Retrofit: 1995 Audi A6 C4 - G37 Sedan bixenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit: 1995 Audi A6 C4 - G37 Sedan bixenon

This is a retrofit I did for a member on Detailers Club Norway recently in February/March 2015.

Hardware:

• TYC replica headlights for Audi A6/S6 C4 1994-1997
    • Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs
    • F3 Fast Bright 35W ballasts
    • M̶o̶r̶i̶m̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶F̶X̶-̶R̶ ̶3̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶"̶ ̶b̶i̶x̶e̶n̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ D̶e̶p̶o̶ ̶X̶5̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶"̶ ̶b̶i̶x̶e̶n̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ G37 Sedan 3" bixenon projectors
    • AMP<->D2S adapters

This was supposed to be a relatively straight-forward and easy retrofit, but as usual very little went according to plan. I had a hope of just swapping the halogen projectors with bixenon projectors, close them up and ship them back, but that didn't happen...

Started out with opening the driver's side headlight. I expected these to be sealed with butyl, as the seal was rubbery and soft, so at least it wasn't permaseal. They were closed with four clips and a reusable gasket. Since I erroneously assumed they were butyl sealed and the headlight lens was made of glass, I thought I'd try to open them with brute force and without heat first. My experience is that glass doesn't like being heated up then poked and pried at with a sharp screwdriver.. splinters, shards and lots of blood on the wrong side of my skin usually is the result. Anyway, as the lens wasn't glued shut and the lights were new, it came off rather effortlessly. As I assumed butyl I put a lot of effort into it and nearly fell off my chair...

Here it is opened, rubber gasket and glass neatly separated without damage:

After some messing around I got the outer trim off and undid the innards via the adjusters at the rear of the housing:

Halogen projector output - not too impressive. Granted, it's low beam only, but the entire hotspot is visible below and to the right of the elbow, indicating that the bulb seat or the optics isn't fully up to scratch. The bulb used is a standard Philips H1 bulbs bought at a gas station ages ago. An interesting thing about these projectors is that the shield is adjustable from completely flat to insane wide angle like in the picture, likely to accommodate different countries' legislation, as well as not blinding people if going to a left hend traffic country (like the UK).

Halogen projector out, and a size comparison with the FX-R going in.

Top:

Rear:

Front, back to back:

Front, belly to belly;

Front, side by side:

Immediately a problem revealed itself... The solenoid butted against the fog light projector immediately below it:

Missing about 6mm to get things in place. Dang.

When in doubt, remove everything!

Output, FX-R; low beam:

High beam:

The front opening for the low beam spot had to be enlarged slightly; fog light lurking in the background...

Grindgrindgrind

And about done... some minor adjustments were necessary later on, but as a starting point this was decent.

I've grown to love brackets, as they make everything so much easier to deal with than epoxy. If you mess it up, you make a new bracket and start again. Additionally, they offer more possibilities for correcting pitch, yaw and rotation than if everything is permanently stuck in place with epoxy.

Cut a piece of cardboard up to make a bracket and stuck it onto the original screw posts:

The fog light, worrying about its future existence...

More bracketry...

Split the projector and tried to figure out if this was at all possible to pull off... the lower edge of the bracket is the lowest point possible for either the bracket or the projector to sit at. All room below that is occupied by the fog light.

Of course the top bolt holes didn't line up either... I could have enlarged the bracked slightly for them to line up, but then it would have come in contact with the inside ceiling of the housing.

After a lot of ifs, buts, cursing, hair-pulling, purchase of a pair of smaller fog lights, I had to realize that there wasn't physically room for the projector at all unless I redesign the entire low beam/fog light area of the bezel. This would've been a hell of a job to pull off and even worse to make it look good.

Since I had a pair of Depo X5 bixenon projectors lying around, and these were a lot smaller than the FX-Rs, I tried using these instead.

Low beam:

High beam:

Cut out a new cardboard bracket, bolted it between the two halves of the projector and started trimming it to fit:

Transferred the drawing to metal...

The day after I went back out to try to make things fit together. It turned out that the solenoid of the X5s hung a little too low for anything to fit below them. The new fog lights I'd bought had the same problem, and as the outer shell was the same part as the shiny inside, I could trim at most 1mm to make everything fit, and I needed 4mm - in other words another no-go.

It happened that I had a pair of G37 Sedan bixenon projectors in my drawer. These are quite wide with a decent high beam. Not quite as tall as the Depo X5s, but still a good high beam. They would be used in conjunction with the halogen high beams anyway. As an extra bonus they were flat-bottomed (after the AFS stuff was ground off, anyway), so there was nothing interfering with the fog lights.

These projectors had a 3" lens, which were slightly larger than the 2.5" front openings, but I had a Dremel and enlarged the opening further, measured and made some nice brackets, and suddenly it looked like this:

As I had cut the original screw posts, I had to get creative with too large nuts and lots of washers to align everything just right, but I managed in the end.

And finished headlight!

The passenger side was done in a lot shorter time as I didn't have to mess around with dead ends with different projectors and attempts at being clever.

After the customer got the headlights back, I've received feedback in how good the low beams are, but also that the bixenon functionality doesn't work. Typical, after I double checked that everything worked before I sent them off, just to avoid this kind of situation. I'm currently waiting for him to do a thorough test of the electrics and if he gets them working. If not, I've told him to ship them back so I can fix them at my expense so that he is 100% satisfied.
    Last edited by csjoh; March 26, 2015, 02:39 AM.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Looks great! Some very creative work and determination. Any modifications on the back of the headlight necessary?
    '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
    Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
    '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
    '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
    '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Very very nice work. Ingenuity at it's finest. It's nice when you have a bezel somewhat working with you from the get go.
      2010 Civic Si

Comment

Pretty legit man. Any final output pics?
        2001 Dodge Ram; TRS Mini D2S (X-lens) install
        1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Infiniti G37 install
        1998 BMW 540i (E39); Lexus RX350 install

Comment

Nicely done. Very clean and creative. And I love the fact that you stood behind your work and offered to fix the lights at your expense. That definitely deserves a + rep
          Last edited by Nuvolari; March 25, 2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Nice.

Hooray for cardstock templates.

Are those Bosch H3 foglights?
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by MGMTF View Post
              Looks great! Some very creative work and determination. Any modifications on the back of the headlight necessary?
              Nope, none. I even managed to cram (and I mean cram) an F3 ballast with igniter and D2S adapter in there and still close the rear cap. From the outside it looks completely OEM. Well, unmodified, at least, as the OEM lights have chrome bezels...

Originally posted by JaimeZX View Post
              Pretty legit man. Any final output pics?
              I didn't get to take any as I was a bit stressed on time and the car was far away, but the owner did snap halogen before shots and xenon after shots on an unlit road. I'll grab them and post them up as well.

Originally posted by Nuvolari View Post
              Nicely done. Very clean and creative. And I love the fact that you stood behind your work and offered to fix the lights at your expense. That definitely deserves a + rep
              Since he paid well it's only fair that he's given lights that work properly. I've found an auction on ebay.de for a similar set that I'm trying to win. If I win, I'll just make a second set of lights and ship them to him.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
              Nice.

Hooray for cardstock templates.

Are those Bosch H3 foglights?
              Cardstock templates for the win!

They were H3, but there were no stampings on them except "TOP" to indicate which way was up. The lights were TYC replicas, so I don't think they were Bosch... the OEM lights are made by AL (Automotive Lighting), which is Bosch if I remember correctly.

I didn't have any H3 bulbs available and was thus unable to test the output of them, but the owner said the OEM fogs are crap, and based on that I don't expect the replicas to fare any better.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                Nope, none. I even managed to cram (and I mean cram) an F3 ballast with igniter and D2S adapter in there and still close the rear cap. From the outside it looks completely OEM. Well, unmodified, at least, as the OEM lights have chrome bezels...
                That is awesome
                '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
                Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
                '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
                '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
                '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Yeah, I was really happy about that, since the customer didn't want any external wiring visible. At one point I was contemplating cutting a hole in the bottom and bolt the ballast there and still run all wiring internally, but I didn't know how much clearance there would be on the car and hence scrapped the idea. The inside looks like a bomb went off in a spaghetti factory, though...

My retrofits

Comment

Nice work, that high beam reflector is humongous!!!!

Comment

Yeah, it literally screams for a big bixenon projector in there, doesn't it? The whole headlight screams quad bix, but the customer wanted something that looked as OEM as possible.

My retrofits

Comment

While a big projector would be cool, I'm also one to appreciate the OEM look. The reflector suits the car, while the new G37 projector does a great job lighting the road. Excellent retrofit!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Thanks

I've found the output shots, will upload them tomorrow. Sleepytime here now

My retrofits

Comment

That's going to look sick. I wish I could make custom brackets like that. In for future pics!

Comment

Any output pics?
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X