No announcement yet.

How to mod a Denso ballast-56k warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I though you have the Denso, but found you got the Bosch. Nvm...

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

yeah I'd love to have adjustable boosted Densos lol

Comment

From what I was told when boosting the Densos in this manner they will not last. This was from one of the two people who boost them. Not sure if that is marketing gimmic or what.

Comment

I just dug out the pair of denso ballasts I got from TRS when they were moving to their current location. I only paid $25 for them, so I was thinking about playing around with making these adjustable. The plan would be run them at 35w most of the time with the option of going up to around 55w or so on occasion. Any ideas of the reliability of them in a situation like this? I can add some heatsinking to them if that is necessary.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
          FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Check on headlight junkies there was a post a couple of weeks ago about modding them.

I think the conclusion was that using a POT leads to a short life while using resistors kept a long life

Comment

The only thing I could find on headlight junkies pointed back to this thread. I was planning on using one or two set resistances with a SPDT switch rather than a potentiometer anyway. It's my understanding to far that adding extra resistance will increase the output here, no? Also not sure of what resistance will give me 55w. Not having much luck finding the information.

Comment

I have been running Hella Gen3 with on demand boost for a long time now. I run 37/46/55w. When BiX solenoid goes down automatic 55w boost for high beam. Any other time 46/55w boost on demand is available with simple press of CarPC touch screen . I used small signal relays to accomplish the feat mounted and isolated inside the ballast. I know it is not the same ballast but so much better than using a pot inside the car and turning it or a rotary switch.

Last edited by sall; August 19th, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The automatic idea is interesting.

Comment

Just something extra I threw in. I thought "Why not?" Provisions could be built in to disable that feature easily on demand as well.

Comment

Makes me want to steal my boss's old ballasts (Caesar) and mod them for on demand boost.
                      2005 Legacy GT: Stage 2 + VF52 turbo, RX330 w/custom shield, Nichia DRL

Comment

TRS really needs to start selling a variable wattage ballast. I would seriously love for my ballasts to run @ 55W when high beams are on.
                        2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

Bumping up this thread again. Ok i have some koito d4s ballast and the resistor parts and placement is quite same like these denso. Since I could not find concerete information on boosting them. I would like to experiment with them in same manner but instead of being variable wattage i would like them to be constant 50w all the time. So is there a reliable and fix way to keep them boosted at 50w. I want them to be reliable so is there a better way like changing resistor instead of adding pot.
                          My feedback thread
                          https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...for-mayurhuria

Comment

Working...
                          X