Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FX35/FXR into s14 240sx (Zenki) housings. Simple reflector -> projector retrofit, L bracket technique.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX35/FXR into s14 240sx (Zenki) housings. Simple reflector -> projector retrofit, L bracket technique.

*Please note I'm still working on this retrofit, and will update the original post as I go along*

This IMO is the simplest and best performing retrofit you can do in the zenki s14 headlamps.

We're going to be going from this:

To this:

Parts: You will need Bixenon FX-R or FX35 projectors, d2s bulbs, d2s ballasts, TRS H4 bixenon relay harness, E46R- extended shrouds (pictured are actually mini gatlings), circuit sports clear lenses. I recommend purchasing retrofit parts from www.theretrofitsource.com And yes the headlamps pictured are damaged units. they are photo props only

to start, you will need to disassemble the headlamps. The lenses remove via clips and heat activated sealant. You will need to use a heat gun or an oven at ~250* for a few minutes to soften the sealant so you can pry the lenses off carefully. Once that's done you will end up with this:

You will then need to remove the reflector from the housing and the low beam bulb shield held on by two screws from the front. To do this, loosen the 3 adjustment screws in the rear of the housing all the way.

The next step is to very carefully draw guide lines on the top and bottom of your reflector. This is very important in order to have proper alignment in the housing and with the high beam reflector. Make the guidelines based on the OEM bulb holder. They need to be 100% perpendicular and parallel in order to ensure proper alignment using the mounting method outlined below. your horizontal cut lines need to correspond to eachother from the top and bottom of the reflector so the up and down alignment is correct. Measure the distance from the back of the bulb holder to the cut line. I measured 1 3/4" from the back of the bulb holder using a piece of 90* angle aluminum scrap pressed against the back of the bulb holder. Look at the two horizontal lines closest to the bulb hole- the furthest one is measured to the 1 3/4", the closer one is just a little bit less to offset the thickness of the mounting brackets we will later use on the botom of the reflector.

Next you need to trim off the rear of the reflector using these 1 3/4" cut lines. Basically cut a clean "slice" off the back.

Additionally you will need to trim the excess from the two flanges that held the bulb shield on, and cut out a small notch on the bottom of the reflector to accomodate the high beam solenoid on the projector.

do a test fit to check clearances.

Next you need to grab the projectors themselves. Drill two small holes at corresponding spots on the bottom of the projector and attach L brackets using nuts bolts and washers.

Do another test fit with the two L brackets mounted on the bottom of the projector. Mark where you need to drill the reflector for the L bracket hardware. Drill your two mounting holes. It's very important that these L brackets are mounted perfectly level and even with eachother, because this will be your only rotational adjustment.

After your holes are drilled, you need to do a final cleaning of the chrome reflectors. run them under the sink and very gently rub dish soap over the surface with your fingers to remove dust. Use lots of soap to prevent scratching. Rinse the reflectors and dry using an air compressor.

Next, bolt the projectors to the bottom of the reflector.

Flip the assembly back over so you're looking at the top of the projector where it meets the reflector. We need to do something here to anchor the projector to the reflector. The L brackets themselves create very sturdy mounting, but let's anchor it at the top of the reflector as well.

To do this, run a generous bead of JB Weld along the seam. If you did not use nylon locking hardware, also add a bit of jbweld to the L bracket bolts to ensure they will not loosen.

Next, grab your shrouds. You need to trim them to fit. To do this, I use a bandsaw and run it along the guard. If you do not have access to this, a mounted belt sander, or some careful dremeling will do.

Next, secure the shrouds to the reflector and/or projector using an epoxy. Again, JB Weld works well, but you have to be careful because the reflector is chrome and it can show up. If you don't have steady hands use a clear epoxy. If you want, you can use some mirror acrylic backing between the E46R extended shroud and projector. It still looks great without it, and since I'm gearing this how to for first time retrofitters we will omit it. Shrouds mounted:

Last edited by greenkouki; November 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

You make this look sooo easy. Really great work here and the shrouds match so perfectly in there! Can't wait to see it finished, might convince a friend to let me retro their s14. Subbed

Comment

very clean looking

Comment

subbed for updates

Comment

nice job man. those look excellent. waiting to see out put.

Comment

Wouldn't JB Welding the top of the projector to the reflector prevent any adjustment after it's cured?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, this retains the factory adjustment.
              Initial aiming to match the factory output is necessary before JB weld though.

Comment

Factory adjustment can account for up/down and left/right but not rotational...even a single degree off will show. Matching the beam pattern to the original halogen still may not get it 100%...

Comment

The bottom of the reflector is completely flat which really helps as a way to getting the rotation right. I matched the height of the L-brackets perfectly so the rotation will be spot on when bolted to this bottom reflector surface. I've done it this way with 2 other s14 retrofits and it's basically fail proof, rotation comes out perfect. I have since finished this retrofit and will update the thread soon.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

So is this an actual FX35 or an FX-R?

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

It's an actual FX

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
                        It's an actual FX
                        Oh ok. The title was misleading as it says FX35/FXR. You either have the FX-35 or the FX-R. lol

RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Was that the regular E46 shroud or the extended version?
                          [07 Subaru WRX TR] TSX Projectors w/ color mod, Osram CBI, Matsushita Gen IV, OEM Subaru Matte Black painted headlights

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Lezner View Post
                            Oh ok. The title was misleading as it says FX35/FXR. You either have the FX-35 or the FX-R. lol
                            Honestly there isn't much difference between the two (at least 1.1 and oem FX). I've done two zenki retrofits with FX-R and I approach it and mount the projectors the exact same way.

Originally posted by My07GDA View Post
                            Was that the regular E46 shroud or the extended version?
                            This is the regular. I used extended on a previous retrofit and wanted to try the regulars. Having used both I would recommend the extended for a zenki retro.

I keep forgetting to update this thread- I'm out of town but will do it once I return home.

Comment

Looking fantastic. Excited to see the finished retro!

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Working...
                              X