• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work man good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
      Nice work man good stuff
      Thanks.
      I guess with the gap caused by bulb opening, it looks almost like 2 pencil beams on the road. Maybe one can use a large enough bowl mounted at the center of the grille opening like a cyclops, but still have the output at a distance to look like 2 separate beams.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Wall shots, at further distance ranges, still no lens

Since the "wall shot time-lapse" pictures 3 post up suggest that the beam pattern hasn't really stabilized, I looked at how the wall shots look at that further range.

As before, it's worth looking at the separate contributions (of the non-reflected rays and rays reflected by the bowl). I should note that the intensity level on the plots are not linear (as can be seen from the colorbar to the right of each plot). Rather, they are in log scale (pretty much like the Richter scale for describing earthquakes; a Magnitude 3.0 is 10 times bigger than a 2.0, etc.). Otherwise, I ran into problems making the plot look meaningful (since most of them appear dark). I suspect this is ok, since our eyes probably work in a similar scale (or maybe something very nonlinear that does that curves like that at the high end).

This is the non-reflected ray only. By 250ft, the rays on a 100ft tall "wall" are almost parallel to each other, as indicated by the vertical gradient. This should be as expected.

The reflected ray, in contrast, retain that higher concentration around the middle (save the gap due to the bulb opening).

And here is the combined output:

Note that the colormap auto adjusts for each plot; otherwise some of them would lose the details.

As a reminder, here is how the first 15 ft of "time lapse" (or should I say distance lapse) plot:

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          Thanks.
          I guess with the gap caused by bulb opening, it looks almost like 2 pencil beams on the road. Maybe one can use a large enough bowl mounted at the center of the grille opening like a cyclops, but still have the output at a distance to look like 2 separate beams.

In 3D, it's two diverging beams that are actually very far apart. When I played with my D2S in my room, it was about a 2ft hole at ~10 ft away. On the road that is pretty much your distance lighting. So the lens is critical to a useful output.

Comment

Originally posted by sportyaccordy View Post
            In 3D, it's two diverging beams that are actually very far apart. When I played with my D2S in my room, it was about a 2ft hole at ~10 ft away. On the road that is pretty much your distance lighting. So the lens is critical to a useful output.
            Yes, I was just kidding. Otherwise, no one would bother to put those heavy glass lenses.
            The 2nd picture in post #48 show how wide apart they are. 2 ft hole at about 10 ft away is consistent with the 2nd picture in post #45; my virtual 2D bowl might have a lot of similarities with a Mini D2S then.

Comment

You started adding copyright text? Might wanna do that on all of them if you think it's worth it to start adding them

And I might go back and clean up the thread when you're finished posting, so that all of your information is together.

Comment

I added the copyright, but I don't feel strongly about it. I'm ok with anyone using it as long as they don't take credit for it. Even then, it has happened to me before.

As for cleaning up the thread, I may have to do that. I'd like to get a nice table of contents of sorts. For now, there's a lot of exploring to do.

Comment

Good Thread Satrya, you communicate technical term in simple ways.

Understanding the physics of the optic is a must, but you could get a demo or low end rays trace program onlime and build your model in CAD that way you can iterate the design quickly. I've always wanting do this for awhile now, but didn't have time, so it's awesome to see someone else who has interest in this. I'm not surprise that we only utilize 20-30% of the total rays. Mirror like reflector is very expensive and the cost isn't linear compared to performance.

Keep it coming!
                  FEEDBACK THREAD
                  00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
                  6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
                  Chassis and Suspension
                  2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.

Comment

^
                    Thank you. I'll update this thread whenever I can.

Comment

You are a genius, is only matter of time before we see the Satrya 3" Projector

Comment

Originally posted by GSD07 View Post
                        You are a genius, is only matter of time before we see the Satrya 3" Projector
                        Kind words. Thank you.

The fact is I am a non industry insider, and there are a lot of known unknowns from my perspective that makes a good projector. I'm just trying to better understand the basics here.

Comment

Better understanding focal points, shapes and distances will certainly help people confirm beforehand what hybrid of parts might work better or worse. That could be a huge help in tough projects when there is NO simple answer to fit. At least from what I've read thus far. A plug n play type part finder could possibly come of this code you are writing.......I have Xspecs on the lens holder - I could use Y reflector bowl with Z lens and get a certain output quality.
                          <-----Appologizes now, ahead of time for being an HID noob!

13 Sonata - Twin Scroll TDO5 EvoX Turbo - Custom Cast Tube Manifold - First/Only One!
                          Sponsors:
                          Custom Performance Engineering
                          Seoulful Racing
                          845 Motorsports
                          KThree Projekt Wheels

Comment

Working...
                          X