Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Generation (2001) Dodge Ram retrofit

Do not expect this thread to move fast. lol

A few months ago I purchased this Dodge Ram, used, with 96K hard miles on it:

Formerly a plow truck in Philly, I'm trying to give it much-needed TLC. I've done U-joints on the rear drive shaft, all the fluids, and am currently wrapping up a head job. Hopefully I'll be done with that this week.

One of the major annoyances I've had with this truck didn't probably bother the previous owners, because snow plows have lights on them anyway - the stock headlights have about had it!
    The lenses are fogged, but that doesn't really matter because the mount on one is broken so it points down about 10' in front of the truck; the other one is, for some reason, very dim.
    I have to drive around with the brights on constantly if it's nighttime, because the low beams are literally useless for driving, and the highs are barely passable on lit streets or in freeway traffic where I can take advantage of others' lighting. (I don't drive this truck at night if I can help it!)

So I dropped $80 on these eBay Chinese things. They showed up today and look decent from the outside:

Kind of cheesy looking, but the little LEDs will get me some of the "DRL" I seek for dawn and dusk. At least it'll make the truck stand out a little bit for bikers and joggers during the dangerous hours.
    ---------------
    I have measured the enclosure; I have about 4 1/3" from where the bulb should screw in to the lens. Knowing that, I should be able to choose a projector.
    Originally I was thinking the Mini H1, but another thread suggests that the Mini D2S may be better. In either case, I will need to come up with a method to support the front of the projector, since I have country property and it can be pretty bumpy driving around in the fields.

Going to have to do a bit of reading about projector dimensions, but I'm open to suggestions!

"Before" output shots to follow in the next few days when I get the engine back together and can find a good wall.
    2001 Dodge Ram; TRS Mini D2S (X-lens) install
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Infiniti G37 install
    1998 BMW 540i (E39); Lexus RX350 install

Can wait for the final results. That truck was barely driven! If you can fit Mini D2s then go for it!!! They are awesome projectors!
    TJ

Comment

Minor update: finally completed the engine top-end rebuild. I was going nuts because I couldn't get it to start. Turns out Crank Position Sensor #3 did the trick. But that's irrelevant to this thread, other than I wasn't about to do anything else to the truck before I had it running again.

Side note: is it insane that I'll be doing this upgrade to the vehicle I use least... first? I'm writing it off as my practice for the BMW.

Anyway...

BEFORE PICS:

OBJECTIVE: identical settings for low and high beams (same as used by JVX in his threads.)

This was *approximately* 25 feet back from that wall. I did not have a tape measure at the time.
      Also, since the above image paints an inaccurate picture of the apparent brightness of the headlights (I drive around with high beams on all the time and never get flashed), I took a "subjective" pic in my neighborhood.

SUBJECTIVE: Cell phone camera on HDR:

This is a lot more how the lights are in real life. And yes, the street lights are hella bright. Maybe not quite as bright as they look in this pic, but super annoying. I am glad I live one street over where we don't have these things.
      Note the offset hot spot on left: the headlight housing bracket is broken, prohibiting proper alignment.

This weekend I'm going to test a few things in the truck and hopefully place my order with TRS next week.

Comment

Shouldn't need any extra support. Just rough up the area of the housing and back of the bowl then fill in with epoxy.
        I didn't use the silicone washers.
        epoxy.jpg

Comment

Yeah, I was going to shoot you a PM to ask you about what you did.

One thing (of many, I suppose) I'm not clear on - how do you fine-tune everything if it's epoxied in? Seems like rotation adjustment would be out at that point, or am I missing something?

Comment

. When you reassemble the reflector into the housing, have the adjusters at mid point. The new lights have the adjusters on the back if you didn't notice. I stuck it in the truck without the lens. Confirmed the adjustment, pulled the unit and tightened the locknut. Check again that nothing moved. I put some putty on the backside so the epoxy wouldn't all leak out.
            I thinned the epoxy a hair and put it in a large syringe. stood the lamp up and carefully injected around the HID bowl.

Comment

Yeah, okay. Makes sense.

Comment

The nasty part of the job is loosening the bumper to let it drop (swing down) for clearance.
                8 bolts
                3 on each side behind the bumper at the front of the frame horn
                1 on each side where the arm attaches to the frame about a foot back.

Comment

Hm. I need to pull the bumper anyway to remove the remnants of the snow plow mount. Guess that's as good an excuse as any.

Comment

Test-fit the eBay housings last night. That took dramatically longer than anticipated since two of the bumper bolts were rusted so badly that I had to use an air chisel to remove them. As expected, the beam pattern is terrible... probably since the bulbs don't seem to seat properly. No big deal if I'm going to put projectors in them.

Comment

TRS order placed!

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III (D2S) $315.00
                      Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 Projectors 2 x D2S 3.0: (X Lens/RHD)
                      HID Ballasts 2 x Morimoto XB35 (35W)
                      Required Igniters for Morimoto Ballasts 2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (D2S)
                      Compatible HID Bulbs 2 x D2S: XB35 4500K
                      Shrouds (Style based on Preference) 2 x PanaSquare
                      Harness (Match stock bulb size) 1 x MotoControl Bixenon: 9007/9004

Bulbs back-ordered until next week some time.

Last edited by JaimeZX; March 25, 2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

You sure you want 4500k bulbs??
                        2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

As opposed to... ? Pretty sure.

Comment

I run the 4500k in my mini stage 3 d2s, very satisfied with the light output / $
                            High Voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeZX View Post
                              As opposed to... ? Pretty sure.
                              Just making sure no one sold you on “4300k” because it’s “OEM”. Do you boo boo. Get what YOU want! (I personally love the 6000-8000k range)
                              2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                              X