Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitsubishi Galant Elegance Estate 2001 retrofit (Mini D2S + FEUN high beam)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitsubishi Galant Elegance Estate 2001 retrofit (Mini D2S + FEUN high beam)

This is a retrofit I did for a friend of mine back in August/September.

Hardware:
    - Depo JDM-style one-piece Galant headlights, retrofitted with FEUN projectors, one low beam and one high beam.
    Both projectors were identical, except the high beam had its shield removed.
    - Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 LHD O Lens
    - Iris shrouds
    - Philips 85122 D2S bulbs
    - VVME H7 HID bulbs for FEUN high beams
    - 4x F3 Fast Bright 35W ballasts

This was a relatively straightforward retrofit. Since the headlights were already retrofitted, I knew there would be lots and lots of cutting and grinding. The FEUN projector was shot and light output was nearly nonexistent.

Short backstory: I ordered these lights for the dragonmobile, she didn't like them, so I sold them to a friend. He was happy for a couple months, then came back and complained that the light output was "tragic". We agreed to re-retrofit the lights with something quite a bit better than what was installed, but didn't cost a fortune. The Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 was a perfect candidate for this project.

Despite my friend recently having gone through a nasty breakup with his now ex and was struggling to make ends meet, he still insisted on proper lighting. I decided to be a good friend and do this for him on the cheap. He originally wanted a full bi-xenon quad, but didn't have the funds. After seeing the output shots from the Honda Element retro I did, he decided a bix+high beam quad would be more than sufficient. He ended up paying for just the hardware and materials, and I did the work for free. He's been helping me out a lot with my car as well over the years, so I had no problems with this arrangement.

The starting point, after prying the lens off:

Epoxy is probably expensive in China, because this is some sort of putty I'd use for body panel work...

Comes with strings attached:

The shroud wasn't cut nicely or evenly, and was held on with both wire and the same putty used to secure the projector.

Shroud removed:

The shield... also notice the lack of lensholder support at the bottom - the legs have simply been cut off.

Front view:

...and the reason why he got no light:

Mini D2S firmly in place:

"Low beam" with Mini D2S and the high beam in the back:

Quickwelded:

I finally found a use for the pile of TRS leaflets I've been receiving, too

The high beam projector was in a little worse shape than the low beam. Notice the screw? It was like that when I took the shroud off. My friend also complained that one of the high beams couldn't be adjusted - if you look at the adjuster mount to the rear left, it's no wonder - the whole thing has been destroyed...

Wiggly as hell - there was 1.5cm wiggle from front to back for the lens holder.

The other low beam, with the shield removed. The high beam projectors were interestingly enough still shiny. This was a good thing, since I didn't have any other projectors to fit in there at the time.

Size comparison:

Test fitting the shroud:

Both shrouds hacked up to fit. The low beam one looks miserable, but the top and bottom gaps are hidden by the lens bezel.

Not much left of the shroud:

Both headlights done... almost.

Time for masking tape and paint!

High beams scuffed with a Scotch pad:

...as were the low beams:

...and the shrouds:

...and the bezels:

Ready... set...

GO!

The following pictures are after two dry coats and two medium wet coats of high temp resistant matte black rattle can paint:

One done, without lens:

With lens:

Yeah, the lens is filthy and scratched. I did open them up again to clean the inside of the lens, as there was a lot of dust on the inside.

The other side, and both:

Installed pics:

And some output pics:

Thanks for reading!

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Looks great!

Comment

This car is his temporary beater (for the last few years) - he's got a black Galant Sport sedan as well - while he's been trying to get the Sport back on the road. Now, this car will not pass inspection - it needs two new strut towers, new windshield, new suspension and brakes all around, new brake lines, new frame channel on one side, oil change, new plugs, new gaskets. He also needs to locate and plug an oil leak and find out why the car is using 15L petrol per 100km... So these lights will be moved over to the Sport once that's re-registered and back on the road.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

nice!
        Just doing some things with some stuff....

www.OTSDetail.com

Comment

Thanks

I've finally gotten all the pics together off my camera and phone, so I'll post a few more retrofits tomorrow.

My retrofits

Comment

Wow. So clean. Great job.
            [ 1999 Honda Prelude SH ] [ Hybrid TL projectors with OEM ZKW lenses] [ Adjustable OEM Ballasts ] [ Bi-halogen projectors with HIR bulbs]

Comment

Nice job. Now, about your own retrofit...
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Now that is clean

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  Nice job. Now, about your own retrofit...
                  Got the sprengBoards today and I'm actually about to go fix them up once and for all

My retrofits

Comment

nice job

Comment

I want to see the car itself

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
                      Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
                      Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
                      Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
                      Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

Originally posted by Liber_Jr View Post
                        I want to see the car itself
                        His car or mine?

My retrofits

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                          His car or mine?
                          Lol yours!

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
                          Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
                          Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
                          Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
                          Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

I'll post a thread for my own retrofit shortly, I'll include some pics of the car there as well

My retrofits

Comment

Wow! Beautiful work!
                              *CLICK BELOW ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE*

2014 Nissan Sentra Quads w/ XB Fogs

DSC_9349 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X