Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying Mini Morimoto H1's for Halogen (Gen 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Mini Morimoto H1's for Halogen (Gen 1)

Someone requested this, so I thought I would make the how to for everyone. This is using a Gen 1 MH1 to be a halogen DRL and high beam. I have now had this in my car for about 10 months using a Sylvania 55w H1 Halogen bulb with no issue!

UPDATE (5/13/11) - I removed the projectors from the retro after around 1 year of use and took pics. Bowls are unaffected.
    Last edited by LFSoccer2k6; May 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM.
    Feedback Thread
    Ford Fog Light Projectors
    Ford Fusion Fog Projector D2S Modificaiton
    Mini H1 Halogen Modification
    D2S Bulb Comparisons

haha, should we combine both how-to into one?
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ogen-High-Beam

BTW, does anyone interested to get a pair? I got one pair modded for a customer but then later he backed out, and it just sitting in garage collecting dust now......
    Last edited by StupidPig; February 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM.
    Look at my HID / Lighting works at Stupidpig HID | Facebook

Comment

Damn dude, I couldn't find that thread, haha.
      Feedback Thread
      D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

I updated the OP with a pic of the bowls after around 1 year of use (very last pic).
        Feedback Thread
        D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

How often, and how long for were these used?

Comment

Would it be possible to retain the low/high beam function and still use a halogen bulb?
            I mean, is the shield removal essential to prevent heat buildup?

Comment

I think it was just to make the beam pattern more suitable for DRL use

Comment

Yes, but I think it also uncovers the bowl as a side effect, and helps the heat escape better.

Comment

Where did you get the cable from? I'm trying to mod the mini h1 5.0 to h1 halogens.... got the bulbs in and can work a clamp up.. but other than straight soldering the one lead to the bulb base I'm not sure where to get the parts to do this.. Ideally I'd like to order this...
                  h1-lampenhalter-pbt-pei.jpg

Comment

I got the adapter from advane auto parts then cutom mad the adapter from there.
                    Feedback Thread
                    D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

This sounds interesting but why the h*** would you want to do this? Would it be for someone who can't afford an HID kit or something? lol
                      RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

This is to have a halogen High beam/DRL projector.

Comment

Originally posted by followingnfront View Post
                          This is to have a halogen High beam/DRL projector.
                          Oh ok, I would still be skeptical about the overall effort involved when a Bi-Xenon projector would be sufficient.
                          RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

If you have the projector in the high beam location, even a bi-xenon projector won't help you out for DRLs, or for high beams unless you have them running as quads all the time.

With a halogen bulb you get instant on, and also you can run it at w/e brightness.
                            * Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelin Man View Post
                              If you have the projector in the high beam location, even a bi-xenon projector won't help you out for DRLs, or for high beams unless you have them running as quads all the time.

With a halogen bulb you get instant on, and also you can run it at w/e brightness.
                              I grasp what the point is but DRL's are intended as a safety feature for others to see you, not as an extra set of headlights lol. That's why I would consider a project like this not worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X