DOT vs ECE for UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT vs ECE for UK

I currently have factory standard BiXenon projectors in my Mondeo mk4 2009. The reflectors are shot and finding somewhere to refurbish them is proving a big problem in the UK.

I was looking at a set of Aharon projectors from Retrofitlab but notice they are only available in DOT standard. I can find no information if DOT is legal in the UK - and i can't find out if my current lights are actually ECE or DOT!

The cutoff shield is curved and looking at the beam it seems to be DOT but I can't find confirmation - and it seems quite strange for a UK car to be DOT? as I understand, DOT is american standard and ECE is Euro - is that right?

Can anyone offer any advice and also good sources of replacement projectors for Mk4 Mondeo in the UK?

Thanks!

These are shields from a Halogen projector:

UK pattern:

EU pattern:

To my knowledge, the UK pattern is similar to the EU but mirrored left to right, so DOT and ECE will not be ok.

Comment

I saw your other thread where satrya proposed checking your reflector bowls first. Did you already take the headlight apart to take a look or are you going by the assumption they're already kaput??
      2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
      Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
      CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

NoodleFace - yes I checked the bowls and they are in need of re-chroming....was trying to attach an image of this but can't attach images it seems!

I took a photo of the beam pattern just now, and it looks like my lights are DOT pattern from what I understand? AdrianD thanks for the photos, but I know that there are LHD and RHD cutoff shield types, but my understanding is that ECE allows for a much higher non-traffic beam whereas DOT is flat on both traffic and non-traffic?

Comment

Last edited by mightyi; November 8th, 2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

For images. Host to imgur - use their desktop website - choose the uploaded image and click the three dots - get shareable links - BBCode - copy and paste here
            2006 Grand Vitara 3dr
            Projector swap: MH1 7.0, XB35, XB 4500K, custom wiring
            CAD designed adapter plate, manual leveling motors

How to use Imgur to embed photos

Comment

Beam Pattern

Reflector Condition

Comment

Wouldn't worry about DOT Vs ECE, as I am sure technically the Chinese projectors don't meet ECE standards and won't have been tested. Your housing will still have confirmity markings, so just fit whichever you prefer. Your current cutoff looks like ECE.

Have you checked the headlight housing, sure they normally have Dot or ECE marking/stickers.
                Last edited by Ianbuckwell; December 4th, 2020, 02:03 AM.
                Previous - Golf III VR6 Highline - currently AP1 S2000 retro in InPro R32 look lights, 4 stage Adjustable Boosted Bosch ballasts 35W-68W
                Current - E46 M3 CS with factory xenons, all stock.

Comment

Working...
                X