Help and suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and suggestions

Hello guys. I need your help to troubleshoot a problem with my hid retrofit lights. Let me explain. I retrofit my h4 headlights with hid projectors I bought from banggood. I use a h4 relay harness that connects to the battery (+/-) and to the drivers side h4 stock plug. All this time I had 2 problems. First one I had a hard time to turn on both of the headlights. Passenger side didn't want to light up first try and usually I give it 3-4 or more tries to make it work. I thought that this was a ballast problem,so I bought new ballasts. The problem still remain. Then I was thinking that it might be a low power issue. I disconnect the passenger side ballast from the hid relay harness and with an adaptor, I connect it to the stock h4 plug of the passenger side (the other small cable that controls the low-high beam is still plugged in to the hid relay harness and not to the adaptor). That solve the problem and both of the lights fire up together every time! But today I come across with a new issue. When I use my high beams,neither for a long time or when a car came towards me , the passenger light goes complete off... I know that it's a cheap retrofit as everything together cost me 80 bucks,but any suggestions or ideas are welcome
    Last edited by JDMheart; December 27th, 2020, 10:55 PM.

Your new H4 harness might have a sticky relay. Or maybe the leads powering the passenger's side coming off the relay are pinched or poorly connected. You said the rest of the kit worked fine without the harness so that points to something in line with the harness.
    Now please don't take this as an advice towards bypassing your harness. Using one is a good way to keep your stock electricals intact.
    An easy test is to try swapping ballasts from each side to the other, keeping everything else the same. Since the problems were only on the passenger's side, if after swapping the problem goes to driver's side and driver's side only, then it's the ballast or the ballast connector.
    If the problem stays at the passenger's side then next step is to try swapping bulbs the same way.
    If it stays on the passenger's side after swapping ballasts and bulbs (and any separable components like igniters, canbus error cancellers and inline resistors) then what remains suspect is the harness.
    Last edited by NoodleFace; December 31st, 2020, 09:01 PM.
    2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
    Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
    CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Can you test the ballast + bulb by connecting directly to a 12V power source other than your car battery? You can connect to your car battery if you just do a quick test, but make sure you have a way to disconnect quickly and not let it drain the batter for too long.

Next would be to connect the relay harness but no ballast / bulb, and test using a voltmeter that the relay harness is indeed supplying power when your OE light switch is set to low beam.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Ballast and bulbs work fine. I just plug the passenger side h4 plug to the ballast with a small harness i bought. The hid relay harness use only the drivers side plug to power. The lights work better and i need to change from low to high beams more times to finaly make the passenger bulb go off. I think its due to low power consumption reading from the car. The blue indicator high beam light on the dash dont operate too. I m thinking of buying decoders/capacitors to see if that eliminates the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMheart View Post
          The hid relay harness use only the drivers side plug to power.
          That would be the plug in the harness connected to the signal on the relay. It is used to only activate (switch) the relay, so less power draw than if it was connected directly to a H4 halogen bulb like normal. The real power delivered to the HID ballast comes from the battery and passes through the HID harness and relay directly.

What's your car's model and does it have Canbus?
          Just FYI my car's high beam indicator on the dash went out as well. I never ran anything not stock before my harness was installed, so probably just a bad LED. Just saying may be unrelated in your case as well.
          2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
          Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
          CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Working...
          X