This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bulb vs. New Bulb Output Comparison

This post is made possible due to my mistake of using an old bulb during my testing of the A4 Valeo projector which I borrowed from 'gearbox'. I was going to test out this projector and add it to my picture collection.

The old bulb is a 85122 D2S with 400+ hours of usage. During the test, I noticed the A4 is way under-performing. Upon checking the bulb, I realized I had used an old bulb. So, I had to re-do the test with a newer bulb, same one used in all of my testing. The newer bulb has about 20 hours of usage. Here's the result between the two bulbs.

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Old Bulb

New Bulb

So, it goes to show that you should change out your bulb every 2 years or so. Btw, both outputs are taken with the same camera settings, iso800, f8.0, and 1/4 sec. Car parked about 35ft from wall. Just taken on different day.

Wow, great post! Forget the projectors... this one is about the bulbs!

Comment

yeah thats an amazing difference. sad part is people actually driving with that kind of output with good projectors. i dont even think you can safely see at night with the old bulb. in your first post did you mean to say 4,000+ hrs? cause if its only 400 and the output looks like that, we have a problem lol.

Comment

So need to change bulb every 400 hrs? That's last than 1.5 years for people driving 1 hr every night......
        Look at my HID / Lighting works at Stupidpig HID | Facebook

Comment

i think 1500 hrs you should be okay. 1000 hrs if you dont mind spending $$ sooner so you dont lose too much output. theres a lumen loss graph somewhere i posted. prolly newb crash course thread.

Comment

I was being generous with the 400 hours. Well, I used it for about 2 years (730 days) and I turned it on for about 1 hours each day, but I don't drive every days. So I would say about 600 hours on that old bulb to be more realistic.

Comment

wow that is a big difference. the old bulb looks like it is a halogen projector with halogen bulb... lol
              "You can take an average picture of an extraordinary thing or you can take an extraordinary picture of an average thing"

Comment

yup, huge difference....looks like a totally new projector
                My feedback...lol I know
                http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...812&highlight=

09 Civic SI Alabaster Silver Metallic Sedan
                01 Civic EX Coupe 5 Speed RIP

Comment

600 hours???? That's a problem! One of the touted benefits of HID is the longevity of the bulbs. Can anyone provide any data as to the amount of hours we can expect to get out of our bulbs before their lumens decrease to that of halogens? (Using 35watt ballasts)
                  50 Watt Ballast + 85122 = Six Lanes of Daylight!!!!!!
                  Either Retro or Go Home!!!

Comment

this is what i thought...

Comment

Based on that chart, we're looking at around 1500 hours to get down to about 2400 lumens........that's a far cry from the 600 hours posted earlier.
                      50 Watt Ballast + 85122 = Six Lanes of Daylight!!!!!!
                      Either Retro or Go Home!!!

Comment

Old Bulb vs. New Bulb Output Comparison

Just happened to play around with my e39 projector, I decided to do the same comparison test.

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Old Bulb

New Bulb

Btw, this a single e39 with oem shield and ZKW clear lens.

Comment

wow there's a huge difference!

Comment

I remember when I bought an A4 years ago, I was excited it had stock HIDs. Until it got dark out, they were so crappy. Stock osrams with probably tons of hours. Threw in some 122+ and I was thrilled with the difference!

Comment

Great, now you have me wanting to spend even more money. Now you're making me want new bulbs too!

Comment

Working...
                              X