This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HID Lowbeam Comparison - Outdoor

As a continuation from my indoor projector comparison at 20ft, I decided to do the same comparison outdoor.

Environment Settings
    Comparison is done at ~80ft from wall with no moonlight. All shots taken on the same night. All projectors used the same Oem 35w Philips ballast with Oem 35w D2S 85122+ bulb, slight used. The same D2S bulb is notched at 9 o'clock for use with D4S projectors such as LS460 and IS250. Mini H1, Fusion fog, and Blazer fog used their own non-Oem bulbs rating at 35w with 4300k.

All shots are taken with Nikon D60 camera in manual mode with ISO 800, Aperture F10, and Speed of 1.0 sec, mounted on a tripod.

Comparison Results

So there you have it. I kept the environment the same as much as possible; the only different is the projectors except for the Mini H1 and fog projectors. Btw, I allows the bulb to warm up to about 1 minutes before taking shots.

You can use this comparison for references on your future projects. I know there are people who disagree with the results. Each of us has different preferences as to what constitutes performance. Please note that some projectors have more light bleeding above the cutoff than the others. This makes the surrounding area above the cutoff appears brighter. This doesn't mean that I use different camera settings. As always, please feel free to do you own testing. Not all projectors are the same even if they comes from the same make and model.

Also, I recommend opening each picture in different tabs and compare each projector by switching tabs, rather than scrolling up and down. You'll see the differences better. Also look at the lighting on drive-way and not just on the garage door, as well to the sides.

wow great shots! sure makes it easier choosing what to get
    I Ride/2 Wheels

Comment

Nice.

Comment

JVX,
        that is dang impressive.
        Couple of questions.
        Some seem to have a very intense white hot spot(hella evo for example) and others dont(sc460)......
        Would the ones w/ the hs go 'farther' down the road?

also, I would love to see a picture (in the same environment) of a hid bulb in a halogen reflector lens. In other words a really bad example w/ glare etc. aND then a pic with the correct halogen bulb in the lens.
        Maybe some one has already done this.
        I am preparing a 'thread/sticky' for an infiniti forum that I moderate and would appreciate some pics like that.

again, great pics!
        thanks!

HID plug n play fail govt tests
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ails-govt-test

Matchbox hid projectors in BMW 530i fog projectors
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t=E60+matchbox

Comment

More great work JVX. I hope your neighbors didn't mind lol (perhaps they are used to it).
          Originally posted by mcrews View Post
          Some seem to have a very intense white hot spot(hella evo for example) and others dont(sc460)......
          Would the ones w/ the hs go 'farther' down the road?
          An intense hot spot right up at the cutoff will be the best for distance lighting. The evox-r was designed to replicate the e55, which has a similar hotpot for great distance and high beam (not as much width though). You can see on the FX-R 1.0, that the hot spot isn't concentrated up at the cutoff, but rather streaks all the way to the foreground limiter. This hurts distance lighting. Also, projectors like the FX-R 3.0 and D2S that have no foreground limiter (and in turn a lot of foreground light) hurt your distance vision.

Comment

I'm still likin the custom shielded rx330s the most somethin looks weird w/ that hotspot tho.. doesn't look round anymore =\ I like its method of foreground limiting better than fx-rs and TLs.. those are like... foreground eliminators.... I think fx-r 1.0s are gonna be my next projector of interest.... laserbeam reduction

Comment

Holy crap that RX330 with custom shield is awesome.
              It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
              2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Some people love foreground light.
                Thanks for the pics JVX

2007 e90 335i
                //OEM

Comment

Thanks, that helps.

HID plug n play fail govt tests
                  http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ails-govt-test

Matchbox hid projectors in BMW 530i fog projectors
                  http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...t=E60+matchbox

Comment

ls460
                    rx330 custom shield
                    sc460

my top picks,oh and FX-Rv1 (since thats what i have hehe)

and what made that large puddle lol?

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
                    2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
                    2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Comment

FX-R 3.0's look promising.

Comment

"sc460"? Is it ls460? or sc430???

Comment

The FX-R 1.0 just looks so frecking bright and wide, it's a shame it has that "laser".

The custom rx330s are definitely my favorites of the bunch, I love how the hot spot is a thin line all the way across the beam, with zero foreground light.

Comment

output shots look great JVX, Im sure your neighbor loveeed this, haha.

Of all, I cannot believe how bad the S2K looks, wow

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
                            * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

Originally posted by TRSMatt View Post
                              output shots look great JVX, Im sure your neighbor loveeed this, haha.

Of all, I cannot believe how bad the S2K looks, wow
                              Thats S2k did not seem like a great copy....none the less thanks JVX
                              Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Comment

Working...
                              X