Halogen Bulbs vs HID Bulbs vs LED Bulbs And Where They Belong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halogen Bulbs vs HID Bulbs vs LED Bulbs And Where They Belong

Got a little project coming up. Figure I'd just leave this here for now. Once I gather all the data, I will update the thread.

*CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

--- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
    ---
    2013 Speed Triple ---
    --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

Comment

That the only H11 led bulb you tested? Because that one blows chunks.

I've tested a few different ones and currently this one here is sitting in the wifes minivan. Double the lux. Wider beam. Few lux more glare above the cutoff.

Eklight K6

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Is that a reflector or projector housing?
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Reflector.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Is that a reflector or projector housing?
            wow I was going to ask that but i thought from the cutoff it was a projector lol

Comment

subbed.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with your wife's reflector or that pnp bulb lol. I always associated "blow chunks" with a negative connotation.

Comment

For a reflector that cutoff is kinda impressive, they're usually fuzzy and undefined. The additional glare above cutoff from the LED is probably negligible in real life, camera exposure just makes it more obvious. Is the bulb rotatable?
                Originally posted by HK45
                I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

It really is a great beam and I'm happy with it (except for the finicky dodge canbus system that gives faint flickering here and there). I'll be purchasing a dash cam to take some before/after night footage to illustrate the difference. The sharpness of the cutoff on the road does appear at times on a bumpy surface to mimic a projector.

The LED image above only appears to be more glareish because the beam is wider thus spilling over to the adjacent wall which is reflecting that light over. As stated the lux meter only registered a few more lux more above the cutoff. And for what its worth, when I compared my Cruze headlamp to the minivan headlamp, the Cruze registered more glare above the cutoff. Both tested with their respective halogen bulbs.

Round reflectors offer the best beams I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                    For a reflector that cutoff is kinda impressive, they're usually fuzzy and undefined. The additional glare above cutoff from the LED is probably negligible in real life, camera exposure just makes it more obvious. Is the bulb rotatable?
                    Caravan headlight? My father has one. The headlight preforms really well. With the halogen bulbs installed there is a pretty sharp cutoff for a reflector. I know what you mean about this headlight mimicing a projector on bump roads.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                      That the only H11 led bulb you tested?
                      Yessir. Claimed 4800 lumens of new and "upgraded" technology with CREE XHP50 chips and "DOT Compliant". All the rave that people boast about their PnP LED bulbs.

Comment

Glad to see this test, hopefully we can start linking this along with my guide to end thread clutter.

That looks like a h11 low beam projector, same as in my Mazda 3. No bulb, hid led or h9 swap makes it any good.

Comment

Sad part is that LED bulbs that claim "4800lm" probably have half the lumens (half the bulb) shining on the reflector bowl and that other light gets trapped behind the shield. aka only 2400lm maybe that gets out past the projector.
                          Last edited by 16cx-5; February 16th, 2017, 07:11 PM. Reason: derp

Comment

Originally posted by rdriggett View Post
                            Glad to see this test, hopefully we can start linking this along with my guide to end thread clutter.

That looks like a h11 low beam projector, same as in my Mazda 3. No bulb, hid led or h9 swap makes it any good.
                            Yes! I can't wait to shut down PnP LED users and their stupid 10,000 lumen claims

And that is your run of the mill H11 projector. It's HID swap is RX330 Non AFS aka Maxima

Comment

Yeah it's a real shame. A few PNP LED bulbs have (limited) potential but the CREE ones are garbage. Only ones worth looking at use Philips Luxeon chips in a thin row.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X