How To:STi-R clear AND TUNE an RX 350Bix with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To:STi-R clear AND TUNE an RX 350Bix with pics

Dear members, I know this has been covered numerous times and there are different methods. However I couldn't find a comprehensive How To on the forum. So I decided to make one, hoping it helps all who want to use it. I'd like to acknowledge and credit all the gurus and pros here who have added info on this over the years such as mdufficy, paleryder, greenkouki, lightwerks, Matt Andrew and all the people i don't know. This is a compilation of ur knowledge. Here goes:how to clear Lens an RX350 with STi-R by widening the lens holder.
    Take off OEM shroud by bending tabs outward gently and pulling off shroud.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nuvolari; November 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM.

Disassemble projector by evenly unscrewing all 4 screws at the corners of the mounting plate. You will be left with a rear bowl, a middle shield mechanism and forward lens cradle with lens.
    Attached Files

Comment

Bend the 5 tabs on the lens holder out with a flat head screwdriver to release the lens and retaining ring.
      Attached Files

Comment

image.jpgPull out lens retaining ring then Pull out lens from the rear of holder.
        Attached Files

Comment

Use gloves, eye protection and a dremel with a cylinder grinder
          Attached Files

Comment

Secure the lens holder, and using the dremel make continuous fast paced circles inside the lens holder. I did this all in all about 60 times, constantly checking to see if the STI-R lens was seated flat or not. If it's not flat, one side will raise up when u push on the opposite side with ur finger
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Nuvolari; June 19th, 2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
              Once the hole is wide enough and u think the lens is flat push on one side to see if the other side rises easily. It should not! It should be flat. If not flat, widen the opening some more
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Nuvolari; June 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

There should be no gap between the clear lens and the holder. Pic 1 shows a gap, so grind some more until the lens sits flush like pic 2
                Attached Files

Comment

Make sure the lens sits flat in the holder, replace the ring firmly behind lens, bend the 5 tabs back over the ring to secure the lens. Make sure that the lens remains flat throughout this process
                  Attached Files

Comment

Now it's time to mod the shield. Right below the cutoff there is a small RV(?) shield. U will need to trim this to get maximum crispness in the cutoff right at the step. Very carefully cut off that little RV step right in front of the main step. Cut at the pencil line in the pic using a flat dremel disc. Be very Very VERY careful NOT to damage the main cutoff shield!
                    End result should look like pic 3
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Nuvolari; June 23rd, 2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

image.jpg
                      Next, grind out the little dimple at the bulb opening so u can seat a D2S bulb flat, and have proper placement of the hotspot. U can also use a small razor/knife to shave it down until it's flat. Please be very careful. End result should look like pic 3.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Nuvolari; June 23rd, 2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpg
                        Next it's time to reassemble the projector. Here u can tune the projector to ur liking to give more/less color by adding washers to all 4 legs or bottom 2 legs, between the bowl and shield. I left out washers because I was very happy with the color and sharpness I got with just the clear lens. Tighten all screws slowly and evenly.
                        Last edited by Nuvolari; June 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Install ur D2S bulbs, seat them properly flat, and hook up ur ballasts. I use CBIs and Mori 35w, from TRS of course.

Once projector is reassembled, put the bulb in and fire up the projector. ROTATE THE LENS in the lens cradle and you will notice the beam change. Do this to fine tune your cutoff between color flair and sharp cutoff.

If the lens doesn't rotate, Un-bend the little lens holder legs slightly until the lens literally spins in the cradle.
                          GOOD LUCK, hope tis helped.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Nuvolari; January 8th, 2015, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Awesome write up! And those bricks are awesome they never failed me when I got them

Comment

And ur basically done. There are some who play with the legs in the shield, I didn't because I was happy with the output, color and sharpness. Here are some shots, I prefer purple(vs Aqua) in my cutoff and not too thick color, so that's how I tuned these.
                              NOTE: camera made the cutoff a bit fuzzy, it's sharper in real life
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X