Mercedes-Benz E Class 2001 EvoX-R swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes-Benz E Class 2001 EvoX-R swap

A fellow member on Detailers Club Norway approached me with a problem.

His 2001 Mercedes-Benz E class with badly oxydized headlight lenses was in dire need of a lighting upgrade, so he bought a set of Depo projector headlights for his model. These came with E55 H7 halogen projectors, which are rather crap. He has read a bit here on HID Planet and found that the EvoX-R should be a direct swap, and bought a pair of those along with a pair of new XB35 ballasts and bulbs from TRS.

Full of enthusiasm and self-confidence he then attempted to do the retrofit himself, but after getting the lens off and butyl onto everything, getting the halogen projector out and seeing that the EvoX-R wasn't a direct swap at all, he realized he was in way over his head and needed help.

So he contacted me to ask if I could pick it up where he left off. We met, I had a look and decided that this wasn't hard to do. With Christmas rapidly approaching we agreed that the lights would be done sometime out in January.

The starting point:

Butyl on the chrome bezel:

Butyl on the outside of the lens:

Butyl on the high beam shroud

The H7 halogen projector, in pieces:

High beam/mounting plate assembly:

Oh yeah, some butyl inside the high beam reflector, too.

Aligning the EvoX-R to the mount points:

Nope, this ain't gonna fly:

We need a bracket, so... let's just cut off the mounting flange of the old projector:

And cut that into little pieces:

...alt screw them onto the EvoX-R:

I sketched up a bracket just in case the hack didn't work...

It worked!

All of a sudden the headlight was clean and assembled!

It took me four and a half hours with masking tape to get all the butyl off everything... not cool.

Front:

Rear:

Inside:

Ballast placement:

Just after starting work on the second headlight, while hacking up the halogen projector, my knockoff Dremel caught fire during the night:

...so I took it back and bought a Dremel Platinum kit. the only downside to this kit was that it didn't include a table stand, so I had to improvise:

The power difference was massive! The old one could never do this:

No more pictures, unfortunately, but the other headlight was done the same way as the first, sans butyl everywhere.

The customer was extremely happy with my work and has recommended me to others. He noted that the lights flickered and wouldn't start, so he was going to do a warranty exchange on them. In the meantime he's using his F3 Fast Bright ballasts.
    Last edited by csjoh; February 4th, 2015, 06:29 AM.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Xb having problems with the ballast again?
    Originally posted by nine44
    350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Nice retrofit.

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
      We need a bracket, so... let's just cut off the mounting flange of the old projector:
      Interesting approach. I feel sorry for the projector though.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
        Xb having problems with the ballast again?
        Yes, the bulbs were fine when using the Fast Bright ballasts and adapters, so it's either the ballast or the igniter. He should contact TRS and sort it out, but I haven't heard anything from him regarding the cause nor the outcome.
        Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Nice retrofit.

Interesting approach. I feel sorry for the projector though.
        Thanks.

I originally planned to just make a bracket like on the Galant retro, but this was a lot less work and gave me no issues at all regarding position of the projector compared to the original.

The halogen projector's output barely hit my aiming door at 15 feet, so don't feel too bad about it. It just wasn't meant to be...
        Last edited by csjoh; February 4th, 2015, 08:36 AM.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
          I originally planned to just make a bracket like on the Galant retro, but this was a lot less work and gave me no issues at all regarding position of the projector compared to the original.

The halogen projector's output barely hit my aiming door at 15 feet, so don't feel too bad about it. It just wasn't meant to be...
          To be fair, it isn't the first time I've seen this method. I recall a retrofit where someone just took advantage of an existing projector bowl's slightly larger size, and bolted a Mini H1's bowl onto the existing bowl after cutting the back of the existing bowl.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
          X