How to: ditch those Morimoto mini d2s 4.0 springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: ditch those Morimoto mini d2s 4.0 springs

The following images are self explanatory if you are planning to replace those awkward springs especially during bulb replacement.
    please feel free to add some ideas if you deemed it would be necessary.

you can replace the springs with spacers as shown below.
    Photo credits to :EvilutionIX

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

I want this. So bad

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmm who makes this and how can we purchase changing bulbs right now is really a pain in the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe some kind of rubber washer in there so there's some squish to hold them in there if there's some kind of variation in thickness or heating/cooling expansion/contraction. I'm using the rubber spacers from the 1.0 D2S and the 1.0 D2S bulb holders too, works great! Honestly just some nitrile rubber O-rings with the right thickness would probably work, but a simple O-ring channel in the thing would do the trick to give a little squish for better holding, something to tighten against.
        2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
        1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Did not know you were a member here
          *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

I made a set at work, made mine 5mm thick so that I can sand them down and use a little bit of silicone gasket to give them some squish. I'll report back after some tests with and without the silicone gasket.

Comment

Please keep us posted. Would definitely buy some.

Comment

Will do, haven't had a chance to mess with them. 12hr days at work and kids and a wife at home. So far from test fits bulb is solid with these. When I put the spring back in there is a little bit of wiggle if you grab the base, not much, but enough.

Comment

Thanks denber for posting this up.

was having probs with photobucket at the time
                  donating member

Comment

I have an old retrofit on my Accord. The bulbs are held in place with clips and there is quite a bit of wiggle.

Comment

probably some automotive rubber O-ring would be perfect fit?

Comment

My retrofit is on hold atm so I haven't done anything else with the spacers. I don't think you will really need them to be honest, just don't crank down on the holder nut.

Comment

Just spoke to a pro installer for my retrofit. He would most likely pick these up if they were made available.

Comment

Originally posted by HK45
                            Did not know you were a member here
                            If this is directed at me, then yes been here for quite some time now. hahaha. Had some post and inquiry around 4yrs back i guess when I was doing my 1st DIY retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat3833
                              My retrofit is on hold atm so I haven't done anything else with the spacers. I don't think you will really need them to be honest, just don't crank down on the holder nut.

you would want this spacers if you want a smooth installation or during bulb reolacemnts. The springs are messing with how you seat the bulb everytime. Not to mention the end of the spring sometimes sticks out between the bulb cap and bulbs base.

Comment

Working...
                              X