DOT vs ECE for UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT vs ECE for UK

I currently have factory standard BiXenon projectors in my Mondeo mk4 2009. The reflectors are shot and finding somewhere to refurbish them is proving a big problem in the UK.

I was looking at a set of Aharon projectors from Retrofitlab but notice they are only available in DOT standard. I can find no information if DOT is legal in the UK - and i can't find out if my current lights are actually ECE or DOT!

The cutoff shield is curved and looking at the beam it seems to be DOT but I can't find confirmation - and it seems quite strange for a UK car to be DOT? as I understand, DOT is american standard and ECE is Euro - is that right?

Can anyone offer any advice and also good sources of replacement projectors for Mk4 Mondeo in the UK?

Thanks!

These are shields from a Halogen projector:

UK pattern:

EU pattern:

To my knowledge, the UK pattern is similar to the EU but mirrored left to right, so DOT and ECE will not be ok.

Comment

I saw your other thread where satrya proposed checking your reflector bowls first. Did you already take the headlight apart to take a look or are you going by the assumption they're already kaput??
      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
      Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
      CAD designed adapter plate

Comment

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

NoodleFace - yes I checked the bowls and they are in need of re-chroming....was trying to attach an image of this but can't attach images it seems!

I took a photo of the beam pattern just now, and it looks like my lights are DOT pattern from what I understand? AdrianD thanks for the photos, but I know that there are LHD and RHD cutoff shield types, but my understanding is that ECE allows for a much higher non-traffic beam whereas DOT is flat on both traffic and non-traffic?

Comment

Last edited by mightyi; November 8th, 2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

For images. Host to imgur - use their desktop website - choose the uploaded image and click the three dots - get shareable links - BBCode - copy and paste here
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
            Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
            CAD designed adapter plate

Comment

Beam Pattern

Reflector Condition

Comment

Working...
              X