Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO PROPERLY WATTERPROOF YOUR BALLAST..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO PROPERLY WATTERPROOF YOUR BALLAST..

heya.....

heres the deal....

To waterproof your ballast... no baggies or silicone both bad...
    here is why not to use a baggie or something simular
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=123655#123655

You need some of this, you can get a polyurethane thermally conducting potting encapsulating compound but I like this one and it’s pricey
    NASA uses this stuff all the time....
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/832tc.html
    It is Thermally Conductive Epoxy
    Encapsulating & Potting Compound
    You should get a small bottle..... As it’s expensive

Mgchimicals site providing pic since its there product..
    Its specs

100% solids. Formulated with undiluted Bis F resin for superior physical properties, and pigmented with high purity aluminum oxide pigment to provide excellent thermal conductivity at reasonable cost. Pigmented black for excellent thermal absorption and emission.

* Provides superior protection from impact, shock, conductivity, moisture, abuse, chemicals, and analysis
    * Two part epoxy, with a 1 to 1 mixing ratio by volume.

Simple mix up and pour into your ballast until it overfills....follow bottle instructions..for mixing..
    ***on botom plate there is a plastic film you neeed to take a razor and cut it out do not cut the rubber foam stuff just the plastic card out... for better heat transfer to the bottom plate... and put bottom plate back on using the screws just without cover plate so you can pour in there without it coming out the bottom

Hella Ballast no way can they say that’s Waterproof!!! Anything High Voltage if I can open it and see electronics I won’t use it near water no matter what MFR says...

if you look at this pic you will notice a white thing it is the Ignitor and is the only thing potted and its only partially potted high voltage leads sticking out going to the pcb bored.

Matsushita Ballast Ignitor Look it’s filled with polyurethane no water can penetrate that.

This is Matsushita Ballast/inverter. If you look at the Screw the black stuff around it... i can’t even get the screw to turn they fill it to where is overfills into the screw base no way water gets in this ballast
    Emergency Vehicle Lighting R&D

interesting.. how much is the small 450ml kit?
    "Saving the world, one retrofit at a time..."

Comment

depending where you go...
      832TC-450ML is about $27.00

these where put more of a joke than to say go buy these.... its allot... so this is moved a bit...
      832TC-2L (2 liter) is about $120.00
      1,397.50 (50 Liter) is about $1,397.00

Comment

the gen 3 ballats covers are probably more cost effective for the gen 3 but for other ballasts this would be an interesting method to seal

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

i seal hella ballasts more than any other (i think there the worsed in retrofits because of watter) ..... matsushita are allready potted....

and as stated above you can get a cheaper potting compound i like this one cause i want one potting compound for all my projects.....

Comment

this explains why my ballasts have survived downpours of rain and multiple pressure washes. :rock: on, matsushita!
            It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
            2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Good find but very pricey, I just put lots of clear silicon around openings and connectors, may be later will put small plastic sandwich boxes $1 each at Walmart. Maybe $5-7 total.

Comment

Originally posted by tlordon
                832TC-450ML is about $27.00 depending where you go...
                jeesus.. haha. I'll stick with silicone and ziplock bags. works just as well if you seal/wrap them up properly.
                "Saving the world, one retrofit at a time..."

Comment

I don’t know what specific grade of silicone you’re using, as to whether it will degrade or not with the heat generated under the hood/ the ballast or outside temps…

You have to remember in whatever setup they where in on the OEM vehicle all the vulnerable points where waterproof by something around the ballast…. If that makes sense

Heres why you don’t want to just put a seal around the edges….
                  When the ballast goes threw temp changes from outside temp threw ballast heating up and cooling... pressure changes inside the ballast over time will break your silicon seal and if there’s moisture at that point the ballast will suck that air inside and either slowly eat your ballast or whatever…

Heres why you don’t want to put your ballast inside something…
                  When your ballast heats up
                  Your ballast also uses the casing of itself to dissipate heat.
                  You restrict its cooling capability…….

The ballast itself can handle -30 Celsius to 85 degrees Celsius in normal operating temps
                  My hella ballast after an hour of being on is hot to the touch not burning but hot..

When you consider what you paid for your setup the extra few bucks is worth it…..
                  It’s almost crazy not to do it and it’s cheaper than the HELLA plastic protectors that cost the same amount…. You’re going to have leftover potting compound…. That’s why you pay same…. You can use the leftover somewhere else on your HID or LED setup..

And it’s a guarantee waterproof….. Which is a big concern for any one that doesn’t have OE potted ballasts?
                  Ballasts should be mounted directly to metal or the case of the ballast grounded for extra thermal and electrical protection….they don’t say that but its common sense…
                  Oh and it looks so jerry rigged LMAO

It’s like this bixenon solenoid failing on peoples retros…. It’s because they forgot about heat dissipation for the solenoids protection…. It’s a simple relay… shouldn’t fail for a long time but heat kills them in a second…..

So as you said 7 bucks you have protection its not… in reality I think your ballast will fail prematurely… it might only cut a few hours or days off your ballast but it theoretically should fail first….think about it.. its harder for the ballast to cool and just not the way to do something rite….

The hella covers don’t offer real protection to moisture but since they have a decent seal it would add some benefit to an un-potted gen 3 ballast. Pot your hella and no hella cover..

I should have posted a cheaper potting compound but i use this one so I can say it works good…for all sorts of purposes…

You can find a much cheaper polyurethane based potting compound that would work…. But again I say this because its thermal for ballast that don’t have the electronics heatsinked to the casing.
                  and matsushitas are heatsinked so they use Polly compound

Comment

So if I get Matsushita Gen 2 ballasts, then I dont need to water proof them?
                    It would be ballasts off a 350z

Or i could go with Koito .......

Comment

I should state that these are a “case design� that are potted… look and see I wont speak on ballast I haven’t seen…

I should probably be more specific about the ballast I call waterproof it’ the XLB model from matsushita… pictures above…

If your ballast looks like the matsushita above with the potting compound you don’t have to worry..

From what I have seen on the round matsushita ballast is that you still have to waterproof where that big round ring is but down into where the lamp wire comes out.. As these again where designed to be integrated into the headlamp housing for moisture protection..

I don’t know who Koito is and wouldn’t go away from matsushita or hella.. You can find new matsushita on ebay.. I list every so often with 2Yr Warranty *(not an ad since not directing to current listing)..

Comment

Originally posted by tlordon
                        depending where you go...
                        832TC-450ML is about $27.00

these where put more of a joke than to say go buy these.... its allot... so this is moved a bit...
                        That's not bad for 2 liters, the expoy resin I use for my carbon fiber construction to be used inside a headlight cost more then that...

And nice to know there's someone else here that knows about this stuff

Best Regards,
                        Larry
                        Driving fast is having the highest acceleration in the appropriate direction

Comment

So you mix the stuff up and dump it over top here?

And here?

Got some pics with it done to the ballast?

I have the hella Case and will use those with that stuff as well. My ballast are in my front grill and greatly exposed to water and snow and ice. I fear them inhaleing water i have night mares about it actualy.

This epoxy alows the ballast to breath and you install the breather cap back in when your done?

WOW i can get this stuff in canada too cool.

Dave.
                          GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L. TSX mod. 2011 F350 in progress..

Comment

Dave no... once you pour all that stuff on yoru ballast, it doesn't even breath anymore! hahaha expoy is solid, it's not porous so air wont go in or out let alone water.

As long as whatever your pouring is thermally conductive then your fine, because there are heat sinks inside the ballast that attaches or touches the metal covers when you put them back on, you dont want to "bake" the ballast with something that's not thermally conductive.

The vent is just there because there's air inside, without air inside after you pot the ballast, then you wont even need the cap.

Larry
                            Driving fast is having the highest acceleration in the appropriate direction

Comment

Larry,

So like that Ronco cooker thats on the shopping channels.. Set it and forget it *LOL*

That stuff is conductive and allows the ballast to cool even so its covred in that stuff? So the ballast is no longer going to cool by air it will cool just by beeing exposed?

I want to still utilize the hella ballast covers, because the metal ones hella gives you wont work where i have my ballast mounted.

Where i have my ballast's

Dave.
                              GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L. TSX mod. 2011 F350 in progress..

Comment

Working...
                              X