TL-R vs. FXR Projector Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL-R vs. FXR Projector Comparison

Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Has anyone tried to put the new D2s 4.0 curved shield on the TL-R? Wouldn't that increase width?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwboyee View Post
      Has anyone tried to put the new D2s 4.0 curved shield on the TL-R? Wouldn't that increase width?
      From what I can see, the TL-R's shield doesn't have a portion at the edges that block light (other than the horizontal cutoff itself). So, putting another shield won't change the width coverage. Curved shield allows the colorband to stay as wide as possible, and adjust the sharpness of the cutoff.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
        From what I can see, the TL-R's shield doesn't have a portion at the edges that block light (other than the horizontal cutoff itself). So, putting another shield won't change the width coverage. Curved shield allows the colorband to stay as wide as possible, and adjust the sharpness of the cutoff.
        What do you mean by portion at edges ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mostafa United View Post
          What do you mean by portion at edges ?
          By that I mean that if we have a projector, and it comes with a non-curved sheet as a shield (like Mini D2S 3.0, not like Mini H1 7.0 or many of its prior H1 versions) that goes all the way to the edges. Having a portion at the edges that block light would be like a very wide U-shaped shield instead.

Anyway, to make what I mean easier to describe without diagrams, imagine a low beam shield without an elbow (aka "step"), like ones found in foglight projectors. If that shield is made from a non-curved sheet, and covers all the way to the sides of the bowl, then replacing it with a curved sheet that extends also all the way to the sides of the bowl won't change the width of the beam. All it does is change how close/far the cutoff edge is to the projector's focal point. With a curved sheet, you can maintain this relative focus so that the same level of sharpness can be obtained beyond the center. The same thing with colorband. Different projector optics require different curvatures.

Comment

Yes, as guys mentioned, curved shield doesnt mean that you will get more wide pattern.

I am now waiting for FXR 4.0, becase basic FXR projector is huge and realy hard to install as bixenon replacement.

Comment

Ok first of all sorry for thread hijacking.
              Now that there is discussion about curved shield increase width or not? Here is my side input for it. Few days back I tried a custom curved shield on Sti-r'd rx350. Made a j slope curved low beam shield

Here is output at 25-30ft

Now those who has seen rx350 output with sti-r lens can easily tell the cutoff isn't this sharp as progress towards side. But with curved shield the cutoff was sharp on side and had good colors on side too.
              But..... the width was same as was with oem straight shield.
              Also check the video to see the cutoff sharpness and color throughout

My feedback thread
              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...for-mayurhuria

Comment

Originally posted by mayurhuria View Post
                Now those who has seen rx350 output with sti-r lens can easily tell the cutoff isn't this sharp as progress towards side. But with curved shield the cutoff was sharp on side and had good colors on side too. But..... the width was same as was with oem straight shield.
                Indeed. The right (shield) sheet curvature allows the cutoff sharpness (or lack thereof) and colorband (or lack thereof) to be maintained as constant as possible. This means that with a flat sheet, only a small region is at a particular sharpness and colorband thickness; everything else is either too close or too far.

Comment

I think I'm going to try my hand at the TL-R for when I redo my retro fit. I'm the newbie that did a less than perfect job with his RX330 projectors. The RX series are massive for my small 8th gen civic headlights. Seeing these two projectors side-by-side like in the video, really helped sway my decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X