XenonDepot Xtreme LED Pro H11 review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XenonDepot Xtreme LED Pro H11 review

We’re finally in the age of PNP LED bulbs that can decently emulate the output of a halogen bulb… at least In some cases. Most LED bulbs are still trash, but a few have been shown to do well in some housings.

Unfortunately, projector housings are still the missing link. Even quality bulbs have no hotspot in projectors, making them entirely useless. However, it seems that XenonDepot has cracked the code and made an LED bulb that seems to have bested even Philips’ most recent efforts.

Dropping a diode from each side of the old design, these new Pro bulbs have three diodes per side, closely mimicking the length of a halogen filament. XenonDepot claims 1700 lumens stable. This is real lumen count and accounting for heat soak, unlike the fake theoretical numbers of most bulbs.

Build quality:

It’s no secret that most LED bulbs these days are built to a high quality standard. But these are a step above in a few ways. The entire bulb is made out of aluminum, including the aluminum heatsink.

But there are different grades of aluminum, and the heatsink fins prove that. I bent them, folded them completely over, and abused them again and again but the metal showed no fatigue. I played with a different model from a different company with similar aluminum fins and they snapped on the second sharp bend. Though you won’t be bending these often, it’s good to know that they can be moved between cars with no problems.

All of the connectors are OEM-grade quality and are a secure fit. The main connection between the bulb and driver has a screw cap so it can’t come loose. And the wires for the connection to your car have a very nice braiding on them.

Installation:

Installation is as simple as can be. Insert the bulb, twist into place, and you’re done. There have been reports of the seal being a little too thick, but for the Koito H11 projectors this wasn’t an issue. You can adjust the clocking with an allen key (and the convenient degree markings), but a 12 o’clock position is usually best.

The connectors XenonDepot uses are very high quality and snap into the OEM connections with no problem. All the tabs are in the right place.

You’ll need to mount the driver somewhere. It’s very small and will fit anywhere, but it also gets really hot so you’ll want to mount it somewhere safe. A mount to metal is a good idea.

This H11 bulb is also a direct fit into an H9 slot so you can use them in your high beams.

Output:

I tested these bulbs in a Koito halogen H11 low beam projector in a 2017 Lexus CT200h, the same one that’s available in most Camry, Prius, 86, and general Toyota models as well as the H9 halogen high beam. All photos are exposure locked.

Halogen:

Xtreme LED Pro:

Despite the projector’s weak hotspot, the LED managed to retain and even brighten the hotspot without increasing glare. Other than the wider hotspot, the overall beam pattern stayed identical.

Now for high beams.

Halogen:

Xtreme LED Pro:

Side by side:

I gathered some intensity data against a garage wall at 30 feet. Here are the photos and data:

Halogen:

LED:

Side by side:

The halogen bulb measured at 123 lux at its brightest point. The LED measured at 161 lux and dropped to 150 lux after 15 minutes stationary.

Now high beam.

Halogen:

LED:

Side by side:

The halogen H9 bulb measured at 320 lux while the LED measured at 370, dropping to 360 after 15 minutes.

The LED bulbs are a definite improvement over halogen, even against the higher lumen H9 halogen bulb. The beam pattern stays almost identical but the brightest spots become brighter. Very impressive!

The light is a great 5500K color with no blue tint whatsoever. The CRI isn’t great and exhibits a similar “lower contrast” look as OEM Koito Bi-LEDs, though definitely no worse.

Heat dissipation:

The previous generation Xtreme LED bulbs used copper braided heat sinks which were not very effective. While the bulb body got hot, the heat sinks were simply warm. These new aluminum heat sinks have a direct aluminum to aluminum bond, meaning heat dissipation is far more efficient.

After a few minutes of running, the body of the bulb is very hot and the heat sinks are almost untouchable. After 10 minutes the heat sinks will straight up burn you.

Conclusion:

This is the first LED bulb that I’ve found to create an actual hotspot in a projector housing. Will it do so in every projector? Probably not, but with how well they’re made, it’s likely that they will perform well in most housings. Plus, with how common this Koito H11 projector is, they’re guaranteed to work for a large amount of people.

With 99.9% of LEDs being trash in projector housings, these are a great bet.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Nice write up! I might just have to suggest these to my dad to get for their ‘13 RX with halogen projectors. It’s the same projectors that are in your CT.

Edit: also, can you provide the link to this kit?
    Last edited by Zac.; January 2nd, 2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks! These are the only LEDs I've tried (so far) that produced a hotspot, so yeah it's a good upgrade.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme...ed-h11-pro.htm

Is this the kit you are reviewing? Showed my dad this thread and now he’s interested.

Comment

Yes sir!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I just re-read your review and realised you were comparing to H9, wow. Now I'm tempted, but $130 USD + shipping, will get expensive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
              I just re-read your review and realised you were comparing to H9, wow. Now I'm tempted, but $130 USD + shipping, will get expensive for me.
              Yup, the high beams were H9 halogens.

To be fair, $125 base price, free shipping, and 15% off right now. Sometimes 20%. XenonDepot is an odd site in the sense that there's ALWAYS at least 10% off on the site.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

$40 USD to ship to Australia

Comment

Ouuuuuchh. Nevermind!

Funny thing is, I spent $25 today shipping an old version of these bulbs to Canada. International shipping is expensiveeeeeee

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Man you should post this in the general LED forum. This looks good. I imagine this means a D2S LED bulb would work and hopefully isn't far behind. I kept blowing ballasts on my motorcycle and I would love the instant on to flash in my car.

Comment

You think? I generally post reviews in the review section.

I don't know about the development of a D2S version but I don't see a point. HID is still better. Ballasts shouldn't really be blowing with any frequency, what's going on there?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

I think it's the combo of being exposed to the elements and the higher vibrations. I gave up and got an H7 LED + went back to reflectors.

But if an LED bulb can have the same optical performance w/o the lumen degradation, expensive ballasts and warm up time of HIDs I don't see how that's inferior. They got LED to work in a projector so hopefully D2S is not far behind.

Comment

The brightness just isn't there. An HID bulb produces around 3200 lumens. The best LEDs advertise around 1700-1750.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                          X