3000GT/GTO/Stealth 4x6 Mini H1 6.0 Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3000GT/GTO/Stealth 4x6 Mini H1 6.0 Retro

So I have finally decided to take the plunge on my 4x6 housing retrofit with the smallest projector possible from the most up to date list of choices on the TRS website. With not a whole lot of money to make many mistakes, I was very careful to do lots of measuring, and researching to be absolutely sure I could do this, and at first it started to look like it might not be possible, but I found a way. I had already started on the retro before I remembered to show my progress on here, so right now I only have rather grainy pictures of the build at this time, but I will have much better ones coming soon.

I took my inspiration on how to tackle this from this 7x6 Retro, because I really wanted to keep the process simple by using the projector's originally proposed mounting system, because every person I have seen do a retrofit with my platform has done it where they have about half the projector sticking out the back, and only mere mm of space left over (if any) to allow the up/down function of their pop-up headlights.
    I was surprised how how tightly the Mini Gatling Gun shroud fit with the projector in the housing, and found it actually really helped me in making sure I cut the housing in the right places to keep the projector as straight and true as possible through the process. Fits like a glove top and bottom!
    10702029_848201608544420_2935553883244606770_n.jpg

Which means that when I got a lot closer to getting the projector to fit close to where I wanted it, I decided to give it a test to see what it was look like. And because of I've been using the shroud to help keep it absolutely centered to help me open out the back more, I found it to be exactly centered to my PnP bulb I currently have in there. This is just the projector and XB35 5k bulb on the old ballasts and relay harness system from my vender compared to the old H4 6k hi/low bulb:
    P1010007.JPGP1010008.JPG
    IMG_2640 sized.jpg

Update
    Since I'm getting close to getting the projector to sit at the depth that I think I want it to, I started sanding down the PVC 2x1/2 adapter or whatever it's called so it will fit snugly in the back of the projector like so. I will of course likely be cutting most of the PVC off, and applying some heat shielding mat inside the PVC to make sure it doesn't deform from the heat.
    P1010006.JPGP1010005.JPG

Update
    Ok I finally got some progress a LOT closer to what I've been trying to accomplish. I had to use a heat gun in order to make the acrylic bend only at the corners like I was trying to do, and I had to use an acrylic block cut for me by TAP to use as a guide, and THEN reheat it up a little to make it line up more correctly on the housing, and this is then end result with the 3/16 thick piece. Obviously I shouldn't have sanded the end down before I found out it wasn't fitting on the housing yet. I have a 1/4 thick piece I am going to work on trimming on 1 edge so it will fit flush with the housing before I attempt to do this with it. It's not too short like the 3/16 thick piece is.
    Lens Perimeter.JPG
    Last edited by GTpro; January 12th, 2015, 12:54 AM.

Wow that is an incredible improvement in lighting output

Comment

Yes! I wasn't expecting such a big improvement from what I had after reading so much on the different levels in performance between all the projectors! This is actually pretty close to how I saw it with my own eyes, except there was a LOT more daylight left!

Comment

Here's just the PnP bulb.
        IMG_2641 sized.jpg

Here's just the Morimoto Mini H1 pattern. Notice how this is only half the beam, which is also more than the whole width of the PnP beam!
        IMG_2642 sized.jpg

Comment

The pictures make it appear that both outputs have an orange-ish horizontal band at the bottom. Where did that come from?
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Came from my fog lights which I forgot to turn off for the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by GTpro View Post
              Came from my fog lights which I forgot to turn off for the picture.
              You'd probably forget that they were on at all, with how lame that fog output is lol.

Comment

With this car, maybe.

Comment

Since I'm getting close to getting the projector to sit at the depth that I think I want it to, I started sanding down the PVC 2x1/2 adapter or whatever it's called so it will fit snugly in the back of the projector like so. I will of course likely be cutting most of the PVC off, and applying some heat shielding mat inside the PVC to make sure it doesn't deform from the heat.
                  P1010006.JPGP1010005.JPG

Next is to figure out how deep to make the custom lens. It's really hard to measure where the actual projector lens ends with only a simple tape measure. It's also hard to tell what the specs are of the lens in this housing that I'm trying to create something similar to: http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bmd...39034.jpg.html
                  Last edited by GTpro; November 3rd, 2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

By the way, are there any good chrome paints out there I can use to repaint the housing inside so it looks relatively OEM?

Comment

By the way, are there any good chrome paints out there I can use to repaint the housing inside so it looks relatively OEM?
                      Reading past threads on this topic leads me to believe there are no spray paint priced options that will not look obviously amateur-ish.
                      How about finding a donor reflector and transplant it in front of your housing? Think of it as a "shroud"

Comment

The inside of this was the reflector unfortunately. I have never seen a 4x6 housing that isn't like that. I had to take the chrome off so it wouldn't peel itself off later after I finished.

Comment

I realize that. The donor housing of my ongoing 7" fog lights also has the reflector built into the housing. What I mean is get another pair, or some random reflector that can be cut to fit into your current project, to be placed around the projector. Then it looks like it has the original reflector, even though it is placed a bit forward from the original position.

Comment

oOOoh now I understand! Just use anything that can fit or cut to fit?

Comment

oOOoh now I understand! Just use anything that can fit or cut to fit?
                              At this point, it's either find something agreeable in terms of price and/or agreeable in terms of the appearance of the facets. That is assuming you have a preference in how the non-functional reflector facets look like. In some low beams, the ECE-like slope is visually noticeable in the pattern of the reflector. In some of them, the pattern looks more left-right-symmetrical:

I mention this because since the reflector is strictly cosmetic, one can argue that the selection is akin to choosing among the projector shrouds; you pick one that has the visual features you like, and it has no bearing on functionality whatsoever.

And just in case you want to experiment with things, you can use acrylic panels or sheet metal to make all sorts of cover that hides the projector.

Then you can incorporate whatever new visual shape you want, or echo another visual shape from some other part of your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X