Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prius LED headlights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prius LED headlights

    So I have no clue if any of this information is going to be useful to anyone, but I had some free time so I figured why not?

    As most of us know LED headlights need multiple LED's to make the entire beam pattern.

    On the prius LED headlight there are three LED's. Two of which are behind a plastic lens, and the 3rd is on a reflector.



    I've labeled the three different units A being the reflector, and B and C being the projected units.

    LED A is responsible for the light on the side of the beam pattern. The side it lights depends on the side of the car it is on.

    Just LED A:



    LED B is for the most of the light spread throughout the beam pattern:



    LED C is used for the hot spot:



    All together:



    LED B, and C are covered by a reflective cover. Here I have removed them to reveal the LED's:



    Here are the covers:

    LED B cover is on the right, and LED C cover is on the left.



    Don't know if any of that is useful, but I hope you enjoyed looking at it..if that's possible.

  • #2
    Interesting post nubz, As we don't see too many detailed tear-downs of LED headlights. Thanks for sharing.
    RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

    Comment


    • #3
      Haha, Thanks
      I just have nothing to do right now. I'm literally just sitting here watching Top Gear.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nubnubz3215 View Post
        Haha, Thanks
        I just have nothing to do right now. I'm literally just sitting here watching Top Gear.
        How exactly did you get a hold of these Prius lights and what was the purpose?
        RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

        Comment


        • #5
          I just bought these from TRS, I was originally going to put these into my aunts prius, but then realized that the halogen and LED headlights have a different shroud (the one attached to the lens). And so I just have them sitting here right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nubnubz3215 View Post
            I just bought these from TRS, I was originally going to put these into my aunts prius, but then realized that the halogen and LED headlights have a different shroud (the one attached to the lens). And so I just have them sitting here right now.
            Cool. How much was TRS selling those for? (as that seems like a nice but pricey gift idea for your aunt).
            RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
              Cool. How much was TRS selling those for? (as that seems like a nice but pricey gift idea for your aunt).
              Ehh it was pretty expensive, but I figured it would be a good experience for me and set her car apart from the others. And they look too damn cool!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for posting those pictures.

                I thought these were from TRS' bargain basement (although LED low beam unit prices are still far higher than HID low beam prices), and that it was sold without the LED controller. How did you get them lit?
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

                3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  Thanks for posting those pictures.

                  I thought these were from TRS' bargain basement (although LED low beam unit prices are still far higher than HID low beam prices), and that it was sold without the LED controller. How did you get them lit?
                  I got these from the bargain basement, they came with everything. The LED unit, the highbeam reflector, the LED shroud, the complete wiring harness, and the ballasts. They were also a Left, Right pair.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good post, thanks for sharing! Yeah this has been posted before, but it NEVER hurts to have more output shots!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                      Good post, thanks for sharing! Yeah this has been posted before, but it NEVER hurts to have more output shots!
                      Hmm I tried looking to make sure this wasn't a repeat. Well now i know it takes more than 10 seconds of searching to fine something

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nubnubz3215 View Post
                        I got these from the bargain basement, they came with everything. The LED unit, the highbeam reflector, the LED shroud, the complete wiring harness, and the ballasts. They were also a Left, Right pair.
                        could you do me a favor and measure the output voltage and also the current of the driver/ballast while it's operating? i suspect that it should be somewhere areound 42 volts, at about 1A.. i really need to get my set of prius lights running..
                        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I got about 40 volts but I dont really know how to open the circuit to test the current.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nubnubz3215 View Post
                            Hmm I tried looking to make sure this wasn't a repeat. Well now i know it takes more than 10 seconds of searching to fine something
                            Yeah that's the problem, since searching is impossible, it's great to have as many pictures as possible!

                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...l=1#post395196
                            http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...eadlight/page4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              about 40? i thought they used led's that had a 14v forward voltage..

                              you can use this guide to setup your meter for measuring current.
                              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-measurements
                              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X