This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Wire a bi-xenon projector to run with a halogen high beam

If you want to run a bi-xenon projector on a car with a dual-bulb setup that has a dedicated halogen low beam and a dedicated halogen high beam - there is no fully "plug n play" bi-xenon harness option. You will need a typical low beam relay harness and a few other bits to get the bi-xenon high beam from the projector operating in unison with the factory halogen high beam.

The necessary bits are included with any order from TRS where the projector is a bi-xenon and the harness spec'd is a "low beam + high beams taps" model

Note: this will only work if your low beam stays on when you turn on your high beam. In most cases it does.

Step one: plug the included solenoid pigtails into the ends of your bi-xenon projectors

IMG_3897.jpg

Step two: Run the wiring over to the halogen high beam side of your headlight and use the crimp on wire taps to splice the red (positive) wire in with the positive wire that powers the halogen high beam bulb.

IMG_3895.jpg

Step three: Use the crimp on wire tap to splice the ground in with the halogen high beam bulb's ground.

IMG_3910.jpg

Done! Now your bi-xenon projector's high beam will operate at the same time as the halogen high beam bulb to provide extra illumination in high beam mode.

i'm building my first retro with FX projectors. i'm planning to hook up the highbeam function as you stated, but my high beams are used as my DRLs (live in Canada). so if i hook up the high beams on the projectors, will that also serve as DRLs?

Comment

It would not, but the high beam solenoid would be active so the projector would be in high beam mode all day pretty much. When you turn your low beams on, the DRL will turn off, and the headlights will work between low/high as normal though.

Lexus GS350 F Sport : Skipper Designs Front Lip : Rotiform BLQ Concave : Michelin PSS : Brembo GT 380mm : RSR Suspension : GS350/STi-R Bi-xenon
      * For any inquiries please e-mail TRSMatt@TheRetrofitSource.com, PM's = not a good way to reach me*

Comment

I wish HIDs could be used as DRL without screwing up the HID.
        Feedback Thread
        Ford Fog Light Projectors
        Ford Fusion Fog Projector D2S Modificaiton
        Mini H1 Halogen Modification
        D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Originally posted by TRSMatt View Post
          It would not, but the high beam solenoid would be active so the projector would be in high beam mode all day pretty much. When you turn your low beams on, the DRL will turn off, and the headlights will work between low/high as normal though.

Originally posted by LFSoccer2k6 View Post
          I wish HIDs could be used as DRL without screwing up the HID.
          now my question is, would it be ok to run it like that? what happens to the bulb and/or ballast?

Comment

i am pretty sure you would murder the bulb...thats if the bulb can do it.
            Feedback Thread
            D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

so in other words, its not advised?

Comment

Originally posted by APMQ View Post
                so in other words, its not advised?
                thats what I have always been told and heard. I modded a MH1 projector for halogen bulb and made a custom 9005 to H1 harness so I could have quads and retain my DRL.
                Feedback Thread
                D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

is it possible to retain the high beam function from my projectors but cancel the DRL from it?

Comment

is it possible to retain the high beam function from my projectors but cancel the DRL from it?
                    I imagine there is a fuse that you can pull for the DRL (I know there is for my car). Check your manual. Most likely there will be some sorta light that will permanently stay lit on the cluster though.
                    Feedback Thread
                    D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

i know about pulling the fuse, but then i lose my DRLs altogether. was just curious to know if there was a way to keep the highbeams hooked up on the projector but won't run as DRLs as well.

Comment

i know about pulling the fuse, but then i lose my DRLs altogether. was just curious to know if there was a way to keep the highbeams hooked up on the projector but won't run as DRLs as well.
                        Well just pulling the DRL fuse would cause no DRL, but you would still have the high beams. It sounds like you have a car where the low beam, high beam, and DRL are all one bulb?
                        Feedback Thread
                        D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

What configuration is your light? One hi one low and the hi used also for DRL? or one single bulb for everything? Depends on your setup, you may be able to retain the DRL feature while still able to use your high beam with bi-xenon.
                          Look at my HID / Lighting works at Stupidpig HID | Facebook

Comment

one high, one low, and my high is my DRL

Comment

So are you wanting to retain your halogen high beam while using your HID as high beam too?
                              Feedback Thread
                              D2S Bulb Comparisons

Comment

Working...
                              X