X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any shimming ideas ?

Comment

Shim upward. Place a piece of a cereal box at 6 o'clock spot of the bulb.

Comment

Permed the clear lens mod on my G37 projectors, but feel as though the hotspots are off?

Last edited by Intake; October 28th, 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

It's hard to tell in that photo because the projectors are facing right into the ground. Is that how they are aimed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
            It's hard to tell in that photo because the projectors are facing right into the ground. Is that how they are aimed?
            No, my driveway is sloped so they're facing the ground there.

Heres another picture, hopefully this one is better:

Comment

Originally posted by Pklemm View Post
              Shim upward. Place a piece of a cereal box at 6 o'clock spot of the bulb.

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
              The placement of the material depends on the direction the hotspot needs to go. So if it needs to go up, the shim is placed at 12 o'clock. if the hotspot needs to go down, you place the shim at 6 o'clock. And so on
              i think HK45 is right

i did shimming on 12 o'clock but other areas got worst.

i think the problem is the bulb itself as it is not High Quality ( Cn-Light) because other side is very OK

Comment

Originally posted by Mostafa United

i think HK45 is right

i did shimming on 12 o'clock but other areas got worst.

i think the problem is the bulb itself as it is not High Quality ( Cn-Light) because other side is very OK
                Oh shoot yeah I don't know what I was saying. Must have had my clock upside down lol

Comment

hey guys need some advice on the shimming... LS430 using D2S philips 85122 and Morimoto XB HID

where is the hotspot on the left side?

and hows the right side

Comment

Rotation is off also

Comment

Originally posted by icqboy51
                      hey guys need some advice on the shimming... LS430 using D2S philips 85122 and Morimoto XB HID

where is the hotspot on the left side?

and hows the right side

What you're going to need to do is undo the bulb for the bulb holder and move the bulb up and down just slightly to see where the best spot is for the hotspot. If you could get a shot of each side with the other side covered that would be best. I want to see what's going on with each side. Maybe stand in front of each side and snap a shot?

Comment

probably noob question... will incorrect rotation affect hotspot? if so will get the rotation fixed first then do the shimming... thanks!!

Comment

No, the rotation of the projector won't affect the hotspot. Do the shimming first. Shimming can sometimes affect the cutoff straightness too.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

got the pics of each side by itself and video of adjusting the bulb

left side 1st morimoto xb 6000k 2nd philips 85122

right side

video
                            1st is left side
                            2nd is right side

https://goo.gl/photos/wgkcVrUiKwiHFPrs6

Comment

Originally posted by icqboy51 View Post
                              got the pics of each side by itself and video of adjusting the bulb

left side 1st morimoto xb 6000k 2nd philips 85122

right side

video
                              1st is left side
                              2nd is right side

https://goo.gl/photos/wgkcVrUiKwiHFPrs6
                              You can tell the Philips has proper alaignment, but you can also see the rotation is slightly off on your right projector
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Finally got around to reading this thread - My car has H7 based halogen projectors, and I know for a fact they need to be shimmed. I know that alot of times halogen based projectors don't handle HIDs well, but I've played with bulb alignment and the output wasn't so bad.... The problem I am facing is is tuning it right. I really don't have any walls outside (I live in an apartment complex with ALOT of trees) and at the moment don't have a power supply to do it in the house.

I am thinking about going with morimoto bulbs, because they atleast have a form of quality control and alignment... so it would be a little easier to shim than the crappy innovited bulbs I have now.

It's been my experience that an improperly shimmed / aligned bulbs affects width, distance and foreground... So thanks very much for the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X