[Complete] 2003 sv650s w/ G37 sedans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Complete] 2003 sv650s w/ G37 sedans

Finally decided to tackle my first retrofit! I'll be putting g37 sedan (3") projectors into my sv650s. I bought an extra headlight from my sv forum, just incase I mess up or I need something to test on. I will be using xb35 ballasts and xb bulbs at 4500k. The shrouds are b-stock bullet from closeout although I'm yet to find anything b-stock about them.

The plan as of right now today is to paint the stock reflectors black and the shrouds will be either chrome or silver. This can and probably will change.

Here are some pictures of my pride and joy. I've done a complete retrofit of the front and rear suspension as well as a ton of other mods.

The projectors and shrouds:

Stock headlight low beam:

Stock headlight high beam:

Extra headlight pulled apart. Baked at 200f for 10min:

Front end disassembled:

Test station lol:

G37 stock low beams:

Reflector #1 trimming:

Shrouds will need some trimming eventually:

More to come in the following weeks!!!!! I promise!!! Please leave any veteran tips you have for mounting. I also broke one of the tabs for the bulb holder <sad face>

Sent from outerspace via tapatalk
    --- 2008 WK - Headlight Retrofit - Foglight Retrofit ---
    ---
    2013 Speed Triple ---
    --- 2003 SV650s - Retrofit ---

And so it begins!
    *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Ah Yes it does! Picked up some 3" bolts and some nuts/washers for probable mounting method. We shall see. Hoping the broken bulb clip doesn't effect anything too bad. Bulb barely wiggles but might be worse on the bike.

I need to get rid of that secondary shield though. I'm not looking for output that is super sharp or anything. Just wanted something better than what I've got.

---
      2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

My advice would be to cut the secondary shield nub with a cutting disc. IMO trying to bend it down you run the risk of tweaking the primary shield and then you are wasting time trying to get it back to stock.

Comment

Sorry no real update today. Been dealing with some house problems.

Ordering these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...l#.VZPK-_lVhHw
          Need longer pigtails and these come with the 9006 on them. Perfect!!

This weekend I am planning to work on this a bit.
          - Cut off the secondary shields
          - Play with spacing of the lens
          - Tune highbeam
          - Dremel 2nd reflector
          - Drill bolt holes in reflectors
          - Figure out how I'm going to put them on the bike and aim
          - Paint reflectors

Question time!!!
          - Anyone have any opinions on the color choice I'm going with?
          [space] I think black reflector with color matched silver shrouds will look sick.
          - I broke one of the tabs that holds the bulb clip in. Will that negatively effect anything? The bulb still is seated fine and doesn't wiggle too much but should I be concerned?
          [space] I'm hoping that it won't really cause any problems. I guess I could Macgyver something together if it [space] doesn't work right.

Also since this spare headlight has 2 broken tabs and a deep scratch on the lens I may take apart my original headlight and just put these reflectors in it. Maybe retro the broken housing when this is all done with something simple like a mini and sell. OR!! try my hand at something fun from the closeout section? Still might sell it b/c I'd like to recoup some cha-ching.
          ---
          2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

You can plastic weld the bulb tab back on or make one if you lost the tab.
            It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
            2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

I had retrofitted projectors on my V-Strom 650, and regretted it. All is well and good when you're going straight, but the sharp cutoff is rubbish as soon as you lean into a curve. Works fine for a car since a car stays relatively level, but a bike's lean means you see nothing coming up in the curve due to the cutoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwayne View Post
                I had retrofitted projectors on my V-Strom 650, and regretted it. All is well and good when you're going straight, but the sharp cutoff is rubbish as soon as you lean into a curve. Works fine for a car since a car stays relatively level, but a bike's lean means you see nothing coming up in the curve due to the cutoff.
                Do you have any photos? You had Mini D2s though right? I went with the stock fresnel lense to soften the cut off a little. Hopefully it isn't too bad. I've been toying around with adding some additional lights to point off to the side.

I also have something planned that I want to try out on these projectors. Hopefully it works. I'll post pictures after I try it this weekend.
                Last edited by 2003_sv650s; July 2nd, 2015, 10:55 AM.
                ---
                2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Two words: custom shield. Look at my sig. I see EVERYTHING lol

Comment

I was just about to mention HK45 and his awesome upwards bowing

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Plus I know companies like BMW have low mounted auxiliary led lights that are great for lighting up in front of you during leaning. Im sure the aftermarket has variations of those.

Comment

I was working on a project a few years ago for a school project that would've gyroscopically corrected the projector beam pattern for motorcycle turning/leaning, but since it was a school project nothing came of it.

I do know that BMW has a system that will correct for lean and turn using a reflector based LED system.
                        It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
                        2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Off work today. Eating lunch now so here's some progress photos.

Output with secondary shield removed. Ordered highbeam pigtails from TRS then I'll test the highbeams. Spacers added.

One side practically done as far as testing goes. Mounting was level from what I can tell first try.

---
                          2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Gonna look like a whole new bike when you get done

Comment

Think I might just leave the shrouds chrome. The driving lights have a chrome shroud around them so we'll keep it consistent. What's the best way to attach the shrouds???? Just a dab of jb weld I'm assuming. Also I used bolts to mount the projectors. I should probably jb those as well??

---
                              2013 Speed Triple ---

Comment

Working...
                              X