Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitted: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax "DirtyMax" Good Weather/Bad Weather Quad Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofitted: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax "DirtyMax" Good Weather/Bad Weather Quad Retro

By far the most challenging retrofit I have done thus far. The bowls on these headlights are tiny and the headlights are extremely shallow, the rear of the bowl is the rear of the housing so the total distance from the headlight lens to the rear of the housing is around 5-6 inches. To compound the issue these was a thick steel support for the radiator directly behind the headlights and it needed to ground down ....a lot to fit the projectors.

I could have maybe squeezed in some MH1s without seating them so far back into the housing but I have seen this done on a few other builds and it looks pretty tacky, the projector lens can sit a few millimeters from the headlight lens. I wanted to get the projectors and shourds as flush as possible into then bowls, my buddy prefered the look of the X-lens D2S which is why we went through the trouble of mounting them and their added size relative to the MH1s.

My buddy lives up in Tahoe and works as Northstar and usually (not these past 2 winters) is confronted with driving in very poor conditions, typically snow and lots of it. With his input we decided to do a quad setup with 1 pair of projectors for "normal" driving and the other will be aimed slightly lower and fitted with 3k bulbs for "bad weather." The 3K bulbs are not installed yet.

His truck is fitted with some Rigid Industries lights. In his fogs he has Dually D2s in "spot" and "driving" there is also a pair of Dually D2s in "flood" for reversing. I have a couple pairs of Duallys in my possession and really wasn't too impressed by them, the Dually D2s really are a huge improvement, especially when you utilize them in a combo like he did for his fogs. His truck has come a long way since it's days with HID bulbs in the low beam and fog bowls, lol.

Build Includes:
    Quad MD2S projectors (1 pair for normal driving and 1 for bad weather, bad weather has it's own switch)
    Morimoto amber xb halos (wired to an auxiliary switch in the cab)
    Morimoto 5five DSP
    DDM Ultra 5500k bulbs
    Gatling Gun Shrouds
    2 HD relays
    A lot of swearing

Happy this retrofit it over,
    Evan

Notice the Rigids by his hitch, those Duallys were replaced with Dually D2s

Stock

Before, Fog DRL

I purchased a pair of Depo headlights as his oem units were a little weathered and I Depo uses butyl instead of permaseal

First things first, amber is OUT!

Components

Long way to go

Hole v1 top, hole v2 bottom, final hole ended up being even larger

Getting there

lol

A lot of shroud trimming as well, the rearward taper of these were tricky to cut as well.

White demon eye painted

I wanted to clean up that white overspray

White internals and black lens holder

Reassembled

White demon eye

Some thin wire was used for mounting the xb LED rings, it was the only way to mount them with this projector and shroud combo.

Wire snipped and tucked. Shrouds were repainted before final install

Showing the rearward-tilt of the halos

Amber halos

Housing reassembled

Projector mounting depth

Such little bowls

Late nights

More grinding, dog trolling.

In the end we ended up taking about x2 as much material out to clear the projectors

Getting there

Working on rotation

So SICK!!

Amber Halos. Signal/DRL bulbs are stock but will be replaced with LED units in the future.

Hard to get a good photo with such a large truck

Buddy was in a time crunch to get back up the mountain so all my photos of the final build are mediocre.

Bloody Hell, D2s pack a punch

Dually D2s

Amber works much better on big trucks IMO

Demon Eyes

I love the way the square MD2S lenses complement the Rigids

Hell yea man! That looks awesome! Even though the truck is so high his cutoff looks like it will be sitting on the roof of a normal truck. Looks good, nice work.

Comment

Still blinding the world
      Originally posted by nine44
      350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Great work. How did you manage to paint the solenoid and the shield? Did you take apart the projectors? If so, how did you do it?

sent from c6903

Comment

So refreshing to see an awesome build on a bad azz truck!
          '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
          Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
          '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
          '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
          '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
            Still blinding the world
            Care to elaborate? The Rigids are used only in high-beam type situations, keep in mind he lives in Tahoe where there are not street lights everywhere.

Originally posted by bogdan_wst View Post
            Great work. How did you manage to paint the solenoid and the shield? Did you take apart the projectors? If so, how did you do it?

sent from c6903
            I removed the lens, filled the bowl with a microfiber towel, and used some painters tape to seal the back of the shield and front of the bowl. I also taped off the solenoid input terminal before painting the front side of the shield and solenoid white.

Comment

Originally posted by MGMTF View Post
              So refreshing to see an awesome build on a bad azz truck!

Totally, his truck is well-sorted with tasteful and functional upgrades. I have a pair of tails I am going to cut open and paint for him, much like I did for mine of my wagon. Given his geographical location and weather he typically experiences, his truck is a great test bed for experimenting with adhesives and sealants.

Evan

Comment

It seems like his cut off is like 5 feet tall. That will still blind no? UnlessIit drops in a distance?

And the fogs also blind really bad with HIDs and raised
                350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
                  It seems like his cut off is like 5 feet tall. That will still blind no? UnlessIit drops in a distance?

And the fogs also blind really bad with HIDs and raised

I set his height adjustment before he left and only if he is right up on someone will his lights blind someone, it comes with the territory of having a lifted truck. This light setup is about as "courteous" as it can be for the height.

Rigids will blind at any height.

Comment

Yeah that'swhat sucks aabout a rraisedtruck. No matter what your going to blind. Looks better tthough! Lol
                    350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

wow much be nice to stand up and be at head light level like that lol

head lights came out perfect! I love amber on trucks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                        wow much be nice to stand up and be at head light level like that lol

head lights came out perfect! I love amber on trucks like this.

Especially when you are 6'8" like myself!

I will be the first to delete amber on any vehicle but I agree that amber LEDs do fit nicely on burlier trucks, it reminds me of clearance lights on semi trucks.

Comment

Great work bro, looks awesome. I like the quad projector set up, are all four projectors on all the time when on low beam?

Comment

Another great retro. Always thought square quads would suite this car well!!!
                            I love the pic of the dog looking at you from under the front axle as you grind the front end. Lol.
                            Probably thinking, "What is this madman doing?" Haha

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmm quads!

Looks good buddy!
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X