandbag on the wagon roughly center of door, the wagon was about 6' away from the door.
    camera was activated with a remote shutter button to keep it from moving, with full manual settings for all beam shots
    links were left with all the pics for camera shutter data for repeat-ability.

round 1:

the morimoto lays down an extremely wide beam pattern with a well defined hotspot in the middle for great distance! it's going to be hard to pass that up!
    IMG_9595 by soundman98, on Flickr

but the nolden won't back down without a fight and lays down a tightly controlled beam pattern, it starts to loose ground with overall width, but quickly makes up ground again with that wonderful wonderful color flicker!
    IMG_9593 by soundman98, on Flickr

and not to be left out, the x5 takes a swing for the fences, but i'm not even sure it's supposed to be fighting in this league! all the right parts are there, but it just doesn't have the power to really get in there like the other one's!
    IMG_9591 by soundman98, on Flickr

with all three in the ring, they really don't pull any punches! except of course the x5, which i just feel sorry for!!
    in order:
    x5 top
    morimoto middle
    nolden bottom
    IMG_9596 by soundman98, on Flickr

and fast shutter speed to show intensity
    IMG_9598 by soundman98, on Flickr

and there's the bell!! it looks like round 1 one is done! the x5 is down for the count, but the mori and nolden are still swingin'!!

round 2:

that x5 just won't give up! ya gotta admire determination like that!

in this round, we'll look at the amount of glare each unit produces!
    the camera's been lowered and moved for a better vantage point, same rules apply!

the morimoto is the first to jump at the chance to show what it's got! and it glares worse then a pnp kit on a bro-truck at midnight!
    rightside-up:
    IMG_9606 by soundman98, on Flickr

upside-down is even worse!!
    IMG_9607 by soundman98, on Flickr

the nolden is next to show off what it's got, and it still as refined and tightly controlled as it was in the first round!
    rightside-up:
    IMG_9602 by soundman98, on Flickr

upside-down:
    IMG_9608 by soundman98, on Flickr

the x5 tries and does great in this round, but it just doesn't seem like enough!!
    rightside-up:
    IMG_9610 by soundman98, on Flickr

upside-down:
    IMG_9609 by soundman98, on Flickr

the verdict:
    well folks, that was a fast couple rounds!!
    it looks like the morimoto came in too cocky and lost big! and the nolden mopped the floor with him! sure the nolden doesn't have the width of the mori, but between that glorious color flicker and the center beam intensity, the morimoto needs to hold up a few more candles to make a difference! the x5 is still kicking, but is just too big on size and light on lighting to really get anything useful done!

so the winner is........
    THE NOLDEN!!!!!!!

FLICKER BEATS WIDTH EVERY TIME!!!
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Haha awesome write up. The x5 is definitely out of its league against the other two. That Nolden definitely is pretty, but the Morimotos rival it at half the cost (even less for us lucky group buy purchasers). There is one problem with the Morimotos though. Each type has their own unique output due to the housing shape. My Type Ns are completely different then your type (which are what type?). If you would like I could post an output pic of my Type Ns to compare.

I gotta say though, for the money, Morimotos are the winner. If money is no option, Noldens.
    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Ehhh
      Originally posted by nine44
      350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
        Haha awesome write up. The x5 is definitely out of its league against the other two. That Nolden definitely is pretty, but the Morimotos rival it at half the cost (even less for us lucky group buy purchasers). There is one problem with the Morimotos though. Each type has their own unique output due to the housing shape. My Type Ns are completely different then your type (which are what type?). If you would like I could post an output pic of my Type Ns to compare.

I gotta say though, for the money, Morimotos are the winner. If money is no option, Noldens.
        my morimoto's are the 'type s'.. feel free to post pics. i thought all of them used the same optics, so i thought the single comparison would be slightly fair.

really though, the mori's loose way out for me because of the glare. they really are as bad as some pnp kits, and after all the bashing and anti-pnp we've gone through here, i just can't accept that kind of setup on my car. also i really like the color flicker

i'm hoping to install them this weekend!!
        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          my morimoto's are the 'type s'.. feel free to post pics. i thought all of them used the same optics, so i thought the single comparison would be slightly fair.

really though, the mori's loose way out for me because of the glare. they really are as bad as some pnp kits, and after all the bashing and anti-pnp we've gone through here, i just can't accept that kind of setup on my car. also i really like the color flicker

i'm hoping to install them this weekend!!
          i came to the exact same conclusion with my XBled fogs. they glare alot.

however if anyones interested
          you go to my thread i posted how you can fix the glare:
          http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...d-and-improved
          Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

They do glare a lot, but definitely no PnP glare, not by a longshot. It's more of an enhanced squirrel finder effect.

I could give a rats ass on color flicker for the fogs. IMO, fogs have more a utilitarian purpose due to the light distribution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Mine do not glare that much, but you will see what I am talking about with pics. Should get a couple up tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                Mine do not glare that much, but you will see what I am talking about with pics. Should get a couple up tonight.
                dont glare much ehhhh???

i beg to differ

Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Here is what the Type N looks like. As I said, they do not glare as much like the others, but they have this funky glare line.

This is about 20ft out. i am off my flat driveway here and in the alley. The pavement is angled up so it is throwing the light further up than on a flat surface. That glare line is pretty much level with my headlight cutoff.

Matt claims it is due to the fact the optics are so far recessed in the housing. You can see they are recessed about 2 1/2 inches on the left and nearly flush on the right.

I have a video showing what it is like passing that glare line. Will update this post with it.
                  Last edited by HK45; April 7th, 2015, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Nice writeup, thanks for the laugh

WRT glare, I think both the X5 and the 'moto glare like mofos. MK fixed his and got a tighter and wider beam and a lot less glare as a result - why didn't TRS do this?

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Very nice, and don't forget, humorous review. Love it.

There are so many factors will sway people on their selection - whether it's the flicker, the width, or the price.
                      2010 Civic Si

Comment

I dig the review. Good work Ryan.

The fogs' minute glare is not enough to cause any issues.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by michael.kozera View Post
                          dont glare much ehhhh???

i beg to differ

How close is that to a wall? Two feet?

I don't drive behind walls very often. Lol

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

THIS is glare, and it isn't a Morimoto fog light, either:

Comment

Great review. Those Rostra fogs look like something I got to have. Where did you get your set from soundman? They are quite hard to find as you say...
                              Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

Working...
                              X