This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for uploading them !!

I'm sure that you know better which is the brightest in the real world environment. So which one offers the best light output ? Is 5Five really as bright (if not brighter) as the boosted Hella gen 3 (55 w) ?

Comment

To sw07tc,
      Do you think if it is still worth to boost Gen 3 ballast given the recent option of fastbright f5 and f7?
      should i just buy a pair of fastbright F7 and get better lumen than boosted gen3?
      ThanksThanks
      Last edited by Gtus; November 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Only if you want to run them at 45-48w if you think 55w is a big jump to cut the life span of your bulbs and bowl. That's the reason why I reserved two pair of new HG3.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

Sw07TC what would you charge to boost a pair or two?
          Originally posted by HK45
          I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

I got two pair new 1.5yrs past by sitting in my storage, just doesnt have time to complete em. Those are brand new hella gen 3 with KET connectors i might trying to get rid of.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

I have a few sets myself, including a pair with those KET connectors and 2 pairs of brand new ones, wouldn't mind getting a pair boosted with dual-wattage for my parents' SUV if it's not too costly to do. Almost all the other ballasts (mostly Denso) I collected over the years were ruined when water pipes in my house burst and filled up the storage bin I had them in, the LVQs were either on a shelf that didn't get wet or in my garage.
              Originally posted by HK45
              I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Hi, I'm in the process of boosting my Hella Ballast. It worked for about 5 seconds every time I fire it up.
                Do you guys think it might cause by the PC power supply that i'm using to test it?

thank you

Comment

Necrobump, but can someone rehost heatsink pics please?
                  Maybe on Imgur.com? or somewhere more permanent?

2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8TQM ATW
                  Mods: Tuned, S4 FX400 6 Puck - 240mm, ECS LWFW, Test Pipe, S4 Brakes, Bilstein Shocks, Neuspeed Springs, 22mm RSB, 19" RS4s, Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon Projectors
                  Imgur Album

Comment

Not question about modding but i need to disconnect bulb supply connector from the ballast (without chutting it), is it possible at all? Maybe easier on AMP socket side? But that seems to be sealed. Thanks for help.

Comment

Does anyone know what the output will be with only updating to the more efficient FETs?

Stock Hella gen3 ballast with 1x 75333P + 2x IRF540 – 80.5%
                      Boost Hella gen3 ballast with 1x IRF1405 + 2x FDP3682 – 87%

My math shows 35W x 6.5% increase in efficiently = 37.275W.

Has anyone made actual measurement?

Comment

None. Just a more efficient ballast. Less draw on your charging system.

Comment

Originally posted by sall View Post
                          None. Just a more efficient ballast. Less draw on your charging system.
                          sall - Thanks for your answer. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by sall View Post
                            What is wrong with the directions in OP? I modded two pair of Gen3 ballasts with these insructions. I run 37w with 46w and 55w on demand. Measuring with proper equipment those numbers are actual. Quarter watt resistors are fine. However, the resistor values in the write-up are not quite accurate. I also know awhelage had similar results with his modded ballasts and test equipment.
                            Any one can help/elaborate on bolded part? I want to use 2R resitor with most efficient mosfets.
                            What power output I can expect? I would like 46-48W.

Comment

Working...
                            X