Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Supercharge a Bosch Ballast-Updated Output Pictures

DISCLAMER:
    Try this modification at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any personal injury/death, mistakes/long term effects and/or damage to property. Please be cautious, ballasts run at high voltage and can carry risk of death if altered by people. Please refrain from carrying out this modification if you are unaware of the risk involved.

(I have moved some pictures from later posts into this post to try and organize this better)

I have finally supercharged my Bosch AL generation 2 ballasts. Hopefully I can inspire some other people to try this mod instead of paying $400 to others to get a set of 70 watt Denso’s. It is easy as long as you have some basic skills:

1. Soldering
    2. Ability to go to radio shack or other electronics stores
    3. Ability to use simple hand tools
    4. COMMON SENSE (As said by a member in an earlier post there is always an idiot who learns how to kill himself with a nine volt battery. If you are one of those people please don’t try this.)

Step one collect the necessary parts
    1 100k dual ganged potentiometer
    Wire (I used 20 gauge)
    Solder
    Soldering iron
    Flux
    Bosch AL Ballasts
    Hex wrench set

Step 1
    Remove the hex bolts on the ballast circled in red.

Step 2
    Remove the board from the housing as shown in the picture. It is held in with glue/silicone. Pry it out with a small screw driver. It doesn’t take too much force. Make sure you don’t use to much force and damage the ballast.

Step 3
    Locate the resistor number 2612. It is on the underside of the board. Solder two wires as represented in the picture by the black lines to the ends of the resistor. I used 20 gauge wiring.

Step 4
    Wire the other ends of the two 20 gauge wires to a potentiometer. I used a 100k dual ganged potentiometer that I bought from radio shack for around $3. The dual ganged feature allows for 2 ballasts to be controlled by the same potentiometer.

Step 5
    Close the ballast up and test your new supercharged ballast.

(My camera was borrowed by my brother so I had to borrow one image from copiertech)

Some side notes:
    I have tested the ballast in my car for about an hour each time with no ill effects. The bulb does change colors at higher output. I have yet to measure the actual watts because I don’t have an ammeter yet. Hopefully I will have time to get one soon. To give you an idea the brightness is close to initial start up brightness. If you want to test how bright these ballast can get without buying all of these supplies you can. Simply connect a wire from one side of resistor number 2612 to the other side of the same resistor. You will not burn out your ballast. I tested mine many times this way. These ballasts are a lot easier to work with than Denso’s and who wants to pay $400 for a modded set when these can be supercharged by anyone. I have tested up to a 12 foot wire between the pot and the resistor with no dimming in output (ran out of wire).

Please don’t jack up the prices on these ballasts. This is a hobby. Let’s try and not spoil it for everyone.

Use this information at your own risk. I take no responsibility for damage to you property or ballasts.

Happy moddding!

New Pictures:

I covered one of my headlights so that the pictures can show how much of a difference just one ballast makes.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

:tonqe:

Some more pictures of the actual modded ballast.

|Rx330 AFS W/Clear Lens|Maxima Fogs W/Removed Shields For High Beams|Blazer Fogs|

Supercharge a Bosch Ballast in 5 Easy Steps

Very useful information.
    More longterm testing and actual output readings would be great.
    So what youre doing esentially is bypassing the resistor?
    And why use a pot if you can just jump the circuit? What would the pot do that a jumper wire cant?

Comment

Correct Hidplanet, I am using a variable resistor to increase output. Hopefully others can use this information and help me with testing.

|Rx330 AFS W/Clear Lens|Maxima Fogs W/Removed Shields For High Beams|Blazer Fogs|

Comment

Good work man, and thank you for sharing such great information with everyone else on the board instead of trying to keep it for personal profit, very respectable. How long would you figure it took you to complete this experiment from start to finish, i.e. from when you first decided you were going to try this until you successfully modded your first ballast? We will let it hang out around here for a while so everyone can see it then move it right to the University, great job! =D>
        Every man dies, not every man truly lives

Comment

One of the questions I have, for safety is how much current and voltage are you controlling using the pot? Is it voltage before its stepped up? Because you dont want high current/voltage running thru the pot.

Comment

It took me about two days to figure out what I was doing. In the begging I was so scared that I would fry my ballast. I also shocked myself once. It made me jump back pretty quickly. There is actually another resistor on the opposite side of the board that has the same effect. This one was the closest to the side of the ballast so I picked this one instead.

Comment

So your leaving the resistor there and just adding the pot? Id love to try this.

Comment

Well it looks like I sold my AL ballasts dirt cheap to the right man! At least you have two more ballasts on the way in case you fry one!

Great job but no heat sink needed here???
                My Feedback thread: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11552

Comment

That was going to be my next question.
                  Many ballast mods generate far too much heat for operation without heat removal.

Comment

Originally posted by HIDPLANET
                    That was going to be my next question.
                    Many ballast mods generate far too much heat for operation without heat removal.
                    I second that because my supecharged Koito ballasts have huge heat sink...
                    My Feedback thread: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11552

Comment

Originally posted by E46civic
                      So your leaving the resistor there and just adding the pot? Id love to try this.
                      Yes, I am leaving the resistor in.

Originally posted by Racing Gear
                      Well it looks like I sold my AL ballasts dirt cheap to the right man! At least you have two more ballasts on the way in case you fry one!

Great job but no heat sink needed here???
                      Those ballasts will help me out with testing. The ballasts did get hot but I haven't had time yet to add heat sinks. They are next on my list. I actually ran them without the case for half an hour. The case helps heat dissipate from the ballast. So far so good.

This is still in the early stages but so far the results have been positive.

Comment

Id consider a heat sink a small price to pay if its that easy to mod the ballast. It seems way easier than the denso.

Comment

Originally posted by E46civic
                          Id consider a heat sink a small price to pay if its that easy to mod the ballast. It seems way easier than the denso.
                          It is way easier to mod than a denso. Trust me. I just learned how to. The heat sink will come soon

Comment

One of the questions I have, for safety is how much current and voltage are you controlling using the pot? Is it voltage before its stepped up? Because you dont want high current/voltage running thru the pot.
                            To tell you the truth I am honestly not sure. I am using very thin wire. It handles the power just fine. I even touched the bare wire a couple of times by accident and didn't get shock at all. I am guessing (not sure) that high current would have shock me, right? At about 45 k resistance and up from the pot the output is almost stock. When the resistance is turned down the output goes up.

Very useful information.
                            More longterm testing and actual output readings would be great.
                            So what youre doing esentially is bypassing the resistor?
                            And why use a pot if you can just jump the circuit? What would the pot do that a jumper wire cant?
                            A pot can vary output and turn the brightness up and down. You may not always want full wattage.

Comment

Arush, the resistor has to be removed thats why you were getting the flickering.

Im gonna sacrifice one of my units and finish this off LOL...

You just need a pot Resistance that is the same as R1 then thats ur starting point.

refer later comment... for resistance trends

In any case, great idea.

I wanted to attempt this first but ure way ahead of me now. I hated how ppl kept it secret tooo.. Copiertech gave me a lot of ideas. Im a little worried about the heat issue especially in my car where the car itsself warms the headlights LOL... The hella gen 3 is even worse than the e46. For now im just happy knowing how to bring these dead units back to life. Took me like 20 mins to revive an e46 (thanks for the wiring Ken).

I just want to figure out the gen 3 now since a lot of ppl have those HEHE...

I think the ballast donation is the best way to support the supercharge ideas. I have 1 hella gen 3 to play around with now but still looking for more. The denso is just too hard to work with. The e46 and hella willl soon take over ... hopefully.

Arush definitely deserves a thumbs up!!!

Great work,
                              Ciprian || Linuxglobal Headlights: (647) 492-1127
                              Retrofit count: 245 (June 25 2014)
                              Follow me on FaceBook Linuxglobal on YouTube
                              Hidplanet Retrofitters Hidplanet University Buy/Sell Forum Rules My feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X