2001 Altima "Bad Weather Build"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Altima "Bad Weather Build"

Recently TRS offered a limited time only GB for 3800K bulbs. After some thought I decided to grab a pair for the winter since lower Kelvin ratings tend to reflect off the road better during inclement weather. Currently I'm running Matsu G4 ballast's which as everyone knows will NOT work consistently with aftermarket bulbs so I knew I'd need to get at least a new pair of ballasts as well. All the while I was thinking how I missed having a decent high beam. Originally I was looking at getting a pair of B-stock MD2S X's but then I saw Kobi's new build thread for his bike that used 13-14' Avalon D4S projectors and they fit and looked perfect. I contacted Andrew@TRS about a pair, but they did not have any, and I quote, "They're a PITA to find".

So I shelled out for a pair of damaged housing's on eBay after confirming both housings had the bulb clip's. Based on approx dimensions from Kobi and Andrew these should actually fit nicely in my housings. This left me still with the issue of no high beam. I found a pair of 9005 based ES fog projectors that I will be mounting upside down and using 9011 HIR's to solve that problem. All of this will be going into a pair of DEPO black housings. Parking light and fog lights are still up in the air. The fog's may stay halogen and either use yellow halogen's or I may use a pair of amber LED PnP bulbs.

This build will definitely take some time, although hopefully not as long as Satrya's ongoing fog retrofit. Between work, full time classes, wedding planning, and house hunting this will have to fit in those cracks somewhere.

Tentative build includes. . .

Depo black housing's
    13-14' Avalon D4S Square projectors
    ES 9005 fog projectors
    TRS 3800K D2S bulbs
    TRS xB Ballasts (pending their release)
    9011 HIR halogens
    TRS 9006 relay harness w/ 9005 outputs
    TRS 9007 MotoControl harness

As of right now, the Depo and Avalon housings have been ordered. Once the Avalon's come in, it'll be time to have some fun.

Originally posted by cthunder
    The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
    Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Wow, a whole new retrofit just for some new bulbs, this is going to be interesting. 3800k for the win!

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
    FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Subscribed, are those the housings that I sent you?

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
      Headlight Setup: MH1 7.0 xb35 5500k bulbs acme ballasts MGG
      Performance: 5.7 Hemi MDS, W5A580 Muffler delete, K&N Intake
      Appearance: SRT8 Challenger Wheels
      Check out my tuning page on Facebook!-------> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rapid...62482277210221

Comment

Interesting. I'm with that_guy. A whole new retro fit for just bad weather. Are you going to be swapping headlights when winter rolls around?
        2010 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by Fstrsn View Post
          This left me still with the issue of no high beam. I found a pair of 9005 based ES fog projectors that I will be mounting upside down and using 9011 HIR's to solve that problem.
          I could be wrong, but I believe an upside down fog, even with HIR, may not have sufficient brightness to cover the forward distance. I'm not saying it won't work for your use case (since I'm not familiar with the environment you're planning on using these in), but I believe the distance reach won't be anything like a classic high beam (if there is such a thing).

One suggestion:
          How about keeping a halogen high beam (not an inverted foglight) on the headlight housing, and then have 2 pairs of foglights in the foglight location. One pair will be the traditional foglight, with foglight wiring+switch. The other pair will be like a "quad" to the high beams, and inverted like you planned. Have a 3-way switch so you can have regular high beam and inverted fogs turn on simultaneously or separately in response to the oem high beam switch.

My reasoning:
          (1) Under normal driving conditions, I would prefer a classic high beam if I need one on long night freeway driving. In most of these cases, I would rather not have the "wide high beam" (from the inverted fogs) to turn on, as there may be oncoming traffic that is just out of range of the classic high beams, but is within the range of the wide high beam.
          (2) On twisty roads, having the normal foglights may help in terms of cornering lights, and then the occasional inverted fogs in response to flash-to-pass can help confirm if indeed that is a deer that is about to dart in your way as you round a corner. In that case, whether the classic high beam turns on or off doesn't matter.

This build will definitely take some time, although hopefully not as long as Satrya's ongoing fog retrofit.

A contest on how long can a build thread can linger perhaps?

Between work, full time classes, wedding planning, and house hunting this will have to fit in those cracks somewhere.
          Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Subscribed.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by that_guy318 View Post
            Wow, a whole new retrofit just for some new bulbs, this is going to be interesting. 3800k for the win!
            Lol, I wanted to use those Avalon projector's since I saw them since they fit the styling lines of my housing's. I just thought they were to big. Now that I know they'll fit I figured why not use the new bulbs too.

Originally posted by Liber_Jr View Post
            Subscribed, are those the housings that I sent you?
            The eBay ones? Yea. I grabbed em last night since the price that Andrew tentatively gave me was right around what those housings cost. And Andrew couldn't give me a timeline unfortunately. :-/

Originally posted by dreamer1213 View Post
            Interesting. I'm with that_guy. A whole new retro fit for just bad weather. Are you going to be swapping headlights when winter rolls around?
            I may end up using these year round, but for now it's looking like they'll be for the winter.

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            I could be wrong, but I believe an upside down fog, even with HIR, may not have sufficient brightness to cover the forward distance. I'm not saying it won't work for your use case (since I'm not familiar with the environment you're planning on using these in), but I believe the distance reach won't be anything like a classic high beam (if there is such a thing).

One suggestion:
            How about keeping a halogen high beam (not an inverted foglight) on the headlight housing, and then have 2 pairs of foglights in the foglight location. One pair will be the traditional foglight, with foglight wiring+switch. The other pair will be like a "quad" to the high beams, and inverted like you planned. Have a 3-way switch so you can have regular high beam and inverted fogs turn on simultaneously or separately in response to the oem high beam switch.

My reasoning:
            (1) Under normal driving conditions, I would prefer a classic high beam if I need one on long night freeway driving. In most of these cases, I would rather not have the "wide high beam" (from the inverted fogs) to turn on, as there may be oncoming traffic that is just out of range of the classic high beams, but is within the range of the wide high beam.
            (2) On twisty roads, having the normal foglights may help in terms of cornering lights, and then the occasional inverted fogs in response to flash-to-pass can help confirm if indeed that is a deer that is about to dart in your way as you round a corner. In that case, whether the classic high beam turns on or off doesn't matter.

A contest on how long can a build thread can linger perhaps?

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Subscribed.
            I've never felt like I needed more distance with RX's or FX-R's, just on dark roads having no light above the cutoff is a bit unnerving. And I'd love to keep a halogen high beam but my OG bulb is 9007, so unless I use a bi-xenon projector I have to make something like this work. And the amount of room I have to work with is only about the size of a Blazer, Matchbox, or ES/IS projector. And there's almost no room behind my fog's because of the bumper support beam bracket. I could barely fit the MD2S 2.0, nevermind trying to do a quad fog projector.

Thanks for the congrats on the wedding. We're currently ~55 days out so things are starting to come together.

Comment

Cool, I can't wait to see how it looks! Andrew is currently looking for 2 pairs himself, so I imagine how hard they are to find.

Comment

What about one of those ls460 high beams, aren't the bulbs side entry too?

I'm glad I have those denso ballasts I got cheap from TRS ($25) during their moving sale since my matsushitas won't work with the 3fives probably.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
                FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                  Cool, I can't wait to see how it looks! Andrew is currently looking for 2 pairs himself, so I imagine how hard they are to find.
                  Mmmm, I only found a pair on eBay. It seems like there's a lot of LH sides, but the RH are very few and far between.

I'm glad I have those denso ballasts I got cheap from TRS ($25) during their moving sale since my matsushitas won't work with the 3fives probably.
                  Way to big. I can barely fit a Blazer, Matchbox, or ES/IS300 in the space I have.

Comment

oh this is where its going.. if you have same headlight height on the 98 maxima it should fit, tight, but fits..

Comment

Originally posted by kobi411 View Post
                      oh this is where its going.. if you have same headlight height on the 98 maxima it should fit, tight, but fits..
                      The Avalon or the LS460 that that_guy was referring to?

Comment

Yes they are. We also have the Lexus GS low beams which are similar to the IS but have a 2.5" lens (TSX-R):

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...rojectors.html

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
                          Yes they are. We also have the Lexus GS low beams which are similar to the IS but have a 2.5" lens (TSX-R):

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...rojectors.html
                          To bad there's no way in hell I can fit one of those there. I can barely fit a MH1 5.0 in this spot, and that's with hacking up the back 1/3 of the housing.

Comment

To bad there's no way in hell I can fit one of those there. I can barely fit a MH1 5.0 in this spot, and that's with hacking up the back 1/3 of the housing.
                            Yeah you're definitely limited to something short but wide, which means the Avalon is a good option.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
                              Yeah you're definitely limited to something short but wide, which means the Avalon is a good option.
                              I was talking about the spot where I'm looking to put the 9005 based fog projector for a high beam.

But where the Avalon's are going I can definitely fit them since they're shorter than a MH1, MD2S, or FX-R; and because of my halogen bowl design width is not a concern at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X