MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

(Repost) I'm more active over on the MK3 side but it's time that I start working on my 2004 ZTS. It's been through quite a lot living in Colorado, Vermont, back to Texas, to Chattanooga Tenn and now Florida. The exterior is in okay shape for 2004 model. The interior will be worked on the most when the time is right. So I've decided to start with the headlights as I just received my replacement set. And there's no way they're staying halogen!

I'll be posting multiple headlight builds here after this initial post as I do enjoy retrofitting as a hobby. If anyone is interested in getting a new pair of headlights feel free to ask.

The projectors and hid kit are expected to be here Monday. Right now I'm opening the headlights and painting the trim black.

See how dirty they are! New headlight on the right

I can't decide if I want to stick with my first plan and use the Apollo 2.0 shroud instead of the Mini Gatling. Opinions? Large or small shroud? I'm going to be painting the Apollo like the Mini Gatling above if I choose that route.

Comment

While larger shroud probably looks better, having the edges touch the OE reflector could mean that the beam alignment will be affected. For example, if the shroud-and-OE-reflector interference is such that the projector has a negative pitch (i.e. pointing down), and the OE adjuster can't go up enough to compensate, you'll have to trim the shroud. This means precise trimming both to the same amount if you want to retain the impression of a seamless contact between the shroud and OE reflector.

But at least you're forced to use the biXenon function instead of a separate high beam. That means once you resolve the HID alignment, the high beam alignment is guaranteed.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

I'm definitely going to have to trim if I use the Apollo. Pretty sure Santa is bringing me a new dremel set tomorrow... I didn't think about the adjusting up and down and it interfering. But the adjusting portion of the headlight (the area I left chrome) shouldn't interfere with any other parts. I can basically eye it out where the projector is going to sit, where it's going to be pointed and how far ahead.

So I just need to take off maybe 10mm from the top and bottom. The sides have enough room. I'm not going to know for sure until the projectors get here.
        Last edited by cableguy; December 24th, 2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having to trim the shrouds. Larger shroud will definitely look better.
          *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Bigger shrouds. Rotate them 45 degrees too. IMO looks way better.
            2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

I've never had to trim a shroud and the more I look and think about it the more it confuses me how this thing is going to fit.

When I get the projector in it's going to be sitting closer to the bottom of the reflector. In most cases do you cut out an equal amount around the shroud until it fits? Or cut out in a horizontal line parallel to the reflector? Because Trimming the back of the shroud isn't going to make a difference until I get to where it starts to curve.

Comment

If you don't want to just dive in and cut, make a paper mache of the shroud first. Experiment cutting the paper mache shroud to see what what works best. Once you got it, then just transfer that design over to the real shroud.

Comment

MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
                  If you don't want to just dive in and cut, make a paper mache of the shroud first. Experiment cutting the paper mache shroud to see what what works best. Once you got it, then just transfer that design over to the real shroud.
                  Lmao that's thoughtful but I'd rather just dive in. Shouldn't be a huge task, it's just confusing me without the projector. I will definitely post the finished results next week. Thanks for the input.. You're quick to respond every time I start a thread.

Comment

Haha, these guys were helpful when I first started out, so I'm here to return the favor. Plus I'm stuck in a car 8 hours a day working so it passes the time :-)

Just make small cuts, test fit, and repeat. Good luck!

Comment

+1 on paper mache. That's what I use to prototype where to cut. It looks like it is a lot of work, but you'll be glad when you do, because when you make a mistake cutting too much of the material (e.g. shroud) , the result can be a much longer ordeal.
                      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

No paper mache needed! Cut out an even amount around the shroud..probably about 1.25 inch..and then flattened off the bottom.

Comment

There you go! ;-)

Comment

MK1 Ford Focus retrofit

Very plain but it's definitely an upgrade! I think we'll be able to see at night now.

Last edited by cableguy; December 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Very clean!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X