This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Thanks!

But I was confused at one part, when you said aim them straight relative the car, did you mean that the step is directly in front of the projector?

Thanks again,
    David

Comment

i meant have them aimed straight ahead.... because you dont want your beams towards one side... they can both run together...

A top view would be like this
      | |
      L R

Not

/ /
      L R

It may not be that visible but you know what i mean.
      Ciprian || Linuxglobal Headlights: (647) 492-1127
      Retrofit count: 245 (June 25 2014)
      Follow me on FaceBook Linuxglobal on YouTube
      Hidplanet Retrofitters Hidplanet University Buy/Sell Forum Rules My feedback

Comment

Sorry for such a noob question. Trying to finish up my first retro, but have a question on aiming. The first picture in this thread makes little sense to me. Which one of these would be correct? This would be as if you were looking straight at the wall.

Thanks

Comment

i use C for all of my retros.... but most ppl suggest B...

B just looks odd to me on the road.... thanks for the awesome diagram tho.... great detail....

Comment

Originally posted by StL-I30
            Sorry for such a noob question. Trying to finish up my first retro, but have a question on aiming. The first picture in this thread makes little sense to me. Which one of these would be correct? This would be as if you were looking straight at the wall.

Thanks

C is what you want

Comment

Not sure if this question was brought up before. I understand that C is the best way to aim. Does the height of your projector in your car have to match the height of the car it came from to produce the same output?

For example. If I was to use X5 projectors in a really dropped civic. The projector would be about 1.5ft lower than it was in the X5. Would I have to use a slightly higher aiming? Maybe 1/2" drop at 25ft. away? If I were to use the 2.5" drop, would I see better results than a stock X5 or lose intensity and distance of the beam?

http://members.cardomain.com/maxecutive

Comment

For reference for anyone needing to know...

Comment

ECE and E-code are synonymous terms.

I also came across this guide for headlight aiming:

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf
                  2004 Mazda6 Sport GT-I4
                  2004 TSX D2S Projectors
                  Philips 81522 4100K Capsules
                  Bosch Litronic Gen 2 Ballasts

Comment

ok, here's a question I'd like to ask before I start planning how i'm gonna mount the projectors in my housings: is there any way to mount them so that once they're all sealed up, i can still rotationally align the beams? like, if they aren't perfectly level, like off by a few millimeters but enough to be an eyesore to the regular OCD patient?
                    I recall seeing brackets used, but if I use brackets, do I only have those two mounting points at the bottom or could I put a pivot stationary mounting point at the top?

Comment

Originally posted by bshanahan14rulz
                      ok, here's a question I'd like to ask before I start planning how i'm gonna mount the projectors in my housings: is there any way to mount them so that once they're all sealed up, i can still rotationally align the beams? like, if they aren't perfectly level, like off by a few millimeters but enough to be an eyesore to the regular OCD patient?
                      I recall seeing brackets used, but if I use brackets, do I only have those two mounting points at the bottom or could I put a pivot stationary mounting point at the top?
                      this is a good quesiton my passenger side projector is not perfectly strainght and i dont see how i can make it striaght without removing it and drilling new mounting holes. maybe i can wedge a shim under the projector in the housing. hmmm if i do that then i think i will lose ability to aim them with the aimng screws, it will just be wedged in there. anyone have any tips and how to make the projector straight with out removing it from the housing?. i only have three adjustments screw and i lost the stock adjustment screw(i had to cut it out to make the tl fit in there)and i cant make it straight.

Comment

this is just a guide on how to aim lights .... it applies to stock or close to stock setups that are perfectly aligned rotationally speaking.

About the other question, its a machined alloy setup which is what my retro customers get in their headlights to achieve perfect rotational adjustment since i dont have the car.

However it has to be machined and is never the same for every housing. JNC has a simpler idea that seems to work but its not as easy to use, however u can build it at home.

Comment

so for ece, as a general rule put the lower cutoff 3 inch below the projector height at 25 feet?

Comment

AIMING

i found another method thats cheaper than buying a laser level. find a cynder block wall..cynder blocks are layed out in straight lines. i have one by me at a pathmark he he.. any how i just measured the red line height then transfred that to the block wall and blam straight line.scrapped my tape measure on the block line that meet my red line measurement and just aimed the projectors to that hieght. i love the tl/ zkw setup its awesome just blows aftermarkets hids out of the water.

Comment

ya well the laser level thing is like 7$ sometimes on sale LOL.. its ok when u do one car but when u aim multiple retros it gets painful finding walls everywhere with lines on them LOL....

Good suggestion tho, i too love my tl-zkw cutoff and how sharp it is when im up against a wall. I wonder if other drivers are like WTF??? LOL

Comment

Great thread - thanks for all the info.

One thing...at 25 feet, I measured the height of the center of my projector from the ground - it's about 27". So the left side of my cut-off should be at 25" correct? However, when I did this and drove around, my HIDs seemed to be pretty high and when I was driving behind cars, the cut-off was almost near people's side mirrors. I lowered the cut-off to about 19" and now when I'm behind a car, it hovers around the licence plate area. Is this too low? Unless I measured wrong, we're talking about a 8" difference between the centre of my projector and the actual cut-off at 25 feet.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X