Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Green
    replied
    More photos would be helpful for me as well. Good writeup, appreciate the time and info!

Leave a comment:

• deepblonde
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpejohn View Post
    Hi,

I also did this on my 03 E39. Its an easy job.
    Have some pics i can upload if you want.

Does your highbeam light up very high compared to the lowbeam cutoff line? Mine light up the treetops when highbeam is on..
    Tried to space the bulb a bit, this helped but not enough though.. (Im now talking about bixenon highbeam)

Fredrik
    That would be good if you could upload some pics Fredrik, the more info and details for newbies like me, the better!

Leave a comment:

• Alpejohn
    replied
    Hi,

I also did this on my 03 E39. Its an easy job.
    Have some pics i can upload if you want.

Does your highbeam light up very high compared to the lowbeam cutoff line? Mine light up the treetops when highbeam is on..
    Tried to space the bulb a bit, this helped but not enough though.. (Im now talking about bixenon highbeam)

Fredrik

Leave a comment:

• fmzip
    replied
    Thanks,

Here another tip, after you install your new adjusters and install the projector, make sure the projector can be adjusted down fully before sealing them up in the oven and installing them back in the car.

I found out the hard way after I installed them and could get the beam to rise very much at all. What I found was that during reassembly, the projector needs to find it's way behind the round metal clip that is arrowed in this picture. If the projector sits in front of it, it's travel is limited by a good 1/2" which translates into a foot or more when adjusting the lights. You can see if you have this set up correctly by looking in through the back of the headlight housing of the bixenon projector. If the projector housing is in front of this metal ring while viewing from behind, loosen/tighten your adjusters till it finds it's way behind the ring. Visualize the red circle being the projector housing and make certain it sits behind that ring, not in front of it.

http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/...0headlight.jpg

And here is how you cut the OEM Xenon boot. Once you install the plug to your bulb, slide the boot around the headlight housing then around the edge of the metal connector

http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/...W/boot%201.JPG

Last edited by fmzip; March 21st, 2016, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ricky bobby
    replied
    Nice job, I can't wait to get EvoX-R's in my E53 lights!

Leave a comment:

• BMW E39 Hella OEM Halogen Headlight Retrofit: Hella EVO-x Projectors

I thought this would be helpful for anyone looking for an easy upgrade for halogen headlights or factory Xenon. My car is a 2001 530 so the headlights can be opened. The Hella EVO-x is a drop in replacement for any E39. No modifications are necessary!

As the threads for a complete DIY are fragmented, I thought it would be helpful to summarize here I what I found throw my searches:

1) Watch this video, it pertains to a DEPO headlight but the concept for disassembly is the same:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA__8B9fFRM

2) Review this blog, (item 13 pertains to halgoen headlights too except ours shaft piece does not come out. However the ball piece that sits inside the headlights is the same. The photos in item 13 are important to review, see where the ball hooks onto to the lower white plastic holder, this will save you hours of struggling to get the projector out):

http://blog.bavauto.com/1835/bmw-e39...ace-adjusters/

A note, on halogen headlight cars, the piece in the photo above is for the auto level headlight adjustment on Xenon cars. However the same type of piece on our halogen headlights does not come out. Halogen cars do have the same type of ball that holds in the bottom of the projector. You will be able to see it once the Headlight lense is off:

Our looks like this (with the note of "what is the purpose of this post"):

Don't try to remove this piece, you will break it. It looks simple enough to unscrew with your fingers but it won't. Ask me how I know Don't try to remove it, trust me on this! It's as fragile as the headlight adjustors!

The ball referenced in the self adjustor photos above is identical to what sits inside the halogen headlight. The ball sits on the end of this rod inside the headlight. It's important to understand this as the the projector assembly is hooked on to it (along with the two adjusters).

The projector assembly needs to slide to your left if in order for it to detach itself from the ball on halogen cars. It can be a PITA for it to slide off but it does. One of mine came off easy the other was hung up on the Angel Eye cabling inside the headlight. You can see it if you use a flashlight and look behind the projector assembly. (On Xenon cars, you simply remove the screws on the self adjuster and the then slide the self adjustor to your right as referenced in the thread above)

3) Now's a good time to replace your lens covers if you are interested. You can get the Euro clear headlight lenses them from Umnitza or Scmeidmann

4) Order yourself some new headlight adjusters as they are likely broken or they will break when you take the headlight assemblies apart

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270905718262

5) Order yourself 2 new BMW Xenon boots for your new low beams, BMW PN 63126904047. Your Halogen boots wll not work. The boot will slide over the base of your new bulb in order to seal the headlight from the elements. (Thanks Stuck for the advice)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=63&fg=05

As far as all the other parts, here is what I ordered through Andrew at the www.theretrofitsource.com

1x Bi-xenon: Hella EvoX-R:

1x D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System
    Wire Harness: Canbus: 9006
    Ballasts: 35w: Morimoto 3Five
    Bulb Spec: 35w: Osram D2S CBI

1x High Beam Splitters: Model: 9006 male to 9006/9006 Female (this is not listed on their website)

The canbus cable plugs into your low beam connector and then plugs into the ballast. The high beam splitter plugs into you existing high beam and the new connector provided with the Bixenon projector. I mounted the passenger side ballast to the lower headlight mounting screw closet to the turn signal. The drivers side, to the lower headlight mounting screw closet to the radiator

Hope this gives some clarity in one concise thread for someone else to follow.......

Quick Iphone shot, BiXenon mode!

http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/...gh%20beams.JPG
    Last edited by fmzip; March 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM.
Working...
X