No announcement yet.

35W/ 55W Ballasts Roundup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idk if you could get a hold of one but my buddy is running some old xentec ballasts.. when we tested my projectors in the veloster they were definitely brighter then the morimotos... the mori's were definitely a steadier strike though

Comment

Originally posted by frenchkey View Post
      Thanks stupidpig for a very instructive post.

I have a no name Chinese ballasts, and I allways asked myself why they have such a significant overshoot before reaching steady state. I tought that the peak before steady state should be retained, and that my ballasts are bad. I really like intensity of lights when they are in overshoot, and I hate them when they drop about 20%

I have morimoto mini h1, and I am afraid to fry my projectors if I use 5five ballasts.
      Is it possible to boost standard 3five ballasts to be something like 4five?

Lmao Sorry to bring this up but been diggin n..... ((4five)) , got the same thought

Thanks stupidpig for all the infos here, and thanks to the donors and all efforts been put in this GOLDEN thread.

Comment

Which gen was that 5Five ballast?

Comment

Seems the Morimoto Five5 ballast is a little weak?

5. Morimoto 3Five (35W) - 6237
          7. Morimoto 5Five w/AMP connector (50W) – 7870

26% more output, but 42% more wattage? I know it won't be perfectly linear but that's a heck of a drop off.

Comment

The ballasts in this test are not the current version (they are quite old in fact) so I don't know how useful this is anymore...

Comment

I recently purchased and installed a brand new pair of Morimoto 3Five 5000K 35W HID bulbs and although they look good, the output doesn't look that impressive to me. Maybe it's because I'm use to the bright crisp output of the retrofit headlights on my other car which never did come equipped with HIDS from the factory. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using aftermarket ballasts with these bulbs or is it because of the wattage of the bulbs and/or OEM ballasts. I would really like to have the increased light output since I drive a lot on unlit back roads. What should be my next plan of action? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I had done a comparison with the hella gen 3 ballast and the morimoto 5Five ballast recently. The Morimoto H11 bulb cannot be turned on with a Gen 3 hella ballast. I had some H11 cheapo 3000K fog lights I tried and seen no difference either my morimoto are not true 50w or the hellas run at 50w which I highly see not possible. I only is morimoto bulbs bulbs would start with any ballast but I dont get whats the deal with that. Now more and more I realize OEM for me. I can cut and and make my own connections as well.
                My selling rep

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...161#post670161

Comment

Originally posted by MrG4Life View Post
                  I recently purchased and installed a brand new pair of Morimoto 3Five 5000K 35W HID bulbs and although they look good, the output doesn't look that impressive to me. Maybe it's because I'm use to the bright crisp output of the retrofit headlights on my other car which never did come equipped with HIDS from the factory. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using aftermarket ballasts with these bulbs or is it because of the wattage of the bulbs and/or OEM ballasts. I would really like to have the increased light output since I drive a lot on unlit back roads. What should be my next plan of action? Thanks in advance.
                  I assume from this that you are putting these bulbs in an OEM HID setup? D2R/S? Those bulbs will not be as bright as stock. I recommend Osram CBI bulbs if you want 5000k light that is brighter than stock. I know it was a huge upgrade in my OEM D2R HID reflectors.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                    I assume from this that you are putting these bulbs in an OEM HID setup? D2R/S? Those bulbs will not be as bright as stock. I recommend Osram CBI bulbs if you want 5000k light that is brighter than stock. I know it was a huge upgrade in my OEM D2R HID reflectors.
                    Yep that is correct. OEM setup with no sort of modification to the reflectors. I'm definitely open in trying the Osram bulbs but do you you think I should go just the 35W bulbs or step it up a bit in buying the 50W kit that includes the ballast?

Comment

I would go with the CBIs or yellower SVS/Nightbreaker equivalent. I know that when I put a pair of them in my reflectors, I had zero desire to further improve my lighting! Took me forever to finish the retrofit because I didn't need it lol.

Comment

can you test the combination of 35watt bulb with 55 watt ballast vs 55watt bulb with 35watt ballast vs 35watt bulb and 35watt ballast?
                        thanks.

Comment

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any info on denso slims? lux, amp draw, noise, ramping?

Comment

how important for brightness is the input voltage? 12v or is 14v better?

Comment

I'd be interested in finding some information about the Denso's also...

Comment

Found this looking for testing of the Zenex 50w I am running. I am looking for more output.

Comment

Working...
                                X