How To: Remove / Clean Butyl Glue From Lenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Remove / Clean Butyl Glue From Lenses

Credits and special acknowledgements to my lovely wife for this amazing discovery: COOKING OIL!

I was re-sealing my headlights last night using copious amounts of butyl glue which, upon heating up and squeezing the lens on, it oozed out and inadvertently got all over my gloves. Before I knew it, I had smeared it all over the lens.

After about 15 minutes of serious elbow power using isopropyl alcohol, my wife felt sorry for me, went and got a kitchen paper towel, soaked it with a little cooking oil, and almost effortlessly cleaned the butyl off at the other end of the headlight lens. I was flabberghasted at how well it worked! Easy to clean up with the alcohol afterwards.

Just had to pass this one along...

Cooking oil huh? Thanks for the tip! Would have never guessed.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Which oil though?

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
        Which oil though?
        In my particular case, we used Wesson Pure Canola Oil but my wife says that any cooking oil will do just as well.

Comment

How come your wife knows more than us? Women... how do they do it?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EuroDriver View Post

In my particular case, we used Wesson Pure Canola Oil but my wife says that any cooking oil will do just as well.
            Thanks. This information can be very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
              How come your wife knows more than us? Women... how do they do it?
              Whoever figures it out will likely become a multimillionaire - and a very happy man!

Comment

It is probably a carry-over from using oil to remove the price stickers from plates/cups. Butter works well for that too. Had a small disassembly issue and got a few small strings of butyl on the clear face. Instead of attacking it, I just left it. Will fix that shortly...
                cheers,
                Douglas

Comment

Working...
                X