Mini d2s in a 9007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini d2s in a 9007

Okay so Iíve searched and searched and I know itís been done but I cannot find any helpful pictures or how-toís. I have a complete setup from TRS using Morimoto mini D2S, HID kit, demon eyes, halos, Apollo 3.0 shrouds. This is all going in my 2003 Dodge Neon and the bulb hole is way to small to fit a D2S so I started cutting the hole larger but then realized the projector doesnít sit back far enough into the reflector. I found the Custom Bracket and Design site and ordered his brackets to help me along the way. My issue is I cannot figure out the correct way to mount the custom brackets and projectors to the reflector housings. Does anyone have a picture of how to mount these? I know this has been done on a Dodge Neon before but I couldnít find any helpful pictures.

I have the projector mounted to the bracket now I just need to mount the reflector housing. Should I just drill a hole through the reflector in the factory mounting points since they line up with the bracket?
    Image 15-DCE2-CA-FC79-44-E0-AA8-F-41900-D3-F6-D1-C in Ryan's images album

Comment

Since you already have the functional portion taken care of, that is having the biXenon mounted and ready to align, there is no real reason to return the OE reflector in its original location other than aesthetics. If what you want is to have the appearance of the OE reflector then yes, you can do that. Trim it to mount on the bracket. At this point, you can consider making a custom shroud.

Another thing to sort out is the 9007 harness. On my daily driver (retrofit links in my signature below), the OE low/high beams are also 9007. The 9007 harness is actually shared with 9004, because the bulb sockets are identical. This means that the pin assignment of the input connector of the wiring harness is not guaranteed to be correct for every 9007 & 9004. You may need to test to make sure your OE light switch works properly with the harness. In my case, the low and high beam switches trigger the wrong response before re-pinning the connector.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Yeah I bought the correct harness from TRS for my application but I think I understand what you are saying and had the same issue with my Dakota where I had to swap the pins in the connector. I canít remember the exact issue but I want to say the ground wire was swapped on mine so it wouldnít even light up until I changed the pins around to the correct order.

Comment

I know the nut and bolt method is used to mount to the reflector but I have to sit my projector back so far I have to drill holes in the back of the actual headlight housing and feed the bolts through there. Is that acceptable and what is a good way to seal the holes once the bolts and nuts are tight?

Comment

Yes, there is the nut & long bolt method, but since your posted images suggest that you already have a bracket that mounts to the OE reflector's mounting point, I wouldn't replace this method with the nut & long bolt directly through the back of the housing (instead of on the reflector).

If you do anyway, adding a dab of liquid thread sealant between the threads of the nut & bolt near the opening and some glue on the outside nut between the nut and washer, and between the washer and back of the housing should be sufficient to seal the 3 openings.

Back to the option of using the bracket as you posted vs nut & long bolt through the back of the housing; you will still need to decide whether or not you want to place the OE reflector around the projector again, solely for aesthetics. Alternatively, make a DIY shroud that covers the larger area.
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
            X