Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballast Warm Up Comparison Video: Morimoto xb55 (50w) vs Boosted Hella Gen 3 (55w)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast Warm Up Comparison Video: Morimoto xb55 (50w) vs Boosted Hella Gen 3 (55w)

The Hella blows the Morimoto out of the water but it is still fun to see how well these Hella ballasts perform relative to what many "headlight junkies" consider to be the gold-standard.

Both bulbs are cold, low-hour Morimoto xb 5,000k, both ballasts are cold.
    xb55 is projecting through a H1 7.0 inside a housing, Hella is ran through a D2S 4.0.

Hella ignites at ~50% and gets to full strength in about 5 seconds.
    Morimoto ignites at <10% and takes about 30 seconds to reach full strength.

Really impressive ballasts, I have been plucking these gems from salvage yards and have a stock of about 8 pairs

Evan

Originally posted by ucsbwsr View Post
    Hella ignites at ~50% and gets to full strength in about 5 seconds. Morimoto ignites at <10% and takes about 30 seconds to reach full strength.
    Put a lux meter to measure the light output = very interesting result. OEM or proper HID has a ramp down curve = 12amp at start up then settle to ~3.5A; thus high intensity at first start then stabilize to proper output in 2s = 80%.
    Projects::Feedback
    *Since HIDPlanet is own by TRS and not an open forum...I had stopped posting.*

THX *Dips on "LEDPlanet" as new username for fun.

Comment

Holy crap the morimoto takes forever! I really need a quality soldering iron so I can try my hand at boosting. I'm always jelly of your junkyard finds lol
      2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
      2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

If you're using the same color temperature bulbs than the hella is definitely outputting more than 55watts. From what I can tell from the video the hella ballast bulb temperature is noticeably warmer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Well it's likely that the Hella is putting out 55W at the output. The XB55 is doing 50W input isn't it?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64
            Well it's likely that the Hella is putting out 55W at the output. The XB55 is doing 50W input isn't it?
            When I tested the XB55's it was 54-55 input. Wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 50watts. The ballast would have to be over 90% efficient to put out 50 watts at the bulb.

Comment

Even at 48W output, the Hella is likely doing 55W output! Big bump.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Bulbs are both low hour xb 5,500k.

Kelvin difference is due to ballast output, the Hella is stronger: higher output (55w vs 50w) and also likely more efficient.

Evan

Comment

Seriously impressive. Wonder if I can get some and boost them myself for some reliable 55w powerboxes!

Comment

Can you stack them against a F5?
                    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter
                      Can you stack them against a F5?
                      Evan I have a F5 if you want to throw it against the hella. Also I have the Accord LED fog if you want to compare it to the other led fogs you have. DM here or Facebook if you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
                        Evan I have a F5 if you want to throw it against the hella. Also I have the Accord LED fog if you want to compare it to the other led fogs you have. DM here or Facebook if you want them.
                        Personally I don't have much interest in comparing the F5 but for the sake of data collection I would be willing to do it for the community. That or someone with F5s can purchase a modded pair of Hellas from me. So if you are willing to let me borrow a ballast I will gladly test it.

As for the Accord fogs do you want to send me a pair and I can send you the BMW F12 LED fogs in exchange.... permanently?

Evan

Comment

Great work as always!

Nathanael Carriere

Facebook l Instagram l Website l Blog

Comment

Here is a comparison vs Denso Slim

Comment

Originally posted by ucsbwsr
                              Personally I don't have much interest in comparing the F5 but for the sake of data collection I would be willing to do it for the community. That or someone with F5s can purchase a modded pair of Hellas from me. So if you are willing to let me borrow a ballast I will gladly test it.

As for the Accord fogs do you want to send me a pair and I can send you the BMW F12 LED fogs in exchange.... permanently?

Evan
                              I only have one and I'm using it to replace the drivers side since I stripped the adjuster.

That hella is amazing. I need to find one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X