Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mod a Denso ballast-56k warning

DISCLAMER:
    Try this modification at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any personal injury/death, mistakes/long term effects and/or damage to property. Please be cautious, ballasts run at high voltage and can carry risk of death if altered by people. Please refrain from carrying out this modification if you are unaware of the risk involved.

Hopefully these pictures will help people modify their denso ballasts. This mod is hard because you have to work in such a small space but the results are amazing. Again, as usual, do this at your own risk. For off road use only. Enjoy!

Remove the metal screw and pry the cover off

You will need to remove the potting material to gain access to where soldering needs to be done. I have read on the forums that q-tips are good for removing denso potting material. Whatever works best for you.

(finished denso)

(close ups of area that you have to work with)

Solder the wires from the potentiometer to the resistors as shown in the pictures. Some people like to remove the resistors completely.

10k pot

|Rx330 AFS W/Clear Lens|Maxima Fogs W/Removed Shields For High Beams|Blazer Fogs|

Supercharge a Bosch Ballast in 5 Easy Steps

Your picture was help. But how can u solder so thick wire on top of that SMT.
    Can you tell me what did you use as well.

Soldering the wire on top of that s still a myster

Comment

Moved to the University.

Comment

results pics?
        Check My Feedback

http://www.frappr.com/hidplanetgroupies

Comment

You can solder on top as well as remove the resitors. I did not mod these ballasts. This set was modded by member on this forum that charges for the service(almost $200+ the price of the ballasts ](*,) ) My ballasts died with in two weeks of getting the modification done. I rarely used these ballasts in boost mode. Maybe twice for 5 minute stretches. I even asked the seller if he had ever had any problems with any boosted ballasts going bad and was assured that he had never experienced a problem with these.

The seller gave me instructions on how to mod the densos. I haven't done it yet because I was able to mod bosch ballasts instead. I basically took pictures of the dead ballasts and wrote up the instructions according to the seller. Reverse engineering these will hopefully help members here do this modification on there own instead of dishing out major money to others.

I am a little skeptical every time a member of this forum talks about densos being so reliable when boosted. Maybe some others with boosted densos can comment about long term use. I guess 2 weeks isn’t really long term ](*,) . I feel that no matter what kind of ballast you boost you are risking a good set of ballasts.

|Rx330 AFS W/Clear Lens|Maxima Fogs W/Removed Shields For High Beams|Blazer Fogs|

Comment

what is the value of the original component or the value of the pot that is used to replace it. Also is it linear or log pot?

Comment

Originally posted by CoZZm0_AU
              what is the value of the original component or the value of the pot that is used to replace it. Also is it linear or log pot?
              I added some pictures of the 10k pot

Comment

Only strange people would use that wire to solder ( what a mess ) !!!

Comment

excuse my ignorance but what does this mod do specifically?

Comment

Increases the potential power output of the ballast past the factory 35W to up to as high as the ballast circuitry might go, which has been reported as high as ~100+W in previous threads, although the heat produced at such a high wattage is just amazing.

Most people run them to 50-70W, which overdrives all the electornics and the globes, but produces a FAR brighter output.

Its a risky modification as it can cause damage to all the components in the HID setup, but some people just can't get enough Lumens!

Comment

ah. figured it was something like. Thanks for explaining it.

Comment

Im sorry I cant really make it clear where to solder the big black wires are in the way. Is this correct;?

Comment

How do you know what resistor to use? Can we get some more detailed pics. I have these ballasts and I'd like to run them at 40-45 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRasp
                            How do you know what resistor to use? Can we get some more detailed pics. I have these ballasts and I'd like to run them at 40-45 watts.
                            have you popped the cover off of yours and seen just how small the parts are? i got one denso ballast a few months ago to put in my spotlight, and i had previously seen pics of them modded, well i opened it up, looked at it a bit, then put the cover back on because unless you do some kind of miniature electronic work for a living, your most likely going to screw up a good ballast, i did however get some Bosch gen1's and modded them, the Bosch ballasts are much easier to work with, good luck!
                            '99 Toyota Tacoma, TL\ZKW, DL50's, yourhid 50w ballasts, S2K fogs with 85122 35w
                            '08 Can-am Renegade, 9005 Hid kit 4300k
                            '76 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, Hella E-codes, Catz Zeta boosted H4 GE Nighthawks

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X