Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rx350:- Oem polished lens vs Sti-r lens output comparison

Hey guys.
    These comparison shots were done today on a request of a HJ member. But more often I have seen people curious on hidp about how Sti-r lens fares compared to oem polished lens. Since we all know Sti-r lens requires either widening of lens holder to fit in or spacers and washers to fit and make it work. So people have mixed reviews for them but are considered one of the best upgrade on a very good projector. The famous Rx350.

Ok so I have oem polished lens and Sti-r lens sidewise to compare. Sadly I have no dslr or a good camera with me but I tried my best to get good phone shots to give a fair comparison. There may be similar thread but I guess there was no sideways comparison of sti-r vs oem polished.

So lets start
    Since the comparison to be fair enough it has to be everything same other than lens and lens holder(since in this I will be using Sti-r lens in widened lens holder, as I do not want to use any washer, so as to keep all other parameters same).

So instead of using two different projector, rest all things were kept same both time i.e same bowl, bulb, ballast, shield

Bulb used

Generic d4s 5000k

Ballast used

Oem d4s koito

Shield

Non afs low beam rhd(squirell finder removed)

Distance approx 30ft(except closeup shots)
    So lets begin

Oem polished

Sti-r lens(widened lens holder, no spacers and washers)

As per my observations, Sti-r lens gives more of blue at cutoff whereas oem polished lens gives more of purple.
    Secondly, oem polished lens gives more sharpness on sides compared to Sti-r lens.
    Sadly due to my roof design I was not able to capture entire width in pics. But still it may give a fair idea.

Hope it may be of some help for you guys.

Cheers!!
    My feedback thread
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...for-mayurhuria

nice

it was better to do modifications on STI-R (washers, ... ) and compare that too.

Comment

Awesome results!

Comment

Thanks! Now tell us your SOURCE!

Nathanael Carriere

Facebook l Instagram l Website l Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mostafa United View Post
          nice

it was better to do modifications on STI-R (washers, ... ) and compare that too.
          You mean to use spacers for making lens sit in lens holder and then use washer to get right output? I already a widened lens holder so compared it that way. Also I feel this is right way to use Sti-r lens compared to spacers. As its said washers reduce width. But if you want I can use the same way and post results though have to make spacers out of cereal box. Do let me know and I will post results

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
          Awesome results!
          Thanks bud

Originally posted by Hinyo View Post
          Thanks! Now tell us your SOURCE!
          An optical company :-D lol
          Actually its done by my known who owns a lens manufacturing company(basically scientific optical components) the issues is its a diffcult job because of lens tab(which is used for mounting it) as it make mounting before polishing difficult. They have to make a some sort of temporary arrangment for mounting it which makes it tough for them. Thus keeps cost and time high.
          My feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by mayurhuria View Post
            You mean to use spacers for making lens sit in lens holder and then use washer to get right output? I already a widened lens holder so compared it that way. Also I feel this is right way to use Sti-r lens compared to spacers. As its said washers reduce width. But if you want I can use the same way and post results though have to make spacers out of cereal box. Do let me know and I will post results Thanks bud An optical company :-D lol Actually its done by my known who owns a lens manufacturing company(basically scientific optical components) the issues is its a diffcult job because of lens tab(which is used for mounting it) as it make mounting before polishing difficult. They have to make a some sort of temporary arrangment for mounting it which makes it tough for them. Thus keeps cost and time high.
            I figured that would be the case. VERY few people in teh word can actually do it. Any its all people who do like telescope lenses or scientific ones just as you mention.

Nathanael Carriere

Facebook l Instagram l Website l Blog

Comment

I didn't even know lens polishing was a thing, lol.

I found a place in Maryland that offers this service so I requested a quote. I guess if its $40 or less then I might opt for it versus paying for a pair of ZKW-R for my Koito Biled.

Any explanation how a polished lens versus a clear lens offers improvements? Its it more optically clear? What makes them different?
              www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hinyo View Post

I figured that would be the case. VERY few people in teh word can actually do it. Any its all people who do like telescope lenses or scientific ones just as you mention.
                Yes because it requires proper setup and margin of error with these is very very less these glasses aren't that strong I have few that got pen point size chip but that's the risk have to be taken. I would rather choose a professional who do n number of lenses, to do it than myself as I do not want to end up with a waste oem lens which won't be easy to find.
                My feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                  Any explanation how a polished lens versus a clear lens offers improvements? Its it more optically clear? What makes them different?
                  Basically with lens polishing oem fresnal lens is converted to oem clear lens. So they are oem clear as compared to aftermarket clear

Advantages of oem polished lens
                  1). Aftermarket lens in most case requires trimming of lens holder, or adding spacers to sit and then adding washers to make desired cutoff as we know they are universal so not exact size for particular projector. Oem polished saves all this hassle.
                  2) In case of rx350 if you look closely at complete cutoff shots the oem polished gave more sharpness even on sides compared to Sti-r
                  3). Oem with advantages of replica. So anyday oem over replica(atleast for me)

Disadvantages of oem polished
                  1). A little more expensive to get them polished then to get aftermarket clear
                  2).professional preferred for the process.
                  My feedback thread

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how much is "shaved" off exactly during the polishing process?
                    www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                      Thanks for the info.

Do you know how much is "shaved" off exactly during the polishing process?
                      No no exact idea. But in these particular lens oem ones are polka dot lens so all that must have been removed till the surface is clear and shiny. It may vary from lens to lens type. No oem fresnal lens with me to compare sidewise too.
                      My feedback thread

Comment

Low exposure shots the OEM polished kills it. The STI-R lens doesn't compare. Damn.

This can be done to any OEM lens?

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
                          This can be done to any OEM lens?
                          Almost all of oem lens are fresnal from outside surface only so that can be polished off to clear
                          My feedback thread

Comment

Did you use the same camera settings (specifically aperture, iso, and shutter speed) between the similar pictures? I.e. STI-R low exposure's settings were the same as OEM polished low exposure's settings? Just curious if I'm looking at apples-to-apples to apples-to-oranges here.

Comment

OEM polished over aftermarket clear all night long!

OP, are you who I think you are on Headlight Junkies?
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X