Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Complete] 2008 Jeep WK: Tuned Murano LED Low/Cadenza Halogen High

For Completed Photos see post #342

This will at least motivate me to get started acquiring pieces.

First Car retro!!
    (Can't be any harder than trying to fit G37's into a motorcycle headlight)

Here's the latest picture of the Jeep. I have a few projects planned for it and they're all in the works. I have a 2" lift sitting in my garage now, so hopefully one weekend soon I'll put that on with some new tires.

THE PLAN!!

Buy the following:
    - HID Headlights (I'm leaning toward the OEM Chrome but could be swayed. Maybe price will play a factor in it.)

OEM Style (chrome)

or
    Aftermarket Black style

The projector in these headlights are Valeo D1S low beam. The headlights do not come with any ballasts. I'm told the opening in the shrouds is 2-3/8".

- 2015 Murano LED projector

Will need to buy from TRS. Comes with the drivers.

- Clear Lens (Unsure)

Still debating a clear lens swap on the projectors too. Maybe I'll need to buy the projectors and look at them without clears and decide if it looks do-able. The options I found through research were to use:
    TSXR for sharpness
    Black Series for color

- LED Halo (Unsure)

Behind the shroud would look good. Could potentially look demon eye-sh. I'd need to size it though. I have a spare switch on my switch panel I could use to provide power. I'd think RGB would be the way to go.

MORE OF THE PLAN/Questions!!

Now I know I'll need to trim the projector to some extent. I pulled these next few pictures from another thread, they are of the back of the OEM shroud. I think it looks like there is plenty of room. Enough so that I'm willing to try. Anyone else agree or disagree with me??

Here is a picture of the stock mounting bracket for the D1S (FXR is in the image):

Tips and tricks always welcome.
    Last edited by 2003_sv650s; August 4th, 2016, 02:45 PM.
    --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
    ---
    2013 Speed Triple ---
    --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

Cool! I have an 08 Overland with the factory projectors. Mine's lifted 3" on 32s and SRT wheels.

As I've been learning while working on the project with my 300 (which started as a simple clear corner and DRL project), I've been thinking about what I can do to improve the lights on the Jeep. I'll definitely be following this thread.

Comment

Just an opinion: go with chrome. The rest of the vehicle is light in color with no obvious and extensive blacked out accents so might as well compliment it.

Tapatalktalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Originally posted by ileopard View Post
        Just an opinion: go with chrome. The rest of the vehicle is light in color with no obvious and extensive blacked out accents so might as well compliment it.
        That's the direction I was leaning. That way the headlights still look stock.
        The replacement brand set is $262.22 + S/H. Since they aren't a OEM company I'd be willing to bet they're not permaseal.
        http://www.discountbodyparts.com/det...00109-PLK.html

Member "Brownmutthid" did a Elantra retro here using the '15 Murano projectors:
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...o-LED-retrofit
        It looks like he shaved off a lot of the heatsink. Looking at this picture makes me hopeful it would fit behind the Jeeps shroud because there isn't really anything that makes it too wide till you get further back on the heatsink. Still unsure how much you can trim away before heat becomes a problem.

** Also surprised HK hasn't jumped into the thread yet lol maybe I need to post in one of his! **
        ---
        2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

How deep is the Murano projector? It looks pretty big inside the Elantra housing. The depth is a concern to me because I have a Valeo D1S that I'm guessing is pretty similar (if not identical) to the WK one (it's from a 300m) and it's not very deep. The bulb on the WK protrudes from the back of the housing and only has 1"-2" of clearance to the air filter. It's open behind the other side, but something wider than the current bulb would possibly hit the battery tray. There's also a piece of plastic inside the housing that goes right up to the bowl, so that would likely be in your way too.

Comment

If you have to shave any of the heat sink, please do us a huge favor. Get an IR temp gun and measure the temp of the projector before and after you start hacking off heat sinks. The guns are like $100 at Home Depot, but just return it after you collect the data.

And yes I am that guy. If I only have a one time use for a tool, I'll return that shiet after I use it. 90 return policy no-questions-asked FTW!!! lol
            *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by HK45 View Post
              If you have to shave any of the heat sink, please do us a huge favor. Get an IR temp gun and measure the temp of the projector before and after you start hacking off heat sinks.
              I'll be doing this in the nearish future.
              2013 Grand Caravan. LS460s + RX350s.

Comment

Awesome! More data the better!
                *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 00r/t View Post
                  How deep is the Murano projector? It looks pretty big inside the Elantra housing. The depth is a concern to me because I have a Valeo D1S that I'm guessing is pretty similar (if not identical) to the WK one (it's from a 300m) and it's not very deep. The bulb on the WK protrudes from the back of the housing and only has 1"-2" of clearance to the air filter. It's open behind the other side, but something wider than the current bulb would possibly hit the battery tray. There's also a piece of plastic inside the housing that goes right up to the bowl, so that would likely be in your way too.
                  I really need to pop the Hood and investigate the amount of room. I found this in another thread, it's the valeo d1s bixenon but from what I hear they're about the same size.

Valeo Bi-Xenon D1S:
                  Diameter = 82.55mm
                  Height = 96.00mm
                  Width = 106.20mm
                  Solenoid(sticks out by) = 9.40mm
                  Solenoid Length(from mounting holes) = 69.05
                  Length = 156.20mm
                  Length(seat of the lens to mounting holes) = 49.45mm
                  Length(mounting holes to end of bulb w/D2S) = 84.25mm
                  Width(between top mounting holes) = 72.20mm
                  Width(between bottom mounting holes) = 70.95mm
                  Height(between mounting holes) = 78.20mm

Originally posted by The retrofit source
                  '15 murano projector dimensions
                  Dimensions are: 155mm deep, 85mm tall, 79mm wide when trimmed. Untrimmed: 155mm deep, 90mm tall, 102mm wide.
                  Sent from outerspace via tapatalk
                  ---
                  2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Im on my phone so its tough to see but they seem comparable in size. I need to subscribe to my own thread so I get alerts!

And yes lowfat!! Please do this!

---
                    2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

I just measured the D1S projector I have here and came up with around 155mm from the front of the lens to the back of the bulb, so that all checks out. If you'd like, I can measure the diameter of the opening in the back of the housing to give you an idea of how much of the heatsink you can fit.

Comment

If you'd like, I can measure the diameter of the opening in the back of the housing to give you an idea of how much of the heatsink you can fit.
                        Definitely. I think that it really isn't going to stick out of the housing very far. It may not at all actually which would be better lol. Get some pictures of the space behind there too if you don't mind.
                        Thanks man!

---
                        2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

I tried to get some pics but there isn't a ton of room. I measured the opening in the back of the housing the best I could, and it looks like it's about 5" across. It's really quite large, especially considering how small the rear of the projector is.

Driver side:

Passenger:

The back of the light is very close to the airbox on the passenger side. Yours may or may not be the same depending on which engine you have. Mine is the 5.7 Hemi.

I also grabbed an output shot of the stock lights while I was out doing my car.

Comment

I tried to get some pics but there isn't a ton of room. I measured the opening in the back of the housing the best I could, and it looks like it's about 5" across. It's really quite large, especially considering how small the rear of the projector is.

The back of the light is very close to the airbox on the passenger side. Yours may or may not be the same depending on which engine you have. Mine is the 5.7 Hemi.
                            That is quite a large cap. I really don't imagine any size issues or fitment problems since the depth is near identical.

I have the 3.7 v6. Ill try to get pictures tomorrow of spacing but it'll be with the halogens in there.

---
                            2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Stolen pictures from this thread:
                              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ector-Retrofit

Posting for my own reference.

I'm leaning more and more toward a clear lens swap because this will be going on my main vehicle. Shall I go with the TSXR or Black series? I'm undecided if I want to go for sharpness or color.

2.5" lens should work

Looks like the lens holder is held on by a few screws like usual
                              ---
                              2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Working...
                              X