No announcement yet.

How to Supercharge a Bosch Ballast-Updated Output Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, so 2 separate things in the post, not related.

Comment

• Yeah, I probably should have made that clear

I'm just waiting on stuff to boost them. I should practice soldering that small first, but I haven't a clue what to practice on
      ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

• And I say again, pics?? This is a DIY thread lol

Comment

• Pics of what?

Comment

• The ballast internals... the resistor.... the process of how to boost them... IDK anything? PICSSSSS

Comment

• There's pictures on the first page?

I only have my phone and they can't capture enough detail

Comment

• Do you the schematic of this design?

Appreciate much if you could share the schematic of the design.

Originally posted by pks485 View Post

DISCLAMER:
                Try this modification at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any personal injury/death, mistakes/long term effects and/or damage to property. Please be cautious, ballasts run at high voltage and can carry risk of death if altered by people. Please refrain from carrying out this modification if you are unaware of the risk involved.

(I have moved some pictures from later posts into this post to try and organize this better)

I have finally supercharged my Bosch AL generation 2 ballasts. Hopefully I can inspire some other people to try this mod instead of paying $400 to others to get a set of 70 watt Denso’s. It is easy as long as you have some basic skills:

1. Soldering
                2. Ability to go to radio shack or other electronics stores
                3. Ability to use simple hand tools
                4. COMMON SENSE (As said by a member in an earlier post there is always an idiot who learns how to kill himself with a nine volt battery. If you are one of those people please don’t try this.)

Step one collect the necessary parts
                1 100k dual ganged potentiometer
                Wire (I used 20 gauge)
                Solder
                Soldering iron
                Flux
                Bosch AL Ballasts
                Hex wrench set

Step 1
                Remove the hex bolts on the ballast circled in red.

Step 2
                Remove the board from the housing as shown in the picture. It is held in with glue/silicone. Pry it out with a small screw driver. It doesn’t take too much force. Make sure you don’t use to much force and damage the ballast.

Step 3
                Locate the resistor number 2612. It is on the underside of the board. Solder two wires as represented in the picture by the black lines to the ends of the resistor. I used 20 gauge wiring.

Step 4
                Wire the other ends of the two 20 gauge wires to a potentiometer. I used a 100k dual ganged potentiometer that I bought from radio shack for around $3. The dual ganged feature allows for 2 ballasts to be controlled by the same potentiometer.

Step 5
                Close the ballast up and test your new supercharged ballast.

(My camera was borrowed by my brother so I had to borrow one image from copiertech)

Some side notes:
                I have tested the ballast in my car for about an hour each time with no ill effects. The bulb does change colors at higher output. I have yet to measure the actual watts because I don’t have an ammeter yet. Hopefully I will have time to get one soon. To give you an idea the brightness is close to initial start up brightness. If you want to test how bright these ballast can get without buying all of these supplies you can. Simply connect a wire from one side of resistor number 2612 to the other side of the same resistor. You will not burn out your ballast. I tested mine many times this way. These ballasts are a lot easier to work with than Denso’s and who wants to pay $400 for a modded set when these can be supercharged by anyone. I have tested up to a 12 foot wire between the pot and the resistor with no dimming in output (ran out of wire).

Please don’t jack up the prices on these ballasts. This is a hobby. Let’s try and not spoil it for everyone.

Use this information at your own risk. I take no responsibility for damage to you property or ballasts.

Happy moddding!

New Pictures:

I covered one of my headlights so that the pictures can show how much of a difference just one ballast makes.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

:tonqe:

Some more pictures of the actual modded ballast.

Comment

• Bought an E46 a bit ago with factory HIDs. Then I stumbled across this thread.

I didnt feel like running wires to a switch or potentiometer, so instead I just soldered a 30k ohm resistor straight on. From the research on this board, this should result in something like 50-55w output.

To error on the side of caution though, I have added a heatsink and a cooling fan.

At this point I have only modded the passenger side (with a ZKW-R lens as well). Its not dark here yet so no output shots.

Comment

• Looks good but I don't think that fan is going to last all that long. It really isn't designed to be exposed to the elements. I suspect it will seize or the PCB will corrode within a couple of months.
                    2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

• Normally I would agree with you. But considering how water tight this engine bay is... I have driven through plenty of rainy days and opened the hood before and no wetness anywhere. Not a problem.

Im more concerned with the ambient heat for the fan. If need be, Ill get a different fan, this one was more to just get it on there.

Why would the PCB corrode? Not shown in pictures is a dab of epoxy over the screw holes in the case. I didn't break the water seal of the ballast...

Also, I was going to take out put shots last night, but then I decided there was no point. The bulbs in the car are obviously old (Philips), with the passenger side already shifting colors noticeably. Hooked up to the ballast, the bulb is a bit brighter, but has color shifted a lot, So new bulbs on order.
                      Last edited by Laecaon; August 28th, 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• He mebt the pcb of the fan not the balast. You could open it up, epoxy them in a way it does not obstruct the fan.
                        You could get a fan of some Server machine which is much more powerfull and use such

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm attempting to boost my bosch ballasts but I can't seem to detach the board from the cover. Judging from the pics in this thread, it seems to be bonded to the cover at 2 spots? For those that have done it, how did you detach it from the cover without breaking it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by imports_only1 View Post
                            I'm attempting to boost my bosch ballasts but I can't seem to detach the board from the cover. Judging from the pics in this thread, it seems to be bonded to the cover at 2 spots? For those that have done it, how did you detach it from the cover without breaking it? Thanks in advance.
                            Yes....the board is bonded to the cover in a couple of spots. It's bee a few years since I did mine so my memory is a bit hazy, but for mine I just pried a little bit with a plastic pry tool and the board came loose from the adhesive. But make sure that you have removed all of the screws first. Also, keep in mind that that adhesive is there to help thermally conduct the heat from the board to the casing for heat dissipation, so when you're all done make sure to replace that adhesive with something like thermal epoxy...good luck!
                            Alvin Caragay
                            '89 BMW 325iX (now for sale )
                            '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica
                            '09 BMW 328i (on lease for the wifey)
                            My OEM E46 Bosch Bi-xenon Retrofit(with mods) into "Euro" ZKW's

Comment

• To those running these with multiple boost settings and a rotary switch, what switch are you using? (part number or example please)
                              I found another set of these ballasts and I'd like to put them in my wife's JK Wrangler to replace the mismatched Hella/Morimoto ballasts that are currently in it.
                              Anthony
                              2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback
                              2008 Wrangler Unlimited FX-R Retrofit
                              2011 Fiesta Retrofit Number 2

Comment

• Whatever one you like the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X